View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Pseudo-Science
 Print Thread
Need a ghost buster?
Hypatia
Oy.

I went to a vitamin store a couple of days ago to get some cranberry extract to give to my MIL. I was looking around on the shelves and saw a bottle labeled 'Ghost Buster'. Rolling my eyes (natch), I picked up the bottle and read the label. It read, something to the effect, that to ward away unwanted spirits the product should be sprayed in closets, under beds and in any other places in the home, office or space where one wished to keep said spirits at bay.

It was $12.95 for a 4oz. bottle. I didn't even think to read what the ingredients were - I found the idea of the product so despicable that I shoved it back onto the shelf.

I noticed there were lots of other kinds of 'ooie-ooie' products on the shelves around it that were similar in nature (obviously I was in the wrong area of the store for what I was looking for).

The truly despicable part is that there's no doubt there are people who actually buy all that stuff. The question is, do they have any expectations that 'Ghost Busters' will 'work'?

Weird stuff.

catman
'No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public'. And the more expensive it is, the better it is. Right?Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

General-Pryce
That's brilliant, is there any where I can buy it online- I think it could be just the thing to have on/ for sale on the sceptical ghost tours (which by the way should be going ahead next summer!)

derF
Yeah, it is really frightening how some people will jump at the next new thing with out thought or study and treat is as gospel. (If I may borrow that phrase for another intention.) It seems like no matter what new, totally ridiculous idea anyone comes up with there is a coterie of people who will buy into it hook line and sinker. I guess it is people like this who have made so many entrepreneurs so wealthy.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
General-Pryce wrote:
That's brilliant, is there any where I can buy it online- I think it could be just the thing to have on/ for sale on the sceptical ghost tours (which by the way should be going ahead next summer!)

lol - kind of a gag prop, or a gag product? I'll go into the store again soon GP and take a look on the can to see if there is a website address on it. I'll get the store's website address too. This time I'll take a look to see what the ingredients are as well.

*BTW GP - glad to hear the plans for your ghost tours business are in full swing.
Edited by Hypatia on 10/23/2008 03:12

General-Pryce
Hypatia wrote:
General-Pryce wrote:

lol - kind of a gag prop, or a gag product? I'll go into the store again soon GP and take a look on the can to see if there is a website address on it. I'll get the store's website address too. This time I'll take a look to see what the ingredients are as well.

*BTW GP - glad to hear the plans for your ghost tours business are in full swing.

Cheers. gag prop which may be available as a gag product at the end of the tour. Yeah, things are starting to go well, we've decided to have a small amount of tours to start with then add more as demand (hopefully) increases.

Doubting Thomas
I think you can find some ghost spray on this page:

[url]http://www.silverhoofs.com/ghsbust.htm[/url]

Lots of oogie boogie items there. I'm sure that paying $12 for a bar of soap isn't too much to pay since it gets rid of negative energy.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

General-Pryce
Cheers for the link DT. There's a few items on there that could be useful, the exploding powder might be quite useful to end the tour with a "bang". It's going to be filled with accurate informaiton on the supernatural and paranormal- but needs to be entertaining so a few little gimmicks will help.

Will be getting a few of these items i think.

Sinny
GP great idea but be careful you don't have Sr. Citizens who could have heart conditions, ok Wink

Sinny
Hey Patia, build it and they will come. Market it and they will buy. Put the right label on it and they will believe anything. Of course like the Real Estate Market location, location, location still applies.

Nails3Jesus0
When I was a child, my mother would keep a bottle of Monster Spray to use against the monsters under the bed, hiding in the closet, etc. When I was older, and the monsters in my room stopped visiting, I found out that the Monster Spray was a spray bottle of water and a touch of my mothers perfume. Brilliant. Worked everytime. I would protest to her about some ghoul with pointy teeth dripping blood under my bed, she would come to the rescue with Monster Spray (complete with lable and everything!), hose down the offending freak of nature waiting in ambush under the bed, and I would soon be sound asleep to faintly sweet and comforting smell of my mother wafting through my bedroom.Cool

Sinny
N3J, That is adorable Smile

What a great idea. You always had the comfort of feeling like you Mom was with you to protect you. Nothing beats the Love and comfort of a good Mom when your a little one.

derF
Yeah, nothing more detrimental to monsters than a spray bottle filled with a little perfume, some water and a lot of love.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

General-Pryce
That's really good. I'm going to patent it and sell it. I'll be rich!

Jump to Forum: