View Thread

Atheists Today » Religion » Judaism
 Print Thread
How Old Are Abrahamic Cults?
neilmarr
Think I picked it up from a link over at JNE. I'm off to bed right now, Seeker, after feeding half the neighbourhood fish and chips ... and then doing the washing up. Sabbath should be a day of rest, no? I'll poke around tomorrow and see what I can find. Hoots. Neil

seeker
Did you ever find that article Neil?

neilmarr
Ever so sorry, Seeker, I didn't. I've just Googled myself silly again and still can't track it down. I'll certainly keep my eyes open for you because it's interesting and, as I remember, it wasn't so much a matter of casual guesswork as a 'scholarly' estimation. Can't even recall if I read this on the net or in a book. I did read it, though, because it would never have occurred to me otherwise, and it wouldn't have registered had it been merely an expression of opinion.

Of course, the average IQ of a tribe of morons would still be pretty low even if there were an Einstein or two among them, so I guess we shouldn't make too much of it.

On the other hand, in terms of 'world view', I think we could safely assume that the ancients were massively disadvantaged purely by virtue of their limited knowledge of anything outside their own walking distance and the lack of libraries, general communication, etc.

It's an interesting thought that a single bright spark could well capture entirely the mind and soul of a goat-herder or small town fisherman simply because it was the only spark he had ever experienced and that could fill an intellectual void.

If you're suggesting that intellectual potential is limited more by the bounds of available experience and learning than by what has become known as IQ, I'd certanly agree.

I'm quite sure that the 'capacity' of someone in 'Biblical' times was no lower than that of our modern neighbours. He was hampered only by lack of information rather than the power to grasp it should it be offered ... which is shown by the sheer imagination (read frustrated intelligence) involved in the structure of his complex religions and an apparent general willingness to latch onto such unwordly ideas in the lack of anything better to hand.

Cheers. Neil

seeker
I agree with pretty much all of that Neil. In a sense the far more cosmopolitan view of a modern 8 year old could be seen as a more advanced world view but I think some aspects of living, relationships etc must be experienced.

neilmarr
Right enough, Seeker. For instance, a fisherman on a primitive boat on the Med 3,000 years ago would no doubt have been able to navigate quite successfully at night with a glance at the stars ... but he wouldn't be anywhere close to a modern eight-year-old in describing what the stars actually are. Makes you wonder how many Mozarts have been lost to history through a lack of Stone Age pianos or Hawkings because speech machines didn't exist in the 18th Century. Happy weekend, mate. Neil

seeker
Unfortunately the Stone Age Mozarts were too busy trying to figure out the proper prayers to trees in order to get them to deliver fruit.

neilmarr
Unfortunately, Seeker, even the Mozart we all know was forced into similar brown-nosing, playing to the sacred trees for the fruit of the purse.

Ever wonder what shape music and art might have taken had there been financial backers other than a religious establishment?

Neil

catman
Right. Mozart might have been an earlier Coltrane. Oh, wait, the saxophone hadn't been invented yet.
Edited by catman on 11/02/2008 15:54
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Miles Davis expressed some exasperation over some of Coltrane's extended solos during their concerts. Coltrane tried to explain to Miles that he just didn't know how to end it. Miles reply was, "Try taking your lips away from the mouthpiece."
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

seeker
More of a Keith Jarrett or Lyle Mays perhaps, Cat?
Edited by seeker on 11/02/2008 11:27

catman
Yes, something like that. Keith Jarrett is great! I got tired of Lyle Mays, despite his musical ability, when he more or less took over the Lab Bands at UNT for a time. No one has equaled Art Tatum, though. Oops, wrong forum. Back to Abrahamic Cults, if there is anything more to be said about their age.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
Hymns would be much more fun if they weren't religious. See what you can add to this wee list:

*A-bed With Me

*Rock and Roll of Ages

*Onward Egg-dip Soldiers

*While Shepherds Shagged their Flocks By Night

Neil

Jump to Forum: