View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Right Wing Slime (fyi)
derF
Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest Rather Than Read McCain Script Attacking Obama
By Greg Sargent - October 27, 2008, 5:18PM

Some three dozen workers at a telemarketing call center in Indiana walked off the job rather than read an incendiary McCain campaign script attacking Barack Obama, according to two workers at the center and one of their parents.

Nina Williams, a stay-at-home mom in Lake County, Indiana, tells us that her daughter recently called her from her job at the center, upset that she had been asked to read a script attacking Obama for being "dangerously weak on crime," "coddling criminals," and for voting against "protecting children from danger."

Williams' daughter told her that up to 40 of her co-workers had refused to read the script, and had left the call center after supervisors told them that they would have to either read the call or leave, Williams says. The call center is called Americall, and it's located in Hobart, IN.

"They walked out," Williams says of her daughter and her co-workers, adding that they weren't fired but willingly sacrificed pay rather than read the lines. "They were told [by supervisors], `If you all leave, you're not gonna get paid for the rest of the day."

The daughter, who wanted her name withheld fearing retribution from her employer, confirmed the story to us. "It was like at least 40 people," the daughter said. "People thought the script was nasty and they didn't wanna read it."

A second worker at the call center confirmed the episode, saying that "at least 30" workers had walked out after refusing to read the script.

"We were asked to read something saying [Obama and Democrats] were against protecting children from danger," this worker said. "I wouldn't do it. A lot of people left. They thought it was disgusting."

This worker, too, confirmed sacrificing pay to walk out, saying her supervisor told her: "If you don't wanna phone it you can just go home for the day."

The script coincided with this robo-slime call running in other states, but because robocalling is illegal in Indiana it was being read by call center workers.

Representatives at Americall in Indiana, and at the company's corporate headquarters in Naperville, Illinois, didn't return calls for comment.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
Good! McCain is desperate and is showing it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
All I can think is:
"WHY IS ROBOCALLING ONLY ILLEGAL IN INDIANA?!"
That's right, I said it...

Sinny
WTF [img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/2mo5pow.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

The thought of this happening let alone knowing it did frosts my ass. Obama eliminated the minimum sentence not the maximum.

Note that Rudy claims Obama "opposes mandatory prison sentences" for rapists and murders, Rudy is actually referring to Obama's opposition to specific mandatory minimum sentences. By dropping the word "minimum," he's insinuating that Obama opposes mandatory prison sentences in general.

Does eliminating the minimum sentence mean the convicted pedophile, rapist, etc criminal would then get maximum and no minimum sentence is considered for violent crimes? I think so and if so then WTF is the problem?

You can hear what Rudy Giuliani has to say:

http://tpmelectio...udy_gi.php

seeker
Republicans just don't care what state they leave the country in.

RayvenAlandria
I respect those who walked off the job, I would have done so as well.

I also think the robo-calling should be illegal in all states. It's annoying as hell.

Hypatia
We've received so many of those McCain robo-calls, which we don't bother to even answer. I believe McCain and Palin have done just about their best to be dishonest when referring to Obama and his politics, which leads me to believe they'd have no problem being dishonest about other things - simple as that.

derF
Hypatia wrote:
We've received so many of those McCain robo-calls, which we don't bother to even answer. I believe McCain and Palin have done just about their best to be dishonest when referring to Obama and his politics, which leads me to believe they'd have no problem being dishonest about other things - simple as that.

Yep, those republicans are so adept at lying that they actually are in denial and now believe anything that comes out of their mouths must be the truth.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Jump to Forum: