View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Place Specific
JohnH
I was taking the ferry from Marin to San Francisco the other day and I started thinking about some things. I have lived all but a short portion of my 65 years within about 30 miles of the place I was born. With the exception of about 8 months in New Mexico (a state I could also live in) I have spent the entirety of my life in California.

I know things. I know that the current San Francisco State University was a normal school and that its marine institute in Marin is where the cables were woven for the Golden Gate bridge, and before that it was a cod salting plant. I know that the BART tube is at the limits of the stretch of its cables and is at risk in the event of a major earthquake. I sat my older child on a concrete wall below the north tower of the Golden Gate bridge and found great joy in his smile.

I fucked two women (not at the same time, I do have some morals) on the bluffs of the Marin headlands. I know that every one of the houses I have lived in still stand. I can visit my fraternal grandparents and my parents graves if I want (in general I do not).

If I want to score some drugs the 16th and Mission Bart station plaza would be a good choice. The old motels on MacArthur Blvd. should still be a good place to find a prostitute.

I know that the Hayward fault passes underneath the visitors bench at Memorial Stadium (in memory of Californians killed in the Great War) in Berkeley. I once had a very hot shooting afternoon at the gymnasium at Saint Marys.

My entire life is in one place and I think I am happy by that. I know my territory and I enjoy it. I think that no matter where I was born I would live there for my entirety. I do know that I was lucky enough to be born in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.

Cynic
And who says familiarity breeds contempt? :)

Your post is a good reminder that not only isn't there time to do everything one might want to do in life, but that many experiences are mutually exclusive.

seeker
LOL I don't even know where to find hookers or drugs where I live. I feel inadequate.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
LOL I don't even know where to find hookers or drugs where I live. I feel inadequate.

Thats funny, because the police where Kowboy lives dont know where to find the hookers either!

Badumtsch!

I have lived in two cities in my short life - theyre about 80miles apart, but it is likely I will remain in this city for the rest of my life.

In 7 years I have lived in 7 properties in this city, and cannot see a way in which I will ever become an owner of one - I am set to move again in two months, no idea where to yet.

I could call any number of friends and have near any drug delivered to my front door, I know of one brothel which I will never use (side note, a friend of a friend is a 'sex addict' and attends sex addicts anonymous, during a session one attendee stated "My sexual preferences include, but are not limited to, women, men, children, animals and objects."Wink.

I don't have kids, there are no large fault lines through my country and what the hell is a 'bluff'?

Kowboy
John:

Yours is an interesting post. Is this introspection due to age? I've lived within a hundred miles of my birthplace with small exceptions too, but that may be about to change.
Edited by Kowboy on 04/15/2012 19:45

Kowboy
Theory_Execution wrote:

Thats funny, because the police where Kowboy lives dont know where to find the hookers either!

Badumtsch!

TE:

I don't get it.

Theory_Execution
Twas a quip about you murdering hookers in your home town, and hiding the bodies from Police and anyone who would care to look for them.

I have no reason to believe you have murdered a hooker, or any other man woman of child in your life - but the way your thread about your legal issues went, and the responses I have read from other annonymous internet posters, it fits in well.

JohnH
Actually kowboy I am not old I have transfromed into grandparenthood. I was old at one time and was sure of it when I went through the Tenderloin and passed two hookers and neither offered me a date.

TE a bluff is a "steep promontory, bank or cliff" or it is the attempt to confuse your opponents in a poker game.

The OP was a moment of joy at what I am and where I am. Please, you should understand that it is routine for me to enjoy a view of the Golden Gate bridge. Or to walk across that bridge and have to walk dead center of the walkway because I once saw my older child fall out of the carrier to his death, only in my mind but chilling none the less.

I do just enjoy the fact that I know so much about where I live and it is because I have been here for the entirety of my life. I know there are those who move all the time and enjoy that, I do not think I am one of those people.

I have an attachment to my place. I have joy in knowing it very intimately. I have joy in knowing my family is in this place and not likely to leave.

We should all be so lucky.

seeker
John - All facetiousness aside there is definitely a certain comfort in knowing your surroundings intimately. Little things like knowing the best ways to get around during rush hour or where all the small theater companies are located in Denver are small but important pleasures IMO.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
I think the internet and mobile phones have drawn lines between lives once lived in fluid motion.

People rarely get actively lost nowourdays, I mean in the sense that they have set out to be somewhere, missed a turning and survey their surroundings to find a way back. Do I recognise that high rise? Then I must be facing due south. Is that smell a bakery? Then I cant be too far from the pub.

A 'random walk' subtly guided by the minds map has become a digital logging of the nearest information marker, and the following of a set route - all due to ease of access to information.

We have gained time it is argued, but have we lost the wonder of discovering a jewel in a city you claim to live in?

A writer called Will Self decided he was losing out as a result of the modern method of transport, so opts to walk as often as he can, even while travelling from the UK to the US. He flies over, but instead of getting a taxi from the airport to his hotel, he will walk.

seeker
Interesting TE. Maybe that's another good reason not to get a smartphone. Of course my unwillingness to pay for data plans still is the biggest reason.

Theory_Execution
I do not have a smart phone (although the one I use is undoubtably has more features than the first mobile I ever owned) and do not think I should ever get one.

I have explained before, I like my computer, I spend a lot of time with it, but when I leave work/home and go out into the world to be social, I want to be social.

What you see looking across bars and even out eating is people heads bowed down and fingers playing with smart phones. Have you ever seen Wall-E? It's a lot like the people on the space ship.

Wall E is a good film by the way, worth a watch.

seeker
Wall-E is a great film.

I have to admit, coffee shops are like that these days. Everyone is texting or pounding away on a laptop (there's a bit of imagery).

The bar near where I live always has a cop parked in the parking lot. Presumably anyone who gets in their car when leaving is getting arrested.

Theory_Execution
Might be his favourite arrest spot, they leave, mobile in hand, operate the vehicle with mobile still in hand boom, easy ticket.

JohnH
TE, I find your posts interesting if sometimes obtuse. This said not finding fault, but because I sometimes have trouble understanding things.

The random walk is one of my joys in life. I will admit that coming onto Cabrini Green in Chicago was a bit disconcerting (one of the most notoriously violent housing projects in the US if you did not know, now gone). Particularly after I had gone through the "Gold Coast" one of the wealthiest parts of Chicago.

We do not connect well to each other. Some of it is legitimate fear some of it is manufactured fear.

Electronics have distanced us from each other. I enjoy the internet because I can express myself freely here. I also note that when in public many are ignoring the rest because they are texting or other wise not paying attention to what is around them.

Although paying attention to what is occurring around you can pose risks. A long story short I was witness to a meeting of criminals and one of them stared me off such that I had to go around the corner to a bar.

I do like to know where I am. If you ever read "Tales of the City" I have walked the steps that lead down from Barbary Lane, actually Macondray Lane.

It is about enjoying where you are and knowing that place with some detail. I wish you all that.

JohnH
seeker, ah yes the routes which will allow you to get around traffic. I must say that you have used them and found them wanting on occasion because others think they will work also. The Bay Bridge at rush hour can be interesting but if you know the patterns it can be fairly easy.

Do you know also the routes to take when drunk to avoid a DUI. The one time I did not pay attention to this I got popped.

Once again knowledge of place.

Cynic
The route I avoid to prevent a DUI is the one that leads to my car...

I'd be curious what the internet has really done to interpersonal relationships. I tend to think there is a net gain, but that traditional modes have been reduced. Facebook is an interesting case. Even if you merely lurk and don't offer yourself up much, reading the thoughts of others that do gives a sense of communication that might not have been there otherwise, and for those who feel the need to blather on it, I bet they get a sense of that too.

There's definitely no real substitute for face to face communication, but it does have limitations and drawbacks. It's nice that there are options.

Theory_Execution
John, you are not the first to say I am obtuse - other times I have been called a 'cunt' due to this. Either someone on here, or a friend of someone on here became a Facebook aquaintance, I believe I offended him. I hope I explained myself well.

I am incredibly bored by the obviousness of much of the conversations that people have each and every day - take Facebook as an example, 'I did this.' picture attached, someone responds 'Cool story bro.'.

And in other instances subjects discussed are depressing (hell I post a lot of UK political stuff, and the odd believer murders/tortures someone stories).

So if we cant have interesting / deep but joyous conversations, I try to twist the statement, story or picture in a way that will deliver some fun or an obscure but interesting link.

I also like talking pish.

I do not support Drink Driving, a friend was in a pretty serious coma after such a decision was made.

But I do have a story of an Irish fella making his appearance in court. So Michael decided to lead his own defense in his trial, facing the charges of Drink Driving, he stood proudly chest out, chin up. He dropped his gaze, notes scanned briefly, pausing, drawing the Jury closer to him. "Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, I plead innocent to these outlandish charges put before us today. I had eight pints before I got into the car that night - drinking and driving my arse.".

seeker
JohnH wrote:

seeker, ah yes the routes which will allow you to get around traffic. I must say that you have used them and found them wanting on occasion because others think they will work also. The Bay Bridge at rush hour can be interesting but if you know the patterns it can be fairly easy.

Do you know also the routes to take when drunk to avoid a DUI. The one time I did not pay attention to this I got popped.

Once again knowledge of place.

Much as Cynic implied, I avoid driving when I imbibe. Fortunately I really don't drink much.

cheshiredragon
I moved 1300mi away from my birthplace when I was 23. All because I wanted to get away from my parents.
As far as drinking and then driving goes, when I was 20 I drank rocket fuel, AKA Goldschlager and rolled my truck 3.5 times. I drove 30 miles and totaled my truck with under 1 mile from home. I walked away with a bump on my noggin and a cut on my finger. lesson learned.
While I never drank and drove after that, I did let alcohol get the best of me and went through rehab twice this year. They tried cramming the idea of a god thing down my throat, but I still resisted. While I still drink it is not a case and it is not every night.
The smart phone and laptop is by far the best thing that ever happened to me. I carry my MacBook Pro everywhere and I can be off in my own little world if I begin to get uncomfortable in an outside situation. I am antisocial, but not by choice. I am simply bad at being social. Everyone on my facebook aside from 2 childhood friends(that live back in my hometown) and T_E are family. I have lived in this current apartment/flat since September of 2010 and the only other people beside myself that have been inside these walls are my son and his mother. Come to think of it I haven't even had a date in years...
John, hold me a room and point me in the direction of MacArthur Blvd. Pfft
That's right, I said it...

Jump to Forum: