View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Did you file your tax on time.
JohnH
Since the 15th was on Sunday one could get away with filling their taxes on Monday. I had to for obscure reasons file for an extension.

I find that the amount of my taxes that pay for military involvement world wide offensive. I also find it offensive that I pay a greater percentage in taxes then many more wealthy people.

Those of us who are middle class or at least reasonably comfortable should demand that our representatives do something other than what the wealthy or big businesses demand. I will not personally hold my breath.

Theory_Execution
The percentage argument is raging over here in the UK too. You can write off tax through charitable donations which on paper seems like a good thing for charities, however, in practice the rich set up their own charities with some nebulous mission statement (Kony2012 anyone) and 'donate' to this.

The actual value in cash they pay will inevitably be higher than your average Tom (or Joe), but to the ultra weathly, 30,000 is nothing, but it is bigger than the average wage in the UK, pre-tax!

Now, we have many people arguing that they should not get a tax relief through charity, I agree, you should give to charity because you enjoy the giving, not because you can claw back tax you would otherwise be legally required to pay.

Yet contrary to this, others make the argument that due to their actual individual value contribution, the differential in percentages should not be considered.

I do support that in some way, but then I remember that minimum wages, and hence the average wage in this country, is determined by the Government, and who lobbies the Government, but the rich people who can buy the access.

So there is a double edged blade being wielded here, first they use their wealth to fix the average man/womans wage, and then worm out of the laws we as the poor and middleclass cannot afford to do.

The other great tradgedy is that many of the UKs great Brands, are now owned by corporations paying taxes to other countries.

Maybe there should be a fixed value for each person, and if there is nothing left to support our wars, all the better.

seeker
I always file early, just to get it out of the way.

Right now politicians have things upside down in the US and in Europe. I think people are starting to understand exactly how greedy certain elements of our society have gotten and just how that affects everyone.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: