View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Commemorate What??????
JohnH
Reading my online left wing news letter I came across an article that indicates the US is getting ready to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War.

Holy fucking shit. Commemorate the killing of millions for no good purpose. Commemorate the defoliation and long term pollution of thousands of acres. Commemorate the unnecessary destruction of the mental health of tens of thousands of americans. Commemorate what????

I remain somewhat ashamed these many years later that I found a way to avoid service in Vietnam. I did not want to put myself at risk for the whims of an overly aggressive and paranoid government. But, I was shamed by the fact that I could probably save both american and Vietnamese lives if I served. It was probably the most difficult moral decision I have made in my entire life. Knowing I would be a good soldier and knowing that this particular war was so morally wrong it was criminal, can conflict one.

We as a nation continue to participate in unnecessary and immoral war. To "commemorate" what may be the most immoral one of all speaks volumes about how immoral and hateful the american public/politic can be.

seeker
Not sure that Vietnam is the 'most immoral'. That is sort of like saying one corpse is 'more dead' than another. I vote for Iraq II as most immoral.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Skeeve
All war not in defense of your home soil is immoral.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

JohnH
I have to agree with you both. Iraq 2 is/was probably more immoral. And all war not directly related to tangible threat is also immoral. As a nation we have since World War II developed a culture of war.

More people should read "War is a Racket" by Smedley B. Butler (a two time medal of honor recipient). It contains a most disturbing picture of a man whose face was blown off. I several times saw a man with a similar wound in the supermarket, very, very disturbing. He looked about the correct age to have received this wound in Vietnam, but I cannot say for sure because I did not want to stare, for obvious reasons.

Jump to Forum: