Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Catman's thread. (was "Is it true?")
cheshiredragon
"That's a great idea T_E."
I am looking through years of pictures and that is over 6,000 photos so it may take me some time to find some of him. I know we had a few lunches together in 2008 and in 2009 we went to this Atheist 'church' of North Texas a few times as well, but never did much after that as far as hang out since we did live rather far apart.

"I'm in favor of keeping Cat as an honorary administrator, permanently."
I agree.

IntractableAtheist
I first encountered Catman when the hot topic on atheists.com was whether or not to invade Iraq... Within about six months of that time Catman was someone I looked forward to hearing opinions from and for his all-around wonderful attitude about life. We certainly spent untold hours debating away in the forums with others still around this forum... Eventually Catman seemed like a kindred intellect of sorts, probably as many of you also experienced from knowing him. This is a terrible accident with the resulting loss our great friend Catman. I will miss him.

Robert
This is such terrible news! I'm extremely sad to hear about poor Catman. He was such a nice guy and a good friend. I will genuinely miss him. I too was hoping that this news would prove false and that he would make a post clearing everything up. I still can't believe that this has even happened. He was absolutely a wonderful human being and I am very glad that I had the privilege of meeting him on this site. I'll miss you Catman. Words cannot express how bad I feel. You'll always live on in our hearts!

Skeeve
There are a few pics of catman in the Photos section

http://www.atheis...lbum_id=17

From a meetup he, CD and Rayven had a few years ago.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

jayon
Sorry to hear about Cat... It's been a while. Currently in Houston, TX, because my grandmother died and while hitting up my old email account, learned of catman's death. That sucks. Kinda wish I had still been active, but lost track of the site since it moved.

I remember going posting lots of stuff when we were all driving up post counts at the time. It was fun stuff. He was too consistent with it to beat without cheating. He seemed easy to talk to in my eyes. Granted it's been a while, but he'll still be missed.

Theory_Execution
I should be in the US next year, for roughly a month. Up and down the east coast and then over to Washington state, I should look to come visiting a few of you.

neilmarr
Please forgive me for swinging by after such a long absence from the boards, but I just heard of Joe's death in a message from Timothy a couple of minutes ago. Terrible news.

Joe was one of the loveliest -- as well as liveliest -- chaps it's been my privilege to know. We've kept in regular and fun email contact, sharing mutual interest in religious skepticism, music, cats ... and motorcycles. I now understand why my last note to him in April wasn't answered.

I won't be the only one here to feel deeply the loss of his presence.

Very best wishes to all. Neil

SoftcoreAtheist
Pathetic that it takes news such as this to come in and post.

I just noticed today and am very sad to see this news. He was a very gentle and cool personality and I'm worse off for never having met him in person. I share his passion for cats and his laid back style.

Life happens and then we die. Mr. Hitchens passes, and now a fellow "heathen" I've had the pleasure in years past to personally interact with, even if only quite sporadically.

Goodbye, Mr. Lively.

Hypatia
Yes, how sad that we are exchanging 'hellos' at this time because of a tragedy and loss. I hope the exchanging of hellos will continue between many of us, under happy circumstances, in the future.

GP, HRP, IA, Neil, Jayon, SA, Robert, and of course Schmoo - it's always good to see you here. I hope you're all well.

Cynic
I just got home from work and heard the news. Catman will definitely be missed -- already was, in fact, given my general absence. Even with how infrequently I'm able to check in these days, his absence had been noticed. I regret that I did not inquire sooner.

Photon
Damn. I'll miss Joe.

Always thoughtful, genuinely kind, and helped me learn tolerance for both the religious and irreligious. He was one of the constant presences in my life that I've basically taken for granted. Very sad news.

willie
Very, very sad news, it's always a tragedy when someone goes before their time.

I know I've not been around for some time, but I suspect this place was like family to Catman. Internet friendships are a strange thing; I don't know how well you can really know someone through typed words across the ether, but this feels like a genuine loss. I can only imagine how those of you with stronger bonds are feeling, you have my deepest sympathy.

Take care one and all.

Theory_Execution
In someways, due to the separation the internet provides, you can be as open and honest as you wish to be - if you take issue with someone on here, or a conversation, you just power down.

I try to be as honest as possible in every day life, but quite frankly, people are unable to deal with honesty - and to avoid being 'the arsehole' you have to conceal your true thoughts.

So yes, I ahve enjoyed what I believe was total honesty from Catman's posts - and based upon that social interaction it is a loss I feel. Never did meet, haven't met anyone yet - the 'Travelling cabinet maker' idea never came through.

Doubting Thomas
I'm deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Catman. I know I've been away for a while, but I still regard everyone here as friends.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Max
Like the rest of you, I really don't know what to say about this, it's really just too shocking. Catman was always on here, he seemed like a sort of constant. I had known Catman since he first started appearing on the site. What really impressed me about him was how actively he engaged with the rest of the community. I think many of us here (I am seeing a lot of names I haven't seen in a while, myself included) got burnt out and have taken extended breaks from this site, but he never did. To this day I think he had more posts than any other person in this site's history by a mile. It always impressed me how he just kept going, it seemed like he had boundless energy. I remember he used to comment about how he loved riding his motorcycle, I believe he said it was a Honda. I am at the very least happy that his last moments were spent doing something that he loved.

I never met you in person Catman, but I still felt like I knew you and considered you a friend. It was an honor to have been able to talk with you so many times.

JDHURF
Maybe not the best decision to post as my eyes well up with tears and my emotions get the better of me, but I cannot not post. I never knew Catman IRL and I am sorry for it. I began posting on the original atheists.com site while I was still a teenager and I found in Catman a very gentle, guiding light. He was nothing short of brilliant yet never arrogant and, even in disagreement, always steadfast yet as civil as could be. I know that I knew him, never mind that we never met. He was a kindred spirit (in the atheist sense) and he was for sure one of the most prominent reasons I remained loyal to the atheists.com group; one of my all-time favorite people online.

Having come to the site almost at random just to check in on everyone this really hits me in the chest hard. Catman was such an intelligent, gentle and loving man. I hope that his cats find as loving a home as they have already known.

My two cats and I will be holding a candle light vigil for him tonight.
[img]http://www.atheists.org/images/headerLogo.png[/img] is not a valid Image.

JohnH
A dedication to catman. I do not know that I share his taste in music but this should cover most.

http://www.youtub...rCd5uGaM8s

http://www.youtub...RlOI3N7Hao

http://www.youtub...cKhscio25M
Edited by JohnH on 06/11/2012 05:33

Theory_Execution
James Brown, like some of the music, do not like the man.

seeker
He was a product of his times, TE. James Brown grew up very poor and spent his early years hustling for money in the streets during the height of the segregation era here in the US.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
I dont think that excuses him from beating his wife, that is the only thing I am making the judgement on.

Jump to Forum: