View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
McCain calls audience prisoners
Skeeve
During a campaign stop, McCain referred to the audience as "my fellow prisoners".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/JYFm5kK4f1k&hl=en&fs=1[/youtube]

Is he losing it?
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

neilmarr
Did he intend to use that word in some ironic way, Skeeve? If not, what did he really mean? Neil

Skeeve
Too bad Freud isn't around.

neilmarr
Palin and the girl on McCain's left, and the audience, failed to react, I notice. Can't help wondering if the word 'pisoners' may actually have been in context if you were to listen to more than this fifteen-second clip. If not, my mind for one is suitably boggled. Neil

RayvenAlandria
We have to remember that he is a former POW, the phrase "my fellow prisoners"
was probably something he said often throughout his life. It looks to me like this slip was just a habit of speech kind of slip. I do find it amusing that Palin didn't catch it though; that just tells me that she's standing there daydreaming and not paying the least bit of attention to what's being said. I have the feeling that's what she's done for most of her life.

Skeeve
neilmarr wrote:
Palin and the girl on McCain's left, and the audience, failed to react, I notice. Can't help wondering if the word 'pisoners' may actually have been in context if you were to listen to more than this fifteen-second clip. If not, my mind for one is suitably boggled. Neil

For clarity, here is a partial transcript of the speech in which this "gaffe" took place:

John McCain said:"You and I together will confront the $10 trillion debt that the federal government has run up and balance the federal budget by the end of my term in office. (Applause) Across--across this country, this is the agenda I have set before my fellow prisoners. And the same standards of clarity and candor must now be applied to my opponent! You know, we've all heard what he's said, but it's less clear what he has done, or what he will do."

Looks contextually accurate.

*edit*
fixed the quote blocks
Edited by Skeeve on 10/09/2008 10:52

Doubting Thomas
Contextually correct if he means that all of us being held prisoner by the trillions of dollars of national debt, but still it seems kind of an odd word to use.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

seeker
Shh, don't tell anyone. McCain is planning an escape.

I think McCain simply made a mistake. He relies so much on his war record for credibility that he is always slipping in some mention of his time as a POW. Its simply a sign that he was not thinking about his speech as he was giving it ie he was over rehearsed.

Hypatia
Seeker - lol.

I doubt if he intentionally meant to use the word 'prisoners', but it was a very interesting slip, if it was a slip. I don't see how it couldn't be though, because for him to use the word in that context on purpose makes no sense.

neilmarr
Possibly meant to say 'fellow senators'. You've got to excuse him. He's already old and obviously not in full command of what he says. I'm sure he'd lose control of his tongue on a regular basis, "with the same standards of clarity and candor", given the keys to the White House for twelve-years, rent free ... and still, Republicans standing right next to him wouldn't notice. Neil

Skeeve
I'm sure he was going to say, "my fellow Americans", but...

He shouldn't even be a Senator, much less the President.

Hypatia
McCain: 'I was in the armed forces!'

To McCain: 'We know, we know. Now step down from the podium - everything is going to be alright.' (pats his hand)

'Will someone please tuck McCain in for his nap now? Don't let him get overly tired. He's going to get cranky any time now, and then it'll take forever to settle him down and get him re-oriented.'

catman
At least he's ambulatory. He certainly likes to amble during debates.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: