View Thread

Atheists Today » Religion » Islam
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Twenty Years Jail for a Question
neilmarr
***The reporter and university journalism student was arrested after he printed off the Internet and distributed an article that allegedly questions some tenets of Islam and aspects of Prophet Mohammad.

He has alleged torture during his year-long detention and said his initial trial in Mazar-i-Sharif lasted only minutes and he was given no legal representation.

At Tuesday's hearing, five of his former lecturers testified that Kambakhsh had asked them "anti-Islam and insulting questions."

But a classmate, identified only as Hamid, said his earlier testimony at the first trial had been made under pressure from the country's intelligence department.***

And this is in Afghanistan where the West waged war to rid the country of Taliban 'extremists'. Makes you wonder just how enlightened the 'moderates' are, eh?

And before you run away with the idea that 20 years in jail is a high price to pay for a question, remember that this is the 'lighter' sentence handed down by a court that overturned an original death penalty for the offence.

Full story here: http://www.alarab...58650.html

Neil

catman
What a surprise. One is not allowed to question, of course. The Mohammedans will not permit any light to penetrate.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
Think of everything you did between the ages of twenty-three and forty-three, Cat, and you get some idea of what a twenty-year sentence actually means to this young feller, hose only crime was to dare people to think. Neil

derF
We are fighting a war in Afghanistan to (I suppose.) liberate a countries people from the oppressive governance of the taliban and al quaida. Unfortunately the people of Afghanistan may be of the opinion that we are there to allow them to follow the tenants of the Taliban and Islam. Quite a conundrum.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

cheshiredragon
I read this on MSNBC a few days ago...God bless America, yeah?
That's right, I said it...

willie
neilmarr wrote:And this is in Afghanistan where the West waged war to rid the country of Taliban 'extremists'. Makes you wonder just how enlightened the 'moderates' are, eh?

I couldn't find the reference to 'enlightened moderates', or anything along those lines in your link, Neil. Is it the wrong link? Or can you explain what you mean?

neilmarr
That was my personal comment, Willie (that's why it's not in italics and between the three quote asterisks). All I mean is that after a campaign to rid the country of Taliban extremists, the more 'moderate' authorities now in place seem little better if a sentence of this severity can be handed down to a journalist for perceived insult to Islam. Neil

catman
neilmarr wrote:
Think of everything you did between the ages of twenty-three and forty-three, Cat, and you get some idea of what a twenty-year sentence actually means to this young feller, hose only crime was to dare people to think. Neil

Some of the things I did during those years would have put me in jail had the authorities known about them. But your point is well taken.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

willie
Ah, I see. Well, I think few people expected this campaign to be any more successful in that regard than the British efforts in the nineteenth century or the Russian/US involvement in the twentieth. To misquote the song 'You say Mujahadeen freedom fighters, I say Taliban terrorist...'

Clearly, as this sorry tale shows, the 'West' have failed again in their crusade to spread freedom and democracy around the world. I don't suppose Guantanamo bay, Abu Ghraib or Bagram have set a good example --good as in moral, as a template I guess they are ideal.

So much for moderate westerners, eh?

Jump to Forum: