View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
 Print Thread
Obama's Acceptance Speech
Skeeve
[quote]Remarks of President-Elect Barack Obama
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

seeker
Just watching Jesse Jacksons reaction when they announced Obama's win said it all to me. I really does feel like a new era in the US.

catman
seeker, I agree. What an absolutely splendid speech. I'm overjoyed. Although if I were in his place, after what the Bush idiots have done, I might demand a recount.
Edited by catman on 11/05/2008 15:58
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

seeker
I suspect he'll have something to say about the Bush idiots once he is in control of the Justice Department and has gotten rid of the corrupt Attorney General.

schmoo
I'm just almost speechless that this provincial, backward, arrogant and racist country of mine has actually elected a man I think will really make an excellent president!

Seriously, I'm just floored. I can barely take it in. The man is INTELLIGENT, first and foremost, and articulate, willing and able to see both sides of an issue. I've read comments that compare him to Kennedy, and I can truly see the similarities. I am hoping against all odds that our country can get over their stupid racial stereotypes and see the real man. He's one of the best we'll ever have.

In a related note-

"in some ways, running for president was a preposterous idea for someone who had served as a two-term state legislator and had spent only two years in the United States Senate."

But Sarah Palin, a governor of a state with not even a million citizens isn't a preposterous candidate for vice-president? Correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE, but doesn't a US Senator outrank a governor? Hell, there are mayors of cities that have more citizens than the entire population of Alaska!!

Theory_Execution
Its been a long, a long time coming, but I know-ow-oo-ow, a change gonna come, ohhh yes it will.

He was born by a river, in a little tent, ohhhh a just like the river hes been running ever since.

Its been a loooo-o-ong, a long time coming, and I know-ow-ow-oo-ow a change gonna come.

Love the references to A change is gonna come, Sam Cooke sang it well.

Theory_Execution
Back to Obama though. His diction is great, it will be a welcome change from the mumbling word mashed known as dubbya.

I can see him being a man that will hold audiences in his public announcements for all the right reasons, not because the media are looking for a great sound byte to wack up on the internet.

I cant say I ever listened to Bush for more than a minute, it was too painful.

catman
Obama is a pleasure to listen to. The intelligent matter-of-factness is a refreshing change.

BTW, I found Sarah Palin's town Wasilla on a map last night, and it is tiny. I don't imagine a mayor there would have much to administrate. Also, it's 800 or 1000 miles from Russia, so she certainly couldn't see that from her back yard.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Points to ponder. Close examination of the video of the speech will reveal there was no teleprompter and that Obama had no speech on the podium nor did he have any notes. His eyes remainsed looking outward and engaging the audience moving his focus around the audience. The man made one of the most brilliant speeches in recent memory and he did it off the cuff.

Now compare that to the miserable little stuttering speech Bush made the following day acknowledging President Obama's (gee I like saying that) victory. It was lame, ill composed and concealed none of the incompetence that Bush has revealed over the years. And his exit looked like that of a man who didn't have anything to do anymore and wasn't sure just where his was going.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
That makes it even more impressive, although I was impressed to the max anyway.

Hypatia
I thought it was an awesome speech.

Like Schmoo, I am very taken with his intelligence and articulation. I truly believe he'll do the best job he is capable of - and I think he is capable of much - and that the best interests of the citizens of the US (first and foremost) and our relations with the rest of the world will be his priority.

Something I feel from Obama is a whole hearted sincerity, and when that is coupled with his intelligence it is, to me, a meaningful, refreshing change from anyone we've seen in decades that can make a difference to our country.

Hypatia
derF wrote:
Now compare that to the miserable little stuttering speech Bush made the following day acknowledging President Obama's (gee I like saying that) victory. It was lame, ill composed and concealed none of the incompetence that Bush has revealed over the years. And his exit looked like that of a man who didn't have anything to do anymore and wasn't sure just where his was going.

Ummmm, yeah? So what was different about him?

Grin

derF
Hypatia wrote:
derF wrote:

Ummmm, yeah? So what was different about him?

Grin

Ummm I was trying to point out how accomplished Obamas speech was compared to Bush's. Here I go having to explain myself again. I am going to go back to the local community college and kick my composition teachers ass, I guess.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Bob of QF
I also enjoyed Obama's speech. It was like a breath of fresh air.

I thought McCain's concession speech was more like the McCain of 2000, and not the McCain of late; except for his racial slur obviously.

I found that I didn't mind listening to Obama's entire speech, either: it was articulate, thoughtful, but not emotionless or dry. It appealed to both the mind and the heart.

Something I would expect from an elite person

I'm like Jon Stewart (of Today's Show), don't we WANT an elite running the highest office of the land? Rather than a beer-drinking buddy?

Drinking beer's fine, for Friday night out with our buds, but when it comes to making policy that literally affects the world: Don't we want someone who's the best of the best of the best? As a bare minimum?

I know _I_ do.

I wish Obama the best: for he's got a hill to climb, now. Bushya's left the White House in a real mess, both figuratively and literally.

Time for Obama to go in, sweep out all the empty Coors cans, and get to work.

I for one, can hardly wait for January.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Skeeve
Bob of QF wrote:

I'm like Jon Stewart (of Today's Show),

That's like Jon Stewart of The Daily Show too.Grin
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

BartholomewRoberts
I wish Seeker was my Daddy.

Translated by Seeker
Edited by seeker on 11/06/2008 17:08

seeker
Bart please stop asking me to adopt you in PM's

BartholomewRoberts
Jolly Roger's pr0n collection again, disturbing. Of course nothing I haven't seen before. It's the shock value that turns him on.
Edited by cheshiredragon on 11/07/2008 02:50

JohnH
Theory Executioner, I kind of blew past your reference to "A Change is Gonna Come" before. Many a late night when I was feeling down about my life or the world Sam Cooke would revive my sense that indeed a change was going to come.

Theory_Execution
Hey JohnH, Mr Cooke was a great singer, I have the Portrait of a Legend set on me puter, listen to a few every week. My ringtone for my mobile is Summertime as done by Sam.

By the by, its Theory Execution, as in Demonstration and Implementation.

A xian did once comment that he had figured my name out, that I was only on their site to listen to their theories and mercilessly kill them.

Jump to Forum: