View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » Funny Zone
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Missing Cock
Theory_Execution
But atoms were not here at the 'beggining' of the universe. The HBB model posits that there was an opaque mass of intimate quarks and photons.

Apparently, zero point energy is a fad in the theoretical physics area now, the idea has been put forward that seeing as we know empty space is not (it is the random generation and anhilation of particles and their antiparticles) it is a possibility that something came from nothing.

I am still not sold on the idea, as the fact in brackets above requires space. Maybe one day people will know.

cheshiredragon
In the grand scheme of things, roughly 350,000-400,000 years after the Big Bang is a hell of a lot closer to the beginning of the universe than where we are now AND it is the furthest back we can 'see'. If it will make you feel better I can get a tattoo next to the atom with the Feynman's path integral, Wheeler-DeWitt, wave functions and a slew of other equations and theories that try to prove/explain how the universe came into existence. My purpose wasn't to create the exact time-line of the universe, simply a general outline. Again, you will see it come to life the more I get done Smile

I used the atom because everyone is familiar with it as the first 'object' in the universe(for the 'dumb' AND they make up almost EVERYTHING) and when asked about it, it is easy to explain the story. I have only had it since 2/11 so no one, other than you, out of the dozens whom have already asked me about it have gone further than the simple explanation.

Even more simply put, just to show you how 'dumb' the average population is. I brought a 10.5cm telescope to rehab(can see the rings of Saturn with this bad boy). I pointed it at the Moon since it is the most common object known in the sky(after the Sun). At least 80% of the people that looked through that telescope said they have never looked through a telescope. Not only that, but I had to explain to many of them how the Moon went through phases of waxing an waning. Then one dude chimed in that he waxed his car before he came to rehab. *sigh* You wonder how some of these people made it this far in life.
That's right, I said it...

Theory_Execution
I think a few quarks on the nuckles could be good, you could have an up up down on either hand and have your own large hadron collider!

catman
CD: Of what optical design is your 10.5 cm telescope? I have an old 20 cm Schmidt-Cassegrain. I'd love to have a 10-13 cm refractor (preferably apochromatic, but they are expensive!).
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
CATMAN: This was the ONLY info I could find on it. I bought it for my son for XMAS, but he wasn't really interested in it. SO, I guess I got it for myself now. I have not been up late enough to see Saturn's rings, but it is hard enough focusing in on the 4 Galilean moons of Jupiter, but still kewl to see. I know I need help getting this damn thing collimated(alligned/focused?) properly.

http://www.google...CFQQ8wIwAA

Merged on 02/28/2012 12:27:
OH, just an added note....A lot of what the reviews say are true. I probably should take it back and spend a few hundred extra $ on a really nice one from a telescope/astronomy store....NOT from Toys R Us.
Edited by cheshiredragon on 02/28/2012 13:27

Skeeve

Forum Admin Notice:
Auto-post merge has been disable for this fora

Sorry about that, CD, I thought I fixed all the forums that needed post merge.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

cheshiredragon
NP, I noticed it the other night and I thought it was a rather kewl feature to have two posts by the same person in a row to merge.

Skeeve
Yeah, it's an anti-spam feature I believe. It can be turned off or on in any forum. It's really not needed with our small active membership.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
C_D: As I expected, it's a Newtonian reflector. The mounting is what usually lets inexpensive telescopes down. If you're using 100x, every slight movement of the scope caused by wind or focusing is magnified 100 times. Cheap refractors often have lots of chromatic aberration, but a reflector doesn't produce that.

I used to be active in amateur astronomy, but my eyes aren't very good any more and the light pollution is so bad where I live that I don't do it much any more (although I enjoy using my 7x50 binoculars...I can see almost as much with them here as I should be able to see with my unaided eyes at a dark sky site.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: