View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
 Print Thread
Election Poll
comfortable
Last night, in Prime Time (right after 60 Minutes) - the republicans here ran a 30-second spot with Obama's arm around Jeremiah Wright's shoulder.

After sound bites of Rev. Wright's "God damn America", the tag line was
Barack
Obama

Too Radical

Too Risky

Very similar to the below UTube video, with slightly better production
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwXcRLybJ1Q[/url]

Here's my editorial attempt to improve derF's tagline.

A theist walks into a bar with an atheist.......They promptly get into a fight.
The atheist thoroughly kicks ass. The theist prays to his god for help, so as the atheist leaves the bar, a small dog comes up and pees on his shoe.
The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.
Men are sheep in credulity, but wolves for conformity.

derF
Color me edited.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

comfortable
So now that the candidate that my wife and I donated $ to has won - what were the results of the Atheists Today polling?

Skeeve
I refer you to the right column of this page. Grin
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

comfortable
I guess you're referring to the poll at the right?

For me, that poll doesn't work.

I never vote "Republican", "Democrat", "Independent" - I always vote for individual candidates, senators, congressmen, city council, and yes, presidink....based upon each individual, regardless of "party".

Sorry I didn't fit into one of the pre-defined 'boxes', so I didn't feel like submitting to the poll.

I don't like being labeled as a member of a group, it's almost always wrong. Take "athiest" as a label, for example. We all know that lack of belief in a supernatural being is the only requirement; that each atheist has hugely different goals in life than any other atheist - and yet if a Fundamentalist says "You must be one of those atheists." he or she has an entirely inaccurate view of what that implies. A whole range of attributes come to the fundy's mind - attributes that I don't possess.

Ditto with "Democrat"

Skeeve
Hmmm, Democrat, Republican, Independent/Other....I think that would cover all of them.

While not completely accurate (which it wouldn't be either way), I believe the Independent/Other will suffice for you and others that don't identify or vote partywise (that's my made up word, I own it now).

Go ahead, click it...come on...just point that mouse and click. Grin

seeker
I thinkwe should have a category called unboxifiable.

Cynic
You should add a box for that.

comfortable
Skeeve wrote:
Hmmm, Democrat, Republican, Independent/Other....I think that would cover all of them.

While not completely accurate (which it wouldn't be either way), I believe the Independent/Other will suffice for you and others that don't identify or vote partywise (that's my made up word, I own it now).

Go ahead, click it...come on...just point that mouse and click. Grin

Done.

Whoa! NO Repubs?

seeker
Well, we are rationalists after all.

Skeeve
comfortable wrote:

Whoa! NO Repubs?

I guess our Republican members didn't want to vote. I know we have at least one, not sure if there are more.

seeker
Skeeve wrote:
I know we have at least one....

I knew we had a libertarian. Republicans aren't so bad, I think its very innovative for a political party to include its own psych ward.

comfortable
...and to consistently vote against their own best interests.

(I'm referring, of course, to opposing progressive taxation or having multinational corporations actually pay taxes instead of being allowed to hide money offshore through shell companies - on the theory that they themselves, the selfish Republican, will someday be rich.)

JDHURF
I donated to Obama's campaign and voted for him on the 4th when the polls first opened in Tulsa.

I then spent all day talking to and texting friends and family on the phone wired about the election results (I had been for months predicting an Obama landslide as is evident on my blog, on my facebook and especially at politicalcrossfire.com).
I spent a while in a bookstore bidding time before a friend and I met to eat out to celebrate his birthday (what a day for a birthday huh?) and couldn't hardly contain myself as Obama kept winning states like Pennsylvania and Ohio. When he won Ohio I knew my predictions (which were based upon Obama's historical political machine, the massive grass-roots and online campaign as well as the extensive scientific polling data that proved to be virtually without error, such as fivethirtyeight.com) were manifesting. When Obama also won Colorado, New Mexico, Florida and so on I couldn't hardly contain myself; it was a landslide I hadn't even expected.

I went home and watched coverage live online on democracynow.org and had NPR playing on my radio. I saw the massive and diverse crowd at Hyde Park in Chicago and it teared me up and I actually cried during the portion of Obama's speech about the 106 year old black woman, it was very touching. It was an exhilarating day.
[img]http://www.atheists.org/images/headerLogo.png[/img]

JDHURF
Hot damn, the old crew when I first joined has almost all returned. Nice to see you back around Comfortable and Cynic. I'm very happy to hear that you voted for Obama Cynic, it's really nice to know that.

As for Obama not being an American citizen - I just read through the thread - LOL

Someone needs a tinhat:

[url]http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html[/url]

Annenberg steamrolled that desperate and ugly propaganda (I recall the racist author of an Obama-attack book, something Coris, spouting this vile on some media outlet).

Annenberg is a nonpartisan, nonprofit, "consumer advocate" for voters.

comfortable
Hey, JDH.

Great to see you.

As you can tell, I don't post much these days.
We need fundy drive-bys to stir things up a bit, eh?

There's another "new" atheist site with the same old gang - but between server outages, etc....(and I can't remember if it's THIS one that had the outages, or the OTHER one)... I've stayed away a lot.

This one at least sends me e-mails when replies are made to a thread - although I still can't figure out how to view ALL threads that have posted since my last visit. That's a feature I miss.
Grin

JDHURF
I actually haven't been around for some time, but I did recall that you had stopped posting much on the older site as well.

I am unaware of the other atheist site, may check it out, but I do like this one.

I also miss the view all threads since last visit link as well as the view your posts link. Those links made it much easier to navigate your way.

comfortable
I forgot their URL, but the shortcut was
http://76.186.247.71:81/phpBB3/index.php

and it's still down as I type this.

On THIS one, I miss an Auto-Return-to-Thread after posting

comfortable
Maybe Obama will outlaw bullfighting in Spain ?

An AMAZING story from the BBC this morning...
[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7721823.stm[/url]

Skeeve
comfortable wrote:
although I still can't figure out how to view ALL threads that have posted since my last visit. That's a feature I miss.
Grin

comfortable: if you use the 'New Threads' link on the bottom of the 'Latest Active Forum Threads', it will show all threads since your last visit.

comfortable wrote:
On THIS one, I miss an Auto-Return-to-Thread after posting

I had this working for half a day over the weekend, but the coding was buggy. That's my #1 priority this week. I've gotten all the coding I wanted done except for this.

Jump to Forum: