View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
electoral-vote.com
Doubting Thomas
http://www.electo...

Good site that uses several different polls to project likely votes for each candidate. So far it looks pretty good for Obama.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Sinny
PA strong dem. That surprised me Shock I expected to see PA a strong GOP since they get $$$ from Bush.

Skeeve
That reminds me of something I saw recently. Oklahoma now has more Dems registered to vote than Repubs. I wonder if we'll turn Blue after this election.

If so, I'm going to have to temper my 'ignorant Okie' name calling somewhat. Wink
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
Let's see how long they stay blue. My big worry is that a couple of years into Obama's term Republicans get back into the House and Senate.

Cynic
PA is blue by virtue of Philly (mostly) and the immediate area of Pittsburgh. We're big, but the population outside of those areas tends to be sparse so they balance out. Historically, Pittsburgh leans Democrat because of labor unions and more support in general for blue collar jobs. Today it's because steel has been replaced by medical and technology, areas were people tend to be a little more educated. But you're right to wonder at that. When you look at the county maps after the election, you'll notice that PA is basically a bug red blob with two blue spots on it.

catman
It looks good nationally (not in TX, unfortunately), but the worst thing Democrats can do is assume they are going to win.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Be hopeful. Let us not forget that any legislation that has occured in our government that has proven beneficial to the lower and middle classes has happened under democratic administrations.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
derF: I'd be wary of making such an all-encompassing statement. Long ago, the Republicans were not as they are today, and at least in the South, the Democrats were quite conservative.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
It's always puzzled me that, in the US, the colour red is associated with conservatives and blue with more social and or radical politics -- the exact opposite of elsewhere. And this in spite of the fact that, even in America, communists have traditionally been known as 'reds'. Anyone any idea why this shoulld be? Cheers. Neil

catman
That has occured to me before too. I don't know what the explanation is.

Cynic
In America, red signifies combat (as per the flag). I think.

Doubting Thomas
I think it's just that on our election maps, red has traditionally been used to signify Republican victories and blue Democrat wins for each state. It was probably just chosen on a whim and could have easily been turned around the other way.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

seeker
neilmarr wrote:
It's always puzzled me that, in the US, the colour red is associated with conservatives and blue with more social and or radical politics -- the exact opposite of elsewhere. And this in spite of the fact that, even in America, communists have traditionally been known as 'reds'. Anyone any idea why this shoulld be? Cheers. Neil

It started during the 2000 presidential campaign. News media started using red and blue for partisan states with white reserved for the toss up states. They chose blue for democrats because news media didn't want to be seen as identifying Democrats as Communists (traditionally seen as 'reds'Wink. Thus they use the colors of the American flag and republicansare red because they are least likely to be thought of as communist

derF
catman wrote:
derF: I'd be wary of making such an all-encompassing statement. Long ago, the Republicans were not as they are today, and at least in the South, the Democrats were quite conservative.

Let me rephrase that to read in living memory or in the last two centuries. (1900's and 2000's) but that hardly changes the point.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Jump to Forum: