View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » Funny Zone
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Thoughts to Ponder
derF
I planted some bird seed. A bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it.
~~~
I had amnesia once -- or twice.
~~~
I went to San Francisco . I found someone's heart. Now what?
~~~
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.
~~~
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
~~~
If the world were a logical place, men would be the ones who ride horses sidesaddle.
~~~
What is a "free" gift? Aren't all gifts free?
~~~
They told me I was gullible and I believed them.
~~~
Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up,
he'll never be able to merge his car onto the freeway.
~~~
Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.
~~~
One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.
~~~
My weight is perfect for my height -- which varies.
~~~
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.
~~~
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
~~~
How can there be self-help "groups"?
~~~
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

RayvenAlandria
gawdfairies, yer silly.

;silly;

Bob of QF
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
--- Philip K. Dick, "How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later", 1978
----- US science fiction author (1928 - 1982)

Edited by Bob of QF on 09/07/2008 01:20
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

neilmarr
***I went to San Francisco . I found someone's heart. Now what?***

Ever hear the hilarious (and dead) genius Spike Milligan's version of the famous song, Derf? It was called 'I left my teeth in San Francisco'. A big hit in Ireland.

Tony Bnnett, by the way, knocked back 'I Left my Heart in San Francisco' before Sinatra picked up on it because he thought the song would have only local appeal.

Cheers. Neil

derF
neilmarr wrote:
***I went to San Francisco . I found someone's heart. Now what?***

Ever hear the hilarious (and dead) genius Spike Milligan's version of the famous song, Derf? It was called 'I left my teeth in San Francisco'. A big hit in Ireland.

New one on me Neil, will snoop around and see if I can turn it up. Tony Bennett performed at the last Monterey Jazz Festival here. I listened very carefully but failed to detect anything very jazz like in his performance. Even though he was very entertaining.

neilmarr
Milligan -- with Peter Sellers and the rest of a loony gang called The Goons (the forerunner to Monty Python) -- made some great songs in the fifties and sixties, Derf. There was I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas, The Ying Tong Song and his version of I Must Go Back to the Sea Again, to the Sea and the Rolling Sky, with the immortal line "I left my shoes and socks down there. I wonder if they're dry." Milligan and The Goons you'll find all over YouTube and the net. All good, innocent old fun in the days when comics didn't have to say 'fuck' to get a laugh. Neil

Hoots. Neil

neilmarr
Hya Derf: I just spent a constructive early beer break after keying in 'Spike Milligan and the Goons' at youtube. The songs I mentioned earlier are there.

Also came across this forgotten old gem:

http://www.youtub...re=related

It's Milligan, as a British Army Sergeant Major, reading THE LORD'S PRAYER on the BBC's old religious Epilogue, the five-minute God kiss off to the night's programming in the early sixties.

It reminded me that Milligan was maybe the first ever commedian to openly take the mickey out of Christianity on TV.

Bestest. Neil
Edited by catman on 09/07/2008 04:55

neilmarr
I'm sorry, Derf. Now that I'm tuned in, I just can't stop watching Milligan again. I've been in stitches. Tears rolling down my cheeks. Last one, I promise:

http://www.youtub...re=related

Here's Milligan as a Cornish Member of Parliament, telling the Most Boring Story of the Year, and as a Scotland Yard Police Inspector telling the story of the Good Samaritan.

Hoots. Neil
Edited by catman on 09/07/2008 04:57

catman
Those are hilarious, neilmarr, especially The Lord's Prayer. Incidentally, I took the liberty of making them clickable. To make links clickable, all you need to do is highlight them and press the 'url' button, in much the same way italics are entered.
Edited by catman on 09/07/2008 05:09
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
Thanks, Cat. Im not sure how to make them live links myself. Does it take an admin member or is there something we rank and filers can do to save you the trouble? Best. Neil

***A theist and Atheist walk into a bar......*** (Derf's signature line)

Hope it was an iron bar, Derf.

Skeeve
Neil. all you have to do is click the 'url' button below the text window, then put the URL between the brackets. That's it. Cut and paste or type it manually, whichever.

The finished product will look like this:

Download source  Code
(url]http://www.yoursite.com/[/url]

As you can see, it's simple enough you can type the brackets and url manually just as fast, which is how I usually do it.

*edited to include coding, used parenthesis on first bracket to allow it to show*
Edited by Skeeve on 09/07/2008 10:10
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

RayvenAlandria
I usually paste in whatever I'm linking to and then I highlight it and press the little "url" button. That places the url codes in the proper place.

Neil, when you make a quickie post, look at the bottom of this box and you see various buttons, b, i, u, and the next one is url, then mail etc...

derF
Excellent stuff Neil, thanks for the links and for your effort. Now leave me alone so I can watch some more of this stuff!

neilmarr
Thanks, chaps. Will do. Simple, eh? N

Jump to Forum: