View Thread

Atheists Today » Religion » Judaism
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Questions about Judaism
Snowball Solar System
My immediate reason for joining is to satisfy an abiding curiosity about Judaism, here in a forum assumedly less biased by religious prejudice.

I'm simply amazed at how Bronze Age Judaism continues to survive in the teeth of (Classical Greek inspired) Iron Age Christianity, (not to mention how Christianity survives in the teeth of science and logic). Anyway, here're a number of questions I could only imagine asking an oblivious Rabbi Glickman, due to their unintentionally prejudicial tone.

1) What explanation does Judaism have for eliminating animal sacrifices to Jehovah?
2) How do they explain the long silence of their God by the conspicuous absence of prophets?
3) Are they still looking for a Messiah, and if so, are they expecting a nationalist leader?
4) Why don't they rebuild the temple in Jerusalem?
5) How do they justify abandonment of aspects of Talmudic law, such as of stoning as a method of capital punishment?
6) How do individuals fit within their claim to be God's Chosen People, for instance, are nonpracticing secular Jews (agnostics) by birth and Jews by conversion considered Chosen People, or is the blessing merely considered collectively?
7) With the sweep of Christianity and the religious coup d'état of eternal life, how can Judaism continue to compete? "Travis says his grandfather went to heaven when he died, Mummy, so where did Grandmother Goldstein go when she died?"

Thanks,
Snow

Orthodoxy means not thinking.

Forum Admin Notice:
Moved from Introductions

Skeeve
Welcome, Snow. I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post to a more appropriate forum for the topic.

Interesting questions, but I'm posting at work at the moment, so I'll have to take another look later today.

Cheers
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
FWIW I don't think there is any reason to assume that Judaism has bronze age roots. The bible makes that claim but archaeology pretty much debunks it.

When you think about it Judaism and Christianity both have this paradigm of waiting for saviors that never come.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Snowball Solar System
King Solomon's Mines Rediscovered?
Rebecca Carroll
for National Geographic News
October 28, 2008
http://news.natio...sions.html

Copper mines in southern Jordan were active centuries earlier than previously believed, according to a new study that suggests the area was producing the metal at the same time the biblical figure of King Solomon is said to have built Jerusalem's first Jewish temple.

"We're conclusively showing that the Iron Age chronology [of this region] has to be pushed back another 300 years," said lead author Thomas Levy, an anthropologist at the University of California, San Diego.

True, seeker, apparently the iron age proceeded even King Solomon and perhaps I should have made Classical Greece the dividing line between Judaism and Christianity rather than relying on Bill Maher's Bronze Age Myths comedy sketch. Gee, no wonder I get such hostile stares when I say shazam to marines.
Edited by Snowball Solar System on 09/29/2012 14:47
"Orthodoxy means not thinking."—Eric Blair

JohnH
Others are better students of the bible than I am, but I have spent some time trying to understand how the requirements of Leviticus can be dismissed by christians and to my mind their arguments are weak. None that I have found are based on old testament verses. I would suggest that there are no old testament (Torah) explanations for the end to blood sacrifice.

Snowball Solar System
JohnH, Christians might refer to Acts 10:9-16 regarding Talmudic law, but New Testament rationalizations certainly don't let Jews off the hook.

Acts 10:9-16
9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:

10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,

11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

Edited by Snowball Solar System on 09/29/2012 19:16
"Orthodoxy means not thinking."—Eric Blair

JohnH
As I said above I find the christian denials of parts of Leviticus weak. The above quoted verses being one of the reasons. Leviticus is very specific about what birds, what hoofed animals what seafood are forbidden. These passages suggest everything should be consumed. I personally draw the line at poisonous plants, rose thorns, most grasses and other things, Christians to adher to these passages cannot.

Yes it can be suggested that only that which god made clean is allowed, but in comparison to Leviticus that is so vague as to be incomprehensible.

seeker
True, seeker, apparently the iron age proceeded even King Solomon and perhaps I should have made Classical Greece the dividing line between Judaism and Christianity rather than relying on Bill Maher's Bronze Age Myths comedy sketch. Gee, no wonder I get such hostile stares when I say shazam to marines.

Actually I tend to think that the entire OT (Torah) is a Hasmonean era document. My suggestion is that there is no Judaism as we would recognize it until around 200BCE. There is no evidence in the archaeological record for a kingdom of Israel as described in the bible. The Torah really reflects Judah as it was during the Hasmonean era more than any other era. All of the chronological anachronisms contained in the OT disappear of we consider the OT as a fiction created during or just slightly preceding the Hasmoneans.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: