View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Al Qaeda for McCain
neilmarr
According to today's New York Times, Al Qaeda is backing McCain (though the Republican camp ain't exactly shouting the news from the roorftops). The feeling is that McCain is more likely than Obama to carry on a Bush policy that has been such the main driving factor in the terrorist orgnisation's high recruitment figures.

***An American president who keeps troops in Iraq indefinitely, fulminates about Islamic terrorism, inclines toward military solutions and antagonizes other nations is an excellent recruiting tool. In contrast, an African-American president with a Muslim grandfather and a penchant for building bridges rather than blowing them up would give Al Qaeda recruiters fits.***

Neil

http://www.nytime...?th&emc=th
Edited by neilmarr on 10/26/2008 06:38

Nails3Jesus0
Perhaps they'll make a generous donation to his election campain.

seeker
The Republicans will definately take the money but no way will they accept the campaign workers.

Cynic
They don't seem to be having problems recuiting nuts-o campaign workers as it is, if that idiot that scratched herself up here is any indication.

Sinny
As I recall at the last election the same was said about Bush and BinLaden. Then the tape of Bin Laden came on the air translating that he was saying it didn't matter who was president. To this day I think that tape of Bin Laden reminded people of the fear they have towards Bin Laden, terrorists, etc. That helped get Bush re-elected.

Makes me wonder about this too but since McCain is so much like Bush and want's all out war on terror I think it's possible AlQaeda is looking forward to an American President to fight not a President with Muslim background of knowledge, experience and education.

If we get out we can get out of debt, hunker down and protect ourselves from invasion, catastrophes, and they won't get into our Country so easy next time they try to. This would greatly upset the crazy radicals who want to see us destroyed, who live for fighting, war. For many of them, not all Muslims, but the radicals that is all they know. As long as this Country is anxious to fight, fight, fight and bring any other ally we have against AlQaeda then AlQaeda will have a cause to recruit and keep fighting until one or the other stops. I understand we had to retaliate against the 9/11 bombings but it didn't have to be this way and McCain obviously hasn't learned that yet.

derF
All right. Everyone here knows I lean a bit to the left in my political outlook. (OK so I have completely fallen over on my left side a few times.) I grant you that this present administration makes an excellent recruiting tool for Islamic fundies looking for slack jawed idiots who can be coerced into vaporizing themselves along with anyone else they can get close enough to to do the trick. But, even with out Bush, conditions are still bad enough in the near east that they really have enough reasons right there at home to convince some that there is good reason to murder innocent civilians. As much as I hate the Bush administration (and I passionately do) I can't in all good conscience place all the blame on him.

Edited? What do you think?
Edited by derF on 10/27/2008 00:14
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Cynic
It's an interesting point though. Generally conservatives will tell you that terrorist organizations are pushing for Obama because they think he'll be a pushover. This new line of reasoning is compelling. Of course everything isn't Bush's fault, but from a certain perspective and assumption of their motives, the US response to 9/11 played right into their hands.

derF
Yes, can't argue with that line of reasoning, Cynic. We seem to have developed a perverted sort of glee in shooting ourselves in the foot. Over and over and over.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

seeker
Cynic wrote:
It's an interesting point though. Generally conservatives will tell you that terrorist organizations are pushing for Obama because they think he'll be a pushover. This new line of reasoning is compelling. Of course everything isn't Bush's fault, but from a certain perspective and assumption of their motives, the US response to 9/11 played right into their hands.

I must say I don't find the conservative argument compelling at all. The big failure of the Bush Administration is not in their response to 9/11 but in the fact that it happened at all. The fact is that all of the evidence was in place to stop the attack and the Bush Administration ignored it. That failure is symptomatic of the problem with most conservative arguments, they are always reacting to problems instead of acting to prevent them.

Jump to Forum: