Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Santorum on government and cellphones: Goddidit!
Skeeve
Surely the audience knew this was incorrect...?

Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum says that 20 years ago people couldn’t even imagine cell phones, but now they are commonplace because Americans “recognize the rights God has given every person.”

Speaking to supporters in Chillicothe, Ohio on Friday, the former Pennsylvania senator explained that the U.S. had “transformed the world” with the a new form of government.

“In the previous 2,000 years, life did not change,” he said. “And then America came around and said, ‘No, no more dictators, no more kings, no more classes, no more nobility.’ We believe in limited government, not an all-powerful state. We believe that if we liberate people, we recognize the rights that God has given every person then the world will change.”

“How many people have a cell phone?” he asked. “The young folks here, 20 years ago, there were no cell phones to speak of. And now people who 20 years ago couldn’t conceive of a cell phone, now can’t live without one.”

“Let me assure you if the government had taken over the technology sector of our economy 25 years ago, no one would ever have heard of a cell phone. Because what we would be doing is we would be making sure everybody had pagers and allocated them equivalently across everybody.”

According to the nonprofit research institute SRI International, over 10 million Americans had cell phones by 1992.

Watch this video from CNN, broadcast March. 2, 2012.

From Raw Story
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
He is so wrong on so many levels that it almost defies analysis. Personally I think his campaign has done more to show people just how trivial and out of touch the Republican Party has truly become than any other source.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

JohnH
Oddly enough I get to vote for Santorum in the California primary. The public decided to have an open primary, so I can vote for anyone not just members of my own political party (peace and freedom if you care). Great fun to vote for a man who is such a clown that him running for president guarantees that a republican cannot be elected.

cheshiredragon
NAME: MARTIN COOPER
DATE: 1973
COMPANY: MOTOROLA.

This is common knowledge....OR not in his case. I work for Verizon Wireless. That may be why I am privy to the cell phones stuff, even though most of what I do is network admin & support.
That's right, I said it...

Photon
As a practicing Catholic, Santorum was extremely oblivious in acknowledging part of the problem (for about 1000 years anyway) of the lack of scientific achievement: the tyranny of the Catholic Church which had a vested interest in keeping the population ignorant, and actively squelched those that questioned the Church's dogma. If not for the Catholic Church and its active campaign against those that questioned its tenets, we just might be having this conversation on Mars.

What an idiot.

Good thing America was around to invent democracy and get rid of all the tyrants in the world. And oh yeah, it's good to see that he understands the history of innovation: whenever the government gets involved, it distributes the new technology to everybody equally, which is why everyone in America has two cars, a supersonic jet, a He/Ne laser, a nuclear-capable device with complementary delivery system, an orbiting satellite observatory, and an MRI machine, all given by the government to everyone, at tax-payer's expense.

It disturbs me to see Santorum and Gingrich entertained as serious possibilities for president. The dysfunction that is U.S. politics combined with large sections of the population that employ faith-based thinking and emotionalism rearing its ugly head, I guess.

catman
Rick Sanitarium scares me to death. I think there is less chance of him beating Obama than of Romney doing so, but if he did...Yikes! Back to the heliocentric solar system, perhaps?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Theory_Execution
Gnawing at the ankles of giants...

seeker
Photon - Catholics and Christians in general tend to discount the Dark Ages. Inquisitions and Crusades tend to be portrayed more like intramural hockey games than as the bloody affairs they actually were.

Most histories of that era hardly even mention the role of the Church.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

schmoo
And yet the church was the most powerful agent of stagnation of the period!

Santorum scares me senseless, how did we get to this point, where the Republican party has such low quality candidates, AND IS DAMN PROUD OF IT?!?!

It's positively revolting.

seeker
Schmoo - Good to see you post again.

The funny part is that guys like Santorum have been a major part of the makeup of the Republican Party for decades now. They've just been smarter about muzzling them come the national elections.

This is an interesting take:

The Santorum Strategy is not just about Santorum. It is about pounding the most radical conservative ideas into the public mind by constant repetition during the Republican presidential campaign, whether by Santorum himself, by Gingrich or Ron Paul, by an intimidated Romney, or by the Republican House majority. The Republican presidential campaign is about a lot more than the campaign for the presidency. It is about guaranteeing a radical conservative future for America.

Edited by seeker on 03/13/2012 11:26

catman
The worst thing that we can do is to assume that 'it can't happen here' because Santorum is so extreme. I think he is less electable than Romney, but it isn't impossible. I have unbounded faith in the stupidity of the American electorate.

seeker
It already did happen here, we are still trying to recover from Bush II.

Cynic
I still think Santorum doesn't stand a chance, but it's looking increasingly like he might have Gingrich to thank for his ultimate failure. At this rate I wonder if we could convince Clinton to run and let the Democrats control the White House for a full 16 years.

seeker
Funny thing about Gingrich. His sugar daddy is a guy named Sheldon Adelson. Where it gets interesting is that Adelson has said that he wants Gingrich or Romney. I can't help but think that the reason Gingrich won't quit the race is because he splits the social conservative nutbag vote which helps prop Romney's campaign up.

Cynic
I can see where that would be a difficult thought to put aside once you'd had it. If it's easy to see that Santorum cannot win so long as Gingrich remains in the race, then Adelson would not only wins regardless of where he puts his money at this point, but it's actually doing more good on Gingrich.

seeker
The irony is that it may not matter who wins the Republican primary. Romney has been pushed so far to the right that he has to run away from his record as Governor of Massachusetts. He will be kept busy trying to separate himself from his own record without looking completely disingenuous.

Cynic
I'm afraid it may no longer be possible for Romney to avoid looking disingenuous.

seeker
Don't underestimate our national ADD. Will people still remember Romney's gaffes in November? I honestly think that once the primary is over Romney will give his convention speech and people will forget everything that happened during the primary.

JohnH
Sad news update. The new California open primary law does not apply to national elections, so I cannot vote for Santorum. It would have been a wonderful opportunity to thumb my nose at the republican party for such a dismal group of candidates.

Interesting the US senate and congressional primaries are both opened. I guess the only exclusion is to truly national elections like the president.

I checked and Michigan has slightly different rules.

And seeker, I have read more than one report that Gingrich was only running for the money. He knew he could not win but wanted one last chance at siphoning off campaign funds.

Jump to Forum: