Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Podcasts
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Podcast Test
Skeeve
Another test podcast while I tweak microphone settings.

http://www.blogta...dcast-test

Things I've noticed while listening:

Background noise; vehicles on the street driving by.

Movement noise from touching the mic and stuff on my table.

Audio is dropping occasionally; not sure if that's the mic, something on my PC in the background or Skype.

I'm listenting to it again as I type this and those audio drops are bugging me. I also notice they do not happen during the music. Will take a closer look at mic.

I didn't hear the drops after the first music break either. Maybe not the mic, but something in the computer background. Shrug

I rambled at the beginning while looking at different panels of the broadcast studio.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
Sounded decent. Short of a proper sound proof studio you are going to get some ambient noise but there was nothing too distracting. I did notice the noise from you moving things around. I didn't notice the drops you were mentioning, they might just be on your end.

I don't think you should script it out too much but have some notes and that will help keep you from rambling.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Skeeve
Yeah, I noticed some drops at the beginning of another podcast I listened to, so i think it is something here.

And yes, I will have a block of topics prepared and researched somewhat before I go live. I'll give it a go and see.

jayon
I personally think rambling is fine. Don't apologize for it. Well, it's your prerogative, but apologizing for little things that are going to happen especially when you're starting out is worse than saying "um" all the time.

The intro is way to long IMO. I would cut it to about 20 seconds, but still give credit to the song. Hell, after 20 seconds talk over it while giving credit and then cut it to the podcast.

For songs not in the intro, I like when you gave the time it would play, so if we'd rather hear you talk we can skip. I listened to everything, but I hardly ever listen to music in a podcast and I'm sure there are some that would want to skip it.

When you were clicking, get into the habit of describing the scene and try not to pause so much. Just jump right into "I'm browsing google right now for stuff.. The top link is about a movie, andthe second link says I can lose all my stuff in a fire." or something. If I hear you doing something, I want to know what it is.. Make up something. I like to hear people talk and give stories in podcasts if they are between discussions.

The sound seems fine to me. I wasn't really distracted with background, but if it is loud, explain it. "My neighbors are being loud and the walls are thin here." It sets a scene for the listener and sometimes you can use it to transition toward a topic if you have one in mind.

The "um"s will lessen as you do more and become more confident, but dont be totally afraid of them either. If there is a long pause, that's worse IMO.

Well, I'll shut up now. I listen to a lot of podcasts, but don't really do them. I would suck if I did. I think it was fine for not really having a topic or direction, and can't wait to see what you do with a topic. Oh, make enough notes to fill a podcast even if you are taking callers, because you never know if you'll get enough material from callers.

oh, I like ending on a song. Maybe make it a little more obvious that the song is finishing the podcast.. I can't quite remember what you said, but I remember not knowing if it would end with the song or if you were going to come back. Might be because I forgot what you said. Either way, I kind of like ending on a song.

Skeeve
Thanks for the feedback, jayon! And yes, I've decided to play out at the 2min warning at the end of the podcast. It's set for half volume so I can talk over it and end the show.

Jump to Forum: