View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
 Print Thread
NBC Just Called Election - Obama!
catman
derF, you're certainly right about that. Apparently Gore wanted to be out of Clinton's shadow a little too much. It was a bad move.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
I dunno -- at the time the fact of Clinton being impeached was still relevant.

derF
Cynic wrote:
I dunno -- at the time the fact of Clinton being impeached was still relevant.

Only to far right republicans. The right was so desperate to find something to use as a club against Clinton that they had to dig into his private life to find something. In most civilized countries and to liberals here that sort of conduct would merit nothing more than a wink and a nudge. It was something that no one had any business getting involved in other than Bill and Hillary. Don't foist the far rights immoral hate and fear tactics on the rest of us.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Cynic
Yes, but in general, the "base" is always more or less secure. The people you need to reach are those in the middle, and they're also usually the sort to think poorly of him at that time. Besides -- how much did being associated with him help Hillary this time. Wink

Besides his wooden nature (especially compared to Clinton's charisma), Gore ultimately suffered from a giant pendulum swinging his way and the fact that after 8 years of democrats, people forgot why they elected Clinton in the first place.

derF
Good points Cynic but Bills popularity index was much higher right after he left office than it was later when he had committed a few more embarrassing public gaffs.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

JohnH
derF I will agree with you about Gore made a mistake not including Clinton in his campaign. I do not like the wink and nod about his liaison with Monika Lewinsky. It points to me of his morality. She was a star f***er. He could not resist. Not a better morality than Mick Jagger or Ted Nugent.

It is telling along this line that Hillary kept him in the background too.

In general, like excluding Clinton and having Lieberman on the ticket, Gore ran a poor campaign. I understand that without Nader he would have won in Florida. My argument has always been that his poor campaign is the reason that was so important.

Jump to Forum: