View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » My precious!
Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My cats.
Hypatia
I'm sorry to hear the vet changed her mind Neil, but am glad to hear it has worked out in the end.

I hope the severe situation we have here in the US with cat and dog over-population, due to people not spaying and neutering their animals, doesn't exist where you live. Even without such over-population though there are, I'm sure, always many cats that would welcome a loving home.

How wonderful that Tommy is still stopping in to visit and keep you company - what a sweetie he is.

Hope you've had a fun summer with your guests and visitors.

catman
Hypatia:;congrats; You made the 100th post in the thread, and the first of any on AT to be that long.

I'd like to meet Tommy myself. He sounds like a sweet and sensitive cat.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
;blush; Gee, tanks Cat.

neilmarr
Etymology of 'moggie', Cat?

I found this over at Wiki ...

"Moggy", "moggie" or "moggies", can also be nicknames for the Common Moorhen. the Morris Minor car, any car made by the Morgan Motor Company and for the drug "Mogadon" (Nitrazepam).
Moggy or moggie (plural moggies) is a British affectionate term for a domestic cat, but is also used as alternative name for a mongrel or mixed-breed cat whose ancestry and pedigree are unknown or only partially known. Because of this mixed ancestry and free-breeding, a moggy can either be very healthy, or, if from an inbred feral colony, genetically unsound and sickly. However, as feral colonies are often left without any form of human intervention and veterinary attention, the most sickly generally do not live past kittenhood.

[edit] Etymology
The origin of the word moggy is not a corruption of the word 'mongrel', as many believe. It was first recorded in 1911, and was possibly derived from maggie, margie or mog, all short forms of the female name Margaret. It is thought this was first used to describe an ungainly lumbering old cow, and it may even have been a minor rural English name for any cow; since 'moggy' was used in several 1800s English dialects as an 'affectionate name' for a cow. As rural people flocked to the cities during the latter part of the Industrial Revolution, it seems likely that the cow moggy became maggie, applied as a term of abuse for a dishevelled old woman or older prostitute. The word is often used in the North of England to apply to a female cat. This can be seen in the popular Gracie Fields song "the biggest aspidistra in the world" which refers to "the moggies and the tomcats".

The origin is obviously confused, but as the early 20th century streets of London became filled with very many unhealthy looking stray cats, it would have been natural to apply the term moggy to describe these unfortunate creatures.

In parts of Lancashire, England the word 'moggy' means mouse not cat. A cat was known as 'the moggy catcher'. It has been suggested that this could be the etymology of the word moggy meaning 'cat' - over time the catcher part was dropped from 'the moggy catcher' and so moggy now means both 'mouse' and 'cat'.

In New Zealand the term 'moggy' is popularly assumed to be a reference to the letter M formed on the forehead of tabby cats by their striped markings. However it was most likely introduced by English immigrants.

Oddly enough, I did think of a corruption of Margaret. My late granny of that name was known as 'Maggie', which was pronounced 'Moggie' in the Scottish east coast fishing village where she lived.

My next door neighbour's little girl, Morganne, is thirteen now and, since the day she was born, I've always called her 'Moggie', as a dimimnutive her name, but also as a nickname for her being a kitten to me.

Also, I now remember, that the old British Morgan sports cars were also called 'Moggies' back in the day as a contraction of Morgan. (Ausin Healy Sprites were known as 'Froggies' because of their bulging headlights.)

Betcha didn't need to know this, did ya!

Hoots. Neil

catman
Well, that certainly answers the question, if in a rather convoluted way! Thanks, Neil.

I remember the 'Froggies'! I had a Triumph TR-3A in the 1960s. My dad was a sports-car fan, having had a Jaguar XK-120, an Austin-Healey 3000 Mk II, and a Volvo P-1800S.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
Now this cat is a real party animal.

i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/pics4funphotos/cats-partycat.jpg

Hypatia
$9.50 for a 6 pack?!

Holy shit, where does that cat live anyway?

What a lush. And looks like s/he's sleeping on the street besides. Another shameless cat. Tsk, tsk.

Bad kitties bad kitties
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When they come for you?
Bad kitties bad kitties
Whatcha gonna do
When they come for you?

:bigrazz:

Sinny
Schmoo I just saw your previous posts with pics of Zoe and Yoda. I missed them before and after I posted. *sigh* I need to be notified when new posts come in here. I usually go into the home page and click but get to the end of the thread not the beginning.

They are absolutely beautiful oh I have an urge to hug them and they're sooo sweeet looking. Yoda looks so happy and content in his new home. I don't blame you for not getting any kitties when you had to do all that moving around. It can be traumatic for them to move so often let alone what it does to you. I know I hated moving. No sooner than you get settled and bam! you have to move again. I think it takes a good year, at least, to get really settled in. Add that to having to worry about kitties, sheesh it's not easy.

Rayven I'm sorry to hear about your kitty cat getting sick like that. I took a chance once with my Kitty Girl but immediately picked her up and back in we both went. I freaked when she one time got out on her own and chased her all over the place. I never let her get out again.

Patia I had no idea. It's such a shame to find that out when it's too late to do anything but you did the right think and spared her pain and further suffering. Too bad we don't have that for us if/when we need it and nothing else can be done.

derF
Isn't it odd that we human beings, being the loving sensitive creatures that we are, will lovingly put a suffering pet out of it's misery so as not to prolong it's suffering but if grandma is suffering unbearable pain from the last stages of colon cancer we insist that she must continue to suffer until some invisible God (who loves us) finds the time to do the job.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
I agree, derF. It's ridiculous. If a person doesn't even have the right to say when they wish to die, what sort of freedom does s/he actually have?

Sinny
Hypatia wrote:
$9.50 for a 6 pack?!

Holy shit, where does that cat live anyway?

What a lush. And looks like s/he's sleeping on the street besides. Another shameless cat. Tsk, tsk.

Bad kitties bad kitties
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When they come for you?
Bad kitties bad kitties
Whatcha gonna do
When they come for you?

:bigrazz:

;sign10; ;rofl; You make that picture funnier Hypatia.

Cigs here are between 6.50 and 7.00 depending on which store you buy them in.

Sinny
Derf I too completely agree. Catman I agree with you too we don't have the right to choose. We should have that right especially when terminal. I know that a living will helps in this area.

A living will helps with this to some extent. You can make specific and strict orders/guideline to stop trying to revive or be kept alive. Problem is it isn't a guarantee you won't be left like a vegetable instead of peacefully ending your life the way it is for our pets.

Also I recently found out that some hospitals and/or nursing homes do somewhat assist in this area. They give them just enough morphine to make lethal but not too much that they are accused of anything like killing the preson. Unfortunately that's at the very end after the person has suffered so much anyway and are already at the end stages of the process of nearing death. it is just barely merciful and only done to spare the family at the very last second in the end.

If I become terminal or have alzheimers and am in horrible non stop pain, left on so many meds I'm not living anyway or left be be a babbling idiot then I say do me like a cat ....pffftt that's it l'm done. Of course I say it funny like and everybody laughs but seriously I want to have that option before or just when it's getting to the point where I know it's beyond any hope of recovering and the pain/suffering is too unbearable. Hey maybe we need a thread on this.

derF
Yeah, Sinny. Once again the religious right has been able to force their views on the rest of the population and at this very moment Dr. Kervorkian is wasting away in a prison cell somewhere because he had the audacity to try and help someone end their suffering.
;5sigh;
:no:

Can you believe it? He edited another one!
Edited by derF on 09/27/2008 01:28
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
derF: I agree completely. I think Dr Kevorkian is totally innocent of any wrongdoing, and in effect is a prisoner because of idiotic religious teachings which state that life, any life, no matter how painful and futile, is sacrosanct. That is pigheaded rubbish, with apologies to all the pigs and rubbish out there.

Sinny
Hey Derf Dr. Kevorkian was released in June 2007 but he won't be assisting anymore suicides.

Ok back to cats.

i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/pics4funphotos/catdontfuckwithme2.jpg

Don't f**k with me.
Edited by Sinny on 10/01/2008 20:30

Sinny
i126.photobucket.com/albums/p118/pics4funphotos/catsnotetoselfdonotswallowcoathange.jpg

Hypatia
Sinny - those are great pics. Can't blame the first one for looking pissed - looks like she was shaved, except for her head and ankles.

'Hey! Get some glasses ya humantard. I'm not a frickin' poodle'.

catman
In that first one, what did they think the poor kitty was, a poodle?

Hypatia
catman wrote:
In that first one, what did they think the poor kitty was, a poodle?

*blink* Why didn't I think of that?

*grin*

Hypatia
Sinny wrote:
Cigs here are between 6.50 and 7.00 depending on which store you buy them in.

*choke*

Jump to Forum: