View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » HELP!
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Computer question
willie
OK folks, here's a question. When I want to shut down my laptop I click start to bring up the menu, then click 'turn off computer', now here's the problem -- it takes ages, sometimes as long as 5 minutes, for the next window, giving the 'standby', 'turn off' or 'restart' options to come up. Until that window is clicked iI can't turn off. Usually I get bored waiting and go and do something else and forget to come back to turn it off.

So what's the delay?

Is there a way I can get the final window to come up so I can click 'turn off' and go to bed while it does what ever it's taking so long over?

I'm on windows xp.

Sinny
Do you have more than one computer in use? It might be that it thinks someone else is logged in on another netwrok connection to another computer in your home or another accuont user is logged in and didn't log off.
Edited by Sinny on 10/27/2008 16:07

Sinny
What I always do is click start and press turn computer off then turn off just like you do Willie but I also manually press the monitor button to turn the screen off and walk away. I don't wait for the computer to completely turn off.

If I don't manually press the computer screen off then it will go into this dizzy screen that looks like xmas flashing lights or it will start up again. Easiest way just do what you have been doing and then press the computer screen off. Done.

derF
Asking me questions about computers would be about as helpful as asking the turkey about the Thanksgiving Dinner.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Sinny
Ha ha ha ha that's funny DerF.

Or asking a pig about the pig roast.

cheshiredragon
willie wrote:
OK folks, here's a question. When I want to shut down my laptop I click start to bring up the menu, then click 'turn off computer', now here's the problem -- it takes ages, sometimes as long as 5 minutes, for the next window, giving the 'standby', 'turn off' or 'restart' options to come up. Until that window is clicked iI can't turn off. Usually I get bored waiting and go and do something else and forget to come back to turn it off.

So what's the delay?

Is there a way I can get the final window to come up so I can click 'turn off' and go to bed while it does what ever it's taking so long over?

I'm on windows xp.

This is the screen he is talking about Sinny:
[img]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n195/cheshiredragon/shutdown.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Sinny wrote:
Do you have more than one computer in use? It might be that it thinks someone else is logged in on another netwrok connection to another computer in your home or another accuont user is logged in and didn't log off.

Windows doesn't close down network connections at this point. It waits until it is closing, AFTER you press the red "Turn Off" button. What Windows is doing willie is attempting to simply load the screen for shut down. Microsoft made a bad decision to make this extremely graphic intensive. Notice the horrid fade to B&W. I wrote a guide on general system maintenance for Windows XP. If you can give me a few days to find it I will post it here for all to take care of their XP boxes.
That's right, I said it...

willie
Thanks sin. I wasn't very clear, I can't turn off until the second dialog box comes up giving me the options, it takes ages for that box to come up. Imagine turning off a light, you flick the switch, but that switch only activates the appearance of the off switch. Which takes ages to come up.

I don't know why I can't turn off with one click from the 'start' menu. But then I don't know why every piece of electrical equipment has to beep incessantly either. I don't programme them I just have to suffer.

Mrs willie is a software engineer and says she will look but never does. So I've decided to do it myself --Same old story Wink

It's something to do with saving data and settings, something is stalling. So I need to either find what is stalling or find a way to configure my settings so I hit the off button, I go to bed, it does it's business, and then turns itself off when it's done.

Derf I'm not trussing you up and basting you. Not again.

Jump to Forum: