Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Catman's thread. (was "Is it true?")
schmoo
I just got an email a few minutes ago that our beloved Catman was killed in a motorcycle accident. I'm not finding anything on here with an announcement of any sort but because I've been an awful friend I haven't checked in here as often as I should have. Sigh...I need to go have a good cry. Though we never met in person he was a dear friend to me and I'm so sad.

Does anyone know what's happened to his cats?

**edited thread title - Skeeve
Edited by Skeeve on 05/21/2012 17:34

Hypatia
I'm the one who sent the email to Schmoo. I'm devastated with sadness and sorrow at this news. I'd notified Skeeve and thought it best to let him decide how/when to let our members here know.

These are the links I have to the news:

http://www.w5pc.o...2-05_1.pdf

http://dunklawyer...r-trailer/

I only learned about this this morning, so I don't know about his cats. I had been thinking about the same thing myself.

I have been wrong - sometimes very, very wrong - about plenty of things here before, and all day I have been hoping that this is something that I am - once again - just very, very wrong about. I would so willingly trade being that wrong and all that goes with it in exchange for Cat being alive. I hope I am so fricking wrong that no one here will ever speak to me again. But it won't matter if Cat is alright.
Edited by Hypatia on 05/21/2012 13:23

seeker
This is sad news indeed.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

schmoo
Hypatia if you are wrong I will be the happiest girl in Ohio today.

Unfortunately, you aren't wrong-that is definitely Joe Lively.

How much can I cry in one day?

cheshiredragon
Wow, I am seriously floored. It was great to have met him on a few occasions. He will truly be missed. Cry

schmoo
I'm so sorry to have posted this, I really thought the rest of you already knew and Hypatia was just sending out emails to people that don't check in much.

He sent me an email now and then but eventually we just kinda stopped doing that and I stopped coming here very much.

He really will be missed, he was a helluva guy. Wish I'd gotten to meet him in person at least once.

cheshiredragon
You know, schmoo..Yesterday, just yesterday I was thinking that I hadn't seen him on here in a while and that wasn't like him. Even when he had shingles he braved the illness and posted. It was a quick thought that said, "I hope cat is alright."

I learned a lot from him. He played for a big band years ago called Phares Corder Orchestra. I dated Phares' daughter for about a year. When Joe found out I was working for Phares Corder(doing setup and operating the sound board) he mention that he worked with Phares a few times as a Bassist. I spoke with Phares about this and showed him this exact picture in the PDF and he said, "Hey! That's Joe! I haven't seen him in years, he is a great Bassist." I tell you though, he will be missed. I'll see if I can find a few more photos of him when we were out on one of our luncheons or at the Atheist 'church' of North Texas.

Theory_Execution
What terrible news to come home to. Im hurting for the friends and family he has left behind, and selfishly for losing him as a mate, even be it on the internet.

I speak to you people more than I do a lot of my family, love my family dont get me wrong, but I try to be as honest, and feel I can be, as possible with you - and over the years I have been in the community I can say it has been a pleasure and an honor.

schmoo
CD that would be wonderful. I believe his mother is still living in the area, I wish I knew her name, I'd love to send her a card and just tell her what a great friend to me her son was. His father passed away some years ago and I believe his brother as well.

Catman had the balance I have tried so hard to strive for-being atheist without being hateful. He could disagree without offending people (though if they deserved it he could offend the hell out of someone). I've tried really hard these last few years to attain that balance, not sure I'm there yet but he was a great example.

Not to sound too morbid but from the sounds of it, the accident happened really fast. I'm glad for that, I wouldn't wish a long, drawn out illness or injury on anyone.

Theory_Execution
Would we be able to put together some of his posts, a collage of his wise words perhaps?

cheshiredragon
True that T_E, I also speak on here more than I do my own family.

I agree, schmoo. If he was going to go that way then good thing it was fast and without suffering. That would be the way I'd want to go...quick. He definitely did have a way with disagreeing without offending and was a champion of intelligent debate. Now don't you go anywhere, seeker. You are the last one left with those killer debating skills.

BtW, don't feel sorry for posting this. I would have wanted to know. It is good closure to know rather than wondering what had happened to him.

Theory_Execution
Where is Skeeve?

General-Pryce
Shit Sad I was just told via Facebook to come and check out this thread Sad

Such sad news. I haven't been around consistantly but I remember him as one of the first people I interacted with on the old forum.

Sad

JohnH
Catman was my age and had my love for music. Clearly he could perform while I cannot. I was somewhat surprised that he did not comment on my post on Janis Joplin. I suppose this may explain it.

He presented himself here as a good and gentle person. I am sorry he is no longer alive but we must accept two things.

We will all die.

Living for 65 years means that one should have had a lot of fun during that time. Death may still have come too early but one should hope that during that time Catman enjoyed himself.

Skeeve
Sad, sad news.

After looking over the links above, there is no doubt this was our catman. Sad

I regret never contacting him over the radio, like we had discussed a few times in PM's and emails. I just haven't been doing much with ham radio since coming back to Lawton.

I'll put together a News item w/ picture shortly.

Forum Admin Notice:
Thread moved from Pleased to meet you to here

Edited by Skeeve on 05/21/2012 16:44
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Hypatia
It was 2004 at least, but possibly even 2003 or '02 when I first happened upon the Big A, and Cat, along with Seeker, Schmoo, Solid Squid, maybe CD at that point too, and many others of us, were already there then.

From the very first time I ever made a post - and that was my first time posting at such a forum - Catman always treated me with respect. No matter how wrong I might be, no matter any differences in our viewpoints, no matter how much I may have ticked him off - and I really did a couple of times (at least, I'm sure), he always treated me with thoughtful respect, and he was equally so with everyone. Even though he was never trying to teach me anything, many times over the years I've thought about how much I've learned from Cat's rather quiet, good natured, intelligent presence and online mannerisms. We were mostly acquainted through the forum though we had developed a sporadic if nothing else email rapport as well. I admired Cat for a myriad of reasons, and enjoyed his presence here immensely. I will miss him even more immensely, but I'm happy, and grateful, for all he contributed, and that I was able to get to know him a little.

Over the last several months I got swamped with 'busy' and haven't been at the site as much as usual, but I do check in regularly and see what's happening. I had been noticing that there didn't seem to be any posts from Cat, and at first wondered if maybe he was still having some lingering problems from having had the shingles, or if maybe something had happened with his elderly mom, or you know, sometimes people just take a break or a trip. I was on vacation at the end of April* and wanted to post to ask, 'hey, where's Cat?', but I don't think I posted at all during that time even though I looked in a couple of times.

I sent an email a week, maybe week and half ago or so, and didn't hear anything back. I had even invited him to my upcoming wedding in NM next month. I thought it was pretty odd that he didn't answer a personal email. I asked someone else from the site if they might know something and was told they too hadn't had a response to an email to Cat.

It kept bugging me - it sort of felt like the Internet version of seeing a few weeks worth of newspapers and mail piled up by the front door and no one answers when you knock. You know that maybe they're just away for a while, but still, it doesn't seem like them to not arrange for the mail and paper to be stopped. So this morning I Googled his name for the Dallas Fort Worth area and found the two articles I posted.

I think I may have stopped breathing for a few seconds when I saw his name in the search results. It was a shock to see that it was indeed Cat, and I thought to send a PM to Skeeve and Seeker. I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and make a thread, or wait and let Skeeve decide how he wants to approach informing our members, so I decided to wait. I did, however, want to email a few people I thought might definitely want to know.

Schmoo, it isn't a problem at all that you said something here first. You know how it is, it's usually difficult to know right off what to do or not do in these situations.

*Edited to correct month.
Edited by Hypatia on 05/22/2012 11:53

Skeeve
I think I'll send a mass PM to all members who haven't logged in today, many always respond to direct PMs, even if they don't check the site regularly.

eta: Well, I can't remove names from the send list, so everyone will receive one.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

HolyRolyPoly
How sad. I've been away for a long time but I remember him well. He was a wonderfully kind person with a great sense of humor and quick wit. What a horrible tragedy Sad

Hypatia
schmoo wrote:

CD that would be wonderful. I believe his mother is still living in the area, I wish I knew her name, I'd love to send her a card and just tell her what a great friend to me her son was. His father passed away some years ago and I believe his brother as well.

Catman had the balance I have tried so hard to strive for-being atheist without being hateful. He could disagree without offending people (though if they deserved it he could offend the hell out of someone). I've tried really hard these last few years to attain that balance, not sure I'm there yet but he was a great example.

Not to sound too morbid but from the sounds of it, the accident happened really fast. I'm glad for that, I wouldn't wish a long, drawn out illness or injury on anyone.

I believe his brother died only last year, or not too long ago, but I'm not sure. Like you, I think that his mom lives nearby as I'm pretty sure Cat looked in on her regularly, and also still enjoyed her home cooked meals at xmas, Thanksgiving, etc., with his (religious) cousin.

I really feel for his family. I too would welcome an opportunity to convey my condolences and let them know I thought a great deal about him.

Hypatia
T_E wrote:
Would we be able to put together some of his posts, a collage of his wise words perhaps?

That's a great idea T_E.

I'm in favor of keeping Cat as an honorary administrator, permanently.

Jump to Forum: