View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2012 (US)
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Romney invokes church as reason for not releasing taxes
Skeeve
He deserves creativity points if nothing else.

From Salon.com:
After months stonewalling on releasing more tax returns, Mitt Romney invoked a brand-new explanation for demurring in an interview with Parade magazine set to hit newsstands this weekend: religion. “Our church doesn’t publish how much people have given [to the LDS Church]. This is done entirely privately. One of the downsides of releasing one’s financial information is that this is now all public, but we had never intended our contributions to be known. It’s a very personal thing between ourselves and our commitment to our God and to our church,” Romney told the magazine when asked about his returns, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

I liked this bit of commentary from John Aravosis on Chris from Paris's article at AMERICAblog:

Note from John: Well that's interesting. What else won't his religion permit a President Romney to do? It's one thing to invoke your religion in private life, but to suggest that America should change the way it elects presidents because the Mormons don't like it, is quite another. Mitt Romney, in a very real way, is forcing the rest of America to live by Mormon standards - he's telling us that we are no longer permitted to have a full vetting of our presidential candidates because the Mormons don't like it.

As a gay man, I'm accustomed to the Mormon leadership trying to jam its religion down my throat and force me to live my life according to their rules. So perhaps it's not a surprise that now America at large is expected to permit the Mormons to change the rules of our electoral process in order to suit their needs.

This just keeps getting weirder.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Theory_Execution
Not weirder, it is to be expected. If people knew how much all of these religions were pulling in and look at the 'good works' done, they would notice a huge underspend on making things better for all.

Jump to Forum: