Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » T.V. Shows
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best of X Factor UK auditions 2012
Skeeve
As y'all know, I love watching the auditions to the X Factor and Got Talent shows. Here are my favorites, so far, from this years X Factor UK

Kye Sones (Smooth voice)

Ella Henderson (Awesome, and only 16!)

Jahmene Douglas (Incredible!)

James Arthur (Singing his acoustic version of Tulisa's song Young )

Lucy Spraggan (Funny song, but, IMO, the delivery is too rushed. Still worth a listen.)

These are all great auditions, and it really bugs me that I have to wait for Youtube clips to see how they do during the show.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
The middle three are absolutely awesome.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
Hate to break it to you Skeeve, but the producers of this show are heartless bastards and shouldn't be encouraged.

It came out recently with one of the latest participants. She was a Pink tribute artist, and wanted to move away from it and become her own singer - so through the weeks of pre-auditions and coaching, they urged her to sing a Pink song, against her better judgement she did, and it was awful and the hosts gave her shit for it.

She went made and started swearing and throwing things about, she couldn't sing, but they only played her like that to up the ratings.

Skeeve
Yeah, I saw that video.

I'll repeat an earlier comment. I don't watch these shows, especially during the early auditions, where most people are embarrassed just to boost the viewership of drooling idiots. This is for the same reason I don't watch "funniest videos" shows...it's usually at the expense of someone else and laughing at people isn't something I find pleasure in.

But I do love to see unknown faces show up and actually have incredible talent. I pick through the posted auditions and pick out my favorites. I don't care about the show, its production or any of its celebrities. I watch these clips for the unknown talent.

If they only showed the winning auditions, I would feel more like watching them on TV.

I am also aware that some of these winning auditions are from people who were asked to audition, that have been seen around pubs and other events performing. Not all are actual "off the street" performers. They're still good. And I'll still watch them. Smile

Theory_Execution
Not a bad approach, and I agree with you, I like to see raw talent.

The sad thing is that these shows tend to squeeze the talent out of people - I imagine the newly exposed buds of a flower, being exposed to a sun without a protective magnetic field and atmosphere.

Do you recall that Janet Devlin girl? She had great talent, but they made he sing all shades of shite music (some good, just not for her) and then kick her to the curb after it all.

It may be the case that companies have approached her with record deals, but being designated the loser of a music show cannot do well for your future record sales.

It would be nice if other record companies went straight in to head hunt the people who audition, so that they can be saved from the churning machines of the manufactured pop industry.

Skeeve
Yeah, Janet Devlin has a very unique voice and singing style and they did royally fuck her over with the crap song choices.

The music industry is what it is, though.

Theory_Execution
There was another girl, on one of the other shows, The Voice, who sounded a lot like Kate Bush - that was good.

Theory_Execution
Twas Bo Bruce I was thinking of.

Theory_Execution
There was an article in the paper today which said the tune above, written and played by Lucy Spraggan, was up for sale on iTunes, but the organizers of X Factor asked her to take it down (I would read 'pressured' for asked there) because the sales were rivalling last years X Factor winners sales.

That is why Rage Against the Machine made it to Xmas number.

Skeeve
I would see that as a plus for the show, hype the high sales and generate interest for more viewers.

Statistically, I would think that there would be higher sales as years progress. Shrug

Theory_Execution
People get bored of them, it is what has happened to every contestant on the show, they may get a number one but then they drift away with the tide of the next years show.

The only people profiting continually are the owners of the show.

Skeeve
A couple more worth posting have popped up:

Amy Mottram (Another incredible 16yo)

Christopher Maloney (good voice; one of the sappy/emotional storylines)

There are a few others, including a couple of boy band types, but I didn't like them as much as these two and those posted in the OP.

Theory_Execution
Ahhhh its so fucking scripted, that's why I stopped watching TV, nothing is spontaneous on TV anymore.

Amy Mottram was OK, im not giving Christopher the chance, because I am also sick of TV sob stories.

For all her miss-placed ideas, I have to agree with Ayn Rand about literature and film being about escapism - as far away from the usual miseries of life as possible.

Skeeve
If I could be bothered, I'd edit them for just the singing. /shrug

Theory_Execution
And you would be hounded by their lawyers, probably have your YouTube account closed down.

allenmarton
hey all
nice posts,i like this forum very much
allen

Jump to Forum: