View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
CA Church Leaders Accused of Labor Trafficking
Hypatia
The leaders of Imperial Valley Ministries in California is under FBI investigation for labor trafficking.

A dozen leaders of a California-based ministry have been indicted by a federal grand jury on charges that they lured homeless people into forced labor with the false promise that they would be provided meals and shelter, prosecutors said this week.

Instead, the authorities said, they were imprisoned in group homes and coerced to forgo welfare benefits and panhandle up to nine hours a day, six days a week “for the financial benefit of the church leaders.

Robert Brewer, the United States attorney for the Southern District of California, called it “the most significant labor trafficking prosecution in this district in many years.”

It's horrible and distressing when anyone participates in any form of human trafficking, but when it's done in the name of and under the guise of religion it's particularly disgusting and disturbing.

https://www.nytim...dling.html

seeker
And then they pretend its we atheists who aren't moral.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Skeeve
Sounds like they're trying to horn in on Scientology's scam.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
Skeeve wrote:

Sounds like they're trying to horn in on Scientology's scam.

I didn't know this was a Scientology tactic. I am not surprised if it is though, they seem to do a lot of similar things.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Skeeve
Luckily, it's catching up to them, as evident in these links.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Jump to Forum: