View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Spore contains a rootkit
RayvenAlandria
I am so depressed. I just found out the new game Spore is using SecuRom. It is a rootkit. (malware, trojan-like)

I was really looking forward to this game and pre-ordered it. It's on the way as we speak. I found out today that they are using a modified version of SecuRom, which is basically a commercial rootkit/trojan. I have had older versions of SecuRom fry my computers, so I am very angry about this.

You can only install Spore three times, which means if you have a windows reinstallation, a hardware change, etc...you get three shots and that's it. This is disgusting and in my opinion, unethical business practices. Basically, we're paying to *rent* the game. When the company decides it's too expensive to keep the validation servers running, you will never again be able to validate your game, so we won't be able to play the game years from now like we usually do with games. You know how it is, sometimes you get nostalgic and whip out an old game to play again after years of not playing it. If they shut off the Spore validation servers you won't be able to do that though.

If I had known it had SecuRom bundled with it I would not have bought it. Sadly, we bought and installed the Creature Creator long ago, so I'm sure Securom is now on all our computers. I'm pissed as hell about that. I'm also pissed as hell because my son has been looking forward to this game for over a year. We may end up installing and playing it anyway, but I am so angry I will never buy another EA game.

I have also found out that many other new games will have things like SecuRom bundled with them. Blizzard is taking that route as well. I don't understand how the industry is getting away with this behavior. It should be illegal. Not only is it an invasion of privacy, but these programs are notorious for being crap and frying people's drives and operating systems.

I often tell people that it is not the government we need to fear, it's corporations. They are the ones violating our rights and eventually they will control every aspect of our lives. We will eventually be little more than drones in service to some huge company that runs the world and controls our every moment.

Theory_Execution
OK ok, before we start, the government is a corporation, an international multi-trillion pound corporation whos stock is the people. But thats for another time.

I have been looking forward to this game myself, a brilliant way to demonstrate evolution. I will not be buying the game now - I will just cycle though my old games.

This isnt the first time EA have annoyed its market base, they done the same thing with Battlefield 2142 in which they rented out in-game billboard space to companies wishing to advertise, while keeping the price of the game exactly the same.

The latest game I have bought is from a smaller company, but I am not at all happy with it. Its S.T.A.L.K.E.R Clear Sky, the prequel to SHadows of Chernobyl - a great game yet bugged incredibly.

This new game is worse for bugs and CTD, they even released a patch before the game release in europe. But what can I do about it, I dont have my receipt and im left with an unfinished product.

We will have to talk more about games.

RayvenAlandria
During my research yesterday I found people raving about this game and company.

http://www.sinsof...eplay.aspx

They say that this company does not treat it's customers like criminals and that the game is actually an excellent game. I'd never heard of it before. I'm going to read up on it some more.

Theory_Execution
I have heard about it and a friend of mine used to play it, its a lot like EVE online, an mmorg. That one is run by CCP who can be good and can be bad, their changes to the game arnt appreciated much (you set up ships and then a couple of months later they change an item so its not as effective) but the response to problems is pretty quick.

I went through phases in my gaming, was all about the rpg (baldurs gate, icewind dale) then moved onto realtime strategy (c&c, age of empires) onto city/empire sims (caesar, civ) then to fps (battlefield) and now im in fps/rpg which the original stalker game was a great example of.

So I am really hurting that this game is so bugged and messed up.

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
I am so depressed. I just found out the new game Spore is using SecuRom. It is a rootkit. (malware, trojan-like)

SeduRom is easy to break.....I've done it any number of times.

And no, I do not steal computer games-- I just don't like keeping up with a bunch of physical CD-ROMs, so I rip the image onto a large hard disk.

And I use software to mimic the "security" features they contain.

So far, I've not found a single game that I was not able to do this with.

My favorite toolkit is Daemon Tools. (google, it's out of Germany).

And I think you may be mistaken about SecurRom-- it is one of the more benign "security" softwares, as far as I have been able to tell. I've had a few that I had to manually scrub with "rootkit revealer" tools and such--but none that were SecurRom.

Then again, the last game I bought was about a year old, so...
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
Bob of QF, what is your background? I notice the physics and now the computing.

I wish I was more interested in hacking ripping etc, as they are great ways to learn languages, but I have no idea where to start.

RayvenAlandria
I use Daemon Tools sometimes, or PowerISO.

I have no doubt that SecuRom fried some of my cd drives a couple years ago. IMO, it is a horrid program and should be illegal. I also think it's just the beginning and if consumers don't demand the practice to stop now, it will get worse.

I used to play Bulder's Gate and Icewind Dale too. I love those games. Might have to pop them out again if I can ever find enough free time.

Bob of QF
Theory_Execution wrote:
Bob of QF, what is your background? I notice the physics and now the computing.

I wish I was more interested in hacking ripping etc, as they are great ways to learn languages, but I have no idea where to start.

I was a computer programmer for 17 years, actually.

As for physics, one of my best friends is a physics major, and I'm one of those perpetually curious sorts...

If you really want to learn computing, I strongly suggest taking a class at your local community college. It will help you identify the disciplines you'll need later on.

Sloppy programming techniques work fine on simple programs, but will hose you for anything remotely complex.

I used one version of BASIC or other, for most of my programming career.

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
I use Daemon Tools sometimes, or PowerISO.

I have no doubt that SecuRom fried some of my cd drives a couple years ago. IMO, it is a horrid program and should be illegal. I also think it's just the beginning and if consumers don't demand the practice to stop now, it will get worse.

I used to play Bulder's Gate and Icewind Dale too. I love those games. Might have to pop them out again if I can ever find enough free time.

You may be right-- since I always used a Deamon Tools ISO copy off the hard drive (and a virtual CD "drive"Wink I did not let SecuRom utilize my real CD drives.

Spore is intriguing, but hardly a teaching tool of evolution-- it's more akin to ID.... :rolleyes: I may not bother with it, myself. Kinda reminds me of Black & White, which I thought I would've liked-- except the interface was so sucky, I gave up on it--never did play it much beyond setup.

RayvenAlandria
I liked Black and White for a bit, but it had game-killing bugs. I bought B&W 2 but haven't had time to play it. My son has though and said it was more boring than the first one. He did like part 1 a lot.

I agree, Spore will not be anything like actual evolution. It does seem more like ID but maybe if we're lucky it will at least spark an interest in science for a few people.

Then again, maybe not. I think the game was over hyped and it may not be as fun as people thought it was going to be.

Theory_Execution
To be honest I havnt done much research into the game, I saw one video (prerelease) talking about the way in which you act as the environmental constraints, only interacting to chose a prefered 'next step' - more like breeding for characteristics as pidgeon fanciers do.

It all happens by evolution, of course, things do change. However you spurred me on to check out a free download, and sadly it was the creature creator. I suppose fundy money is as good as any other.

I recently finished my BSc in Physics, dont get much opportunity to talk about it anymore. I am considering spending this next year working and then taking masters course, possibly in photonics.

Jump to Forum: