View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » U.S. Politics
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Snowden
jayon
http://www.bbc.co...a-23012317

What are your thoughts?

I personally am not surprised, but since the government isn't telling us any information and the checks and balances seem to be wavering, how else are we supposed to know what they are doing behind our backs? Oh, hello NSA btw.

seeker
I think this kind of thing has been going on for decades.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Theory_Execution
"heft of government property" - haha, they print your personal details, which they have obtained through ill-means, without your consent, put it on their government letterhead and then say it is their property.

The best comment I have heard yet about all of this is to stick a copy right logo after every comment you ever make on the internet - and take the government to civil caught over invading your copy right.

I imagine he will either be killed, so detained for a long time.

Governments used to have to put a lot of effort into intelligence gathering - now people place all of their private information online, so can you blame them for screwing you over and taking it without your consent?

Well, yes, yes you can - but until countries hold their governments to account, this stuff will never change.

I have said it many times before, we teach our children in schools to be honest, truthful and never to fight - and then they turn on the TV and watch our elected representatives mislead, deliberately lie and lead us into wars in which thousands of innocent people die - and then these same adults turn around and wonder why there is such a thing as disaffected youth.

jayon
I'm so far liking the other countries not bowing down to US law, because they shouldn't. I hope he makes it to Ecuador and they keep him in one piecea there, but we'll see I guess. That's awfully close to the US. I'm guessing he'll end up dead by some odd, stray bullet freak accident thing if he doesn't get drug out and returned to the US by someone.

seeker
Supposedly he still knows a lot more that he hasn't told. I suspect he will quietly disappear.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

jayon
You may be right. He's asked for asylum in russia, but they require that he not hurt their allies, so he would not be able to release more if he took it. So that would play in favor of the US gov.

seeker
Hmmmm, let's see. Take in a guy accused of leaking the state secrets of the country with the most powerful military in the world and a country whose government is so flaky that even they have no clue what they might do and risk potential conflict or stay out. This isn't like the Cold War when a guy like Snowden would have been welcomed because the country taking him in could count on Soviet support, the country taking Snowden in is going to be on their own.

jayon
The story gets even more idiotic as they reroute a plane by refusing airspace due to the possibility of him on the plane. That shows how much pressure the US is putting on other countries. You are correct, countries that take him in will probably get cut off from the US. That why I wish all of them would accept his asylum as a fuck you to our gov. It won't happen though, because too many rely on us. If the US pushes enough for one person, it will be interesting to see how some countries respond.

Some on reddit said that the gov is pushing this story to take attention from the fact that they are spying on everybody, so its good to see some countires more focused on that and telling the US to stop. This one guy helped everyone know what's behind the curtain so they know what our gov is doing, I hope some of those govs and our own people realize a service he's done and can only hope there are more people like him.

Jump to Forum: