View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
WTF is wrong with the Catholic Church?
Skeeve
Girl scouts? Really?

Several Girl Scout troops in Chantilly, Va., have been banned from meeting at a local Catholic church and a neighboring school.

St. Timothy Catholic Church said that scouts won’t be allowed to meet or wear their uniforms on church property. The edict also applies to the adjacent St. Timothy School, which enrolls students from preschool to eighth grade.

According to the Arlington Diocese, the pastor did not believe the National Girl Scouts membership to the World Association of Girl Guides & Girl Scouts aligned with the message of the church, stemming from a perceived connection between WAGGGS and Planned Parenthood.

The Girl Scout Council of the Nation's Capital said its parent/national organization is not WAGGGS, but instead Girl Scouts of the USA, which does not have a relationship with Planned Parenthood.

http://www.nbcwas...15843.html

I'm sure if Jesus were real, he'd approve.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

JohnH
It is not just the catholic church.

http://www.journa.../302219934

Oddly enough I was happy my two children never expressed any interest in the boy scouts. I find them and the girl scouts organizations that prepare youth to be good soldiers and followers. Not what I would want my children to become. That may be a somewhat paranoid opinion but at least I can make a legitimate argument for it. It is not bat shit crazy like the legislator in Indiana or the catholic church.

Skeeve
Yeah, I saw that and discarded it as attention seeking.

Morris said he did some Web-based research and found allegations that the Girl Scouts are a tactical arm of Planned Parenthood

And he's an idiot

In regards to the OP, maybe this is a good thing. Maybe they're getting a little too political and their tax exempt status might get looked at.

Fingers crossed.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Theory_Execution
Think about it Skeeve, as an aging Catholic Priest with fire in your loins, you dont want little girls cluttering up the place when you could have a few boy scouts in tight shorts securely underage there instead!

Cynic
I have a hard time envisioning tax-exempt status being stripped away in the current political climate, in which a man like Santorum actually seems like he could win the Republican nomination. It seems like in this "rule of law" nation, the last thing anyone is allowed to do is actually enforce the laws...

Interestingly enough, I've done a fair amount of research on the Girl Scouts myself (trying to decide if I wanted my girls involved in it) and I read about their own website. In particular:

http://www.girlsc...al/wagggs/

So if Girl Scouts USA gives money to WAGGGS and WAGGGS gives money to and/or promotes materials created by Planned Parenthood, then sure, maybe. What does that imply about the Girl Scouts? Who knows. Probably social responsibility. Can't have that...

Never being flush with cash, the decision has been difficult for me. On the one hand, the organization isn't nearly as offensive on the gay/religious front as the BSA. But of course what they say at the top doesn't matter as much as what happens at the local level. But mainly, every time I look into I keep coming away with the impression that it's literally a pyramid scheme, in which a parent's desire to encourage their daughters to learn, grow, experience, and fit in are pitted against financial considerations.

Everything about it is expensive and it's engineered such that you need to change uniforms every two years on top of that. The camps are outrageously expensive. You have to purchase your own awards, so like a parent in my situation might be secretly tempted to have their daughter slow down and not accomplish as much because because groceries are occasionally more important than a sticker book.

And then of course there are the cookie sales, which has become so important to the GSUSA that one seriously wonders if the entire enterprise is designed to support it and not the other way around.

I enjoyed the BSA for the time I spent in it. I eventually quit for reasons that didn't have much to do with the problems that I have with it now. But I never got the commercial, "everything we do is designed to make you spend more money" vibe from the BSA either.

seeker
The Republican Party and the Catholic Church vs Girl Scouts. When did my country turn into the WWE?

What are the preliminaries? Do we get to watch some GOP senators kick ass on some Brownies?

This is what happens when you start measuring things by their ideological purity. No organization is ever good enough to pass the scrutiny of the Catholic Church, most especially the Catholic Church.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

catman
I liked being a Cub Scout for the most part. I don't remember much about it, it was so long ago (ca. 1955).

seeker: LOL. The Catholic Church doesn't scrutinize itself unless public outrage forces it to. Even then, I wonder how much it accomplishes. It's a case of 'do as we say, not as we do'.

Theory_Execution
I was never in any form of boy scouts, although I did play Gaelic football as a kid, and then later Rugby Union (age 14 onwards).

I dont recall ever talking about scouts with my childhood friends, and we all didn't turn out so bad.

Jump to Forum: