View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Music Discussions
 Print Thread
Music that may ashame one
JohnH
In honor of Martin Luther King Jr, whom I would love absent his religiousness I offer this music.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C63KaGAk1Is[/video]
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaNzxniXxYE[/video]

If anyone cares the author of "Strange Fruit" was a communist who took in the children of the Rosenberg's. A man named Abel Meerorpol.

I am ashamed that I do not have the same level of integrity.

Added embed -Skeeve
Edited by JohnH on 01/21/2012 20:52

Theory_Execution
I have the first song and the second. Passionate artists.

I do not know how I would have turned out had I grown in similar times.

I recall having a heated argument with my nan, she believes 'blacks' and 'whites' shouldn't get together, because the 'half-caste' children they would have would experience brutal bullying.

That was not at all my experience in school (although I have heared interracial offpring can suffer a lot of hastle from their non-caucasian roots), and I have always been of the impression that mixed race people can hit a height of physical beauty rarely seen in 'pure-blooded' folk.

seeker
We really aren't that far removed from that era in the US. Racism is not as overt but still just as virulent.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
We it was still in a lot of people life-times that you Americans had segregation and laws drawing destinctions between groups of people (still do in terms of sexual preference, as do we) and that is bound to be a big retarding factor.

seeker
TE, it isn't nice to call all Americans retarded. Mentally challenged is the term we prefer.Cool
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

JohnH
TE, It is interesting that I have for a long time found women (I am disturbingly heterosexual) of mixed ethnicity very attractive. I do not use the term race, we can all breed together, what great fun.

Sorry seeker many americans are at least ignorant.

Theory_Execution
I agree JohnH, the word 'race' is annoying, but most do have a grasp of what you mean by it when used, and seeing as some use the word to carve out a subset of our species, and then throw hatred at it we are forced to use it.

What annoys me, is that race and religion are so interchanged, so that where you 'attack' someone for their ill founded beliefs, some assume you are making an attack on their skin colour/nationality etc.

seeker
LOL, John.

Unfortunately racism in the US is driven by more than just ignorance. Racism in the US is partly economic. Slavery was what made us an agricultural power early on. Now our economy is, in part, helped along by cheap labor from South and Central America.

We've always justified our exploitation of slaves and immigrants by convincing ourselves that the people being exploited were somehow not really people.

Jump to Forum: