View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Official Position of USMC on Lack of Spiritual Faith
Hypatia
The US military is making it obvious they intend to continue pushing the boundaries, regardless.

"Lack or loss of spiritual faith" is included as a "Guidance/moral compass issue" in both of these documents under a list of risk indicators for use by "leaders at all levels" to "identify and address risky behavior or events that may lead to risky behavior, as soon as possible." This apparent character flaw is juxtaposed with such things as "lack of courage," "history of psychiatric hospitalizations," "past or current substance abuse history," and being "anti-social." In the simplest terms, it is the current official position of the United States Marine Corps that those who do not profess a religious belief or choose to leave their religion are to be considered a potential hazard to themselves and the Corps and be placed under greater scrutiny than their peers.

http://www.huffin...47235.html

Theory_Execution
Are the Freedom From Religion Foundation acting on this?

I think I heard Atheist Experience show discuss this a while back.

seeker
The military is notorious for pushing Christianity on military personnel, even to the point of forcing them to either go to services on Sundays or be restricted to the barracks while services are conducted.

The military loves religion because it reenforces the notions of military hierarchy and blind obedience.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Hypatia
Theory_Execution wrote:

Are the Freedom From Religion Foundation acting on this?

I think I heard Atheist Experience show discuss this a while back.

No, not FFRF, but I think it is the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF), and possibly also the Military Atheists Association of Atheists and Freethinkers (MAAF), who worked in conjunction with MRFF on the same issue with the US Army.

I'm fed up to HERE and more with people labeling those who are non-theist as unstable people who have no meaning or direction to their lives. And for the military to take it upon themselves to further add to that the idea that non-theists could lack courage and would give them just cause to consider past drug use or a history of psychiatric hospitalization in a way other than they normally would. That it can cause them to consider non-theists (non-conformists to them) as 'anti-social' people is all a very big deal, that can have tremendous impact on people's lives - including their military records.

Theory_Execution
The military is an odd institute in our two nations, in the US you have great funding and mandatory registration of veterans, in the UK the funding is good, but people aren't treated to well after they leave.

Either way they worry me. I have nothing against violence, and I think there is a use for it, but much of what the US does (and the UK tagging along) is ill advised and dangerous for us as nations.

So culling the numbers of 'rational' people in the military is very worrying - but understandable from a mindless drone view point.

Hypatia
Theory_Execution wrote:

The military is an odd institute in our two nations, in the US you have great funding and mandatory registration of veterans, in the UK the funding is good, but people aren't treated to well after they leave.

Either way they worry me. I have nothing against violence, and I think there is a use for it, but much of what the US does (and the UK tagging along) is ill advised and dangerous for us as nations.

So culling the numbers of 'rational' people in the military is very worrying - but understandable from a mindless drone view point.

Our governmental 'handlers' are, IMO and at least in the case of the US, more interested in doing actions (or not doing actions) to continue to drive wedges between races, to keep people hungry and poor and needing jobs with little or no access to social programs, to deceive and keep us in the dark to the greatest extent possible, and any other action they can to cause derision and divisiveness among the citizens, 'cause it makes everything so much easier for them. But they do it in a way that's slow and methodical and chips away at our rights, and so many don't even realize how dim the light has become in the room. So this stuff is just another way of chipping away in order to try to control.

JohnH
Hypatia, well said. You have, I assume, read many of my previous posts here. Our (in the US) disdain for those who have not the advantages many have can be most troubling.

Our (again the US) acceptance of a ruling elite is also most troubling. We promote ourselves as a beacon of democracy, but we are in fact an autocracy of the few.

Jump to Forum: