View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Science
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Hypatia
"We don't know what's driving 96% of the universe".

"We define ourselves as intelligent; that's odd because we're doing the definition... "

http://www.dailym...verse_tech

cheshiredragon
With due respect, what are you trying to prove here?
45sec - 58sec is my pull Smile

We are sardust:
H - Hydrogen
O - Oxygen
C- Carbon
Ca - Calcium
N - Nitrogen
P - Phosphorus

My tattoos will express this...keep an update.
err well I will heh Smile
I love Neil Tyson, Michio Kaku and several others
That's right, I said it...

catman
I like Neil Tyson more than I like Mike Tyson.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
If you'd said "I like Neil DeGrasse Tyson better than I like genital herpes" I'm not sure it would have come across as any less positive. ;-)

Theory_Execution
Youn say that, but genital herpes grow on ya.

JohnH
Getting back to a more rational discussion of Mr. Tyson. He exhibited in the video something I am fairly certain I have noticed before. Trying to explain 4th and beyond dimensions he described the situation of a bug trapped in a sheet of paper as 2 dimensional. Wrong, paper has a thickness and is in fact 3 dimensional. Moreover how could you trap any imaginable bug in a sheet of paper without folding it over again creating a third dimension. So my mind drifted off thinking about this and I missed whatever his point was entirely.

In the process of talking about science in a fashion that could possibly be understood by all he makes misstatements of fact and allows people who have some understanding of science and physics to actually become confused.

I have no doubt he is a very intelligent person, he does have the credentials to suggest that. But he has fooled people into believing that he can explain complex problems to the "masses" when in fact his explanations are not accurate and when thought of can confuse.

Again I do not think this is the first time I have noticed this tendency, and I may be being picky because I know just enough math and physics to get myself in trouble.

Jump to Forum: