View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Wealth and Taxes
JohnH
I cannot find it now but recently I saw a letter to the editor in one of local papers pointing out the the top 5% of wage earners pay something like 70% of the income tax (please ignore the accuracy of the numbers, I am somewhat guessing).

Whenever I see this kind of statistical lying my whole person gets angry. That supposed news purveyors allow this kind of misinformation onto their pages shows how in thrall of the monied news media are in this country. Is it misinformation in the sense of out right lies, no. Is it misinformation when presented out of context, yes.

The truth is that the wealthiest classes in the country control wealth and have income far out of relationship to the taxes they might pay. To present tax data out of this context is at a minimum incomplete and should better be described as lying.

Yet is a routine event in the media trying somehow to defend that which is indefensible. The huge disparity between a small class of people and the masses in the US.

seeker
There is a lot of that kind of thing going around. While technically true everyone seems to ignore the obvious. Republicans have irresponsibly been cutting taxes for 40+ years and then pretending we can't afford a social safety net because they cannot win a debate over whether we should get rid of the New Deal.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Jump to Forum: