View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Election 2008 (US)
 Print Thread
Obama's Acceptance Speech
catman
My first experience with the racial thing was when I was a little kid in Ft Worth. My mother and I were downtown at a big store, and there were separate water fountains for "white" and "colored". I thought that "colored" meant that the water was going to be green or red or some color! I started drinking out of it and my mother, embarrassed, pulled me away from it and explained what the signs meant.

I think Obama's message of 'hope' is similar to FDR's "we have nothing to fear but fear itself" in 1933, in the depths of the Great Depression. The Republicans have run the country and campaigned on fear, and we are in a deep recession (if not a depression; no one wants to use that word).
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
The initial euphoria of Obama' s victory has slowly evaporated and I am left wondering if the man is willing and capable of fulfilling my hopes for the country. He has a slight majority in both the house and senate and the mandate of the people but does he have the wherewithal to execute it? I guess time will tell. I wish him all the best and all the luck in doing so.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
I don't think anyone could fulfill the unrealistically high expectations that some have of him. As he has pointed out, it's going to take some time to dig ourselves out of the hole we are in. He isn't a magician, but I think we have as good a chance with Obama as we would with anyone. His cool matter-of-fact attitude is what we need.

China has placed into effect a big stimulus package which will (I hope) help the Asian markets, and since we're all in this together, the rest of us too.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

comfortable
Agreed, catman.

The unwashed masses always assign too much blame to the individual occupying the office, and the flip side is they expect too much as well.

The president has "the bully pulpit", but, heck, he can't even get a "line item veto" - whoever he is.

Shame on those who set themselves up for disappointment by expecting "too much" - besides, when has any politician kept all his promises.

Read Obama's "promises" carefully - there are none.
He's "promised" 'change', 'hard work', and 'bi-partisanship' attitude.

He's published a tax "plan". A "plan" is not a promise - he must go through congress first...and even his plan allows for modifications as the situation warrants.

So what is it, exactly, that people are referring to as "promises"? What are they basing 'expectations' on?
Edited by comfortable on 11/10/2008 11:24
The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion.
Men are sheep in credulity, but wolves for conformity.

seeker
My worry is that no matter what Obama does accomplish the Limbaugh's, O'Rielly's, Hannity's and Scarborough's will find ways to denigrate or dismiss those accomplishments the way they did Bill Clinton's.

Cynic
No point in worrying -- of course it'll happen. ;-)

Sinny
IMO Obama can't outright make a promise to do something but he can say what his plan is to do. Meaning that is his promise to do everything he can to follow his plans. He want's to tax the rich not the working middle class, poor and won't make the percentage the same amount for everyone. He doesn't want it all across the board but to make id more fair for those who can't afford to pay as much as those who can.

To me when a politician says what his plan is that is his promise... to follow through with his plans as much as possible.

comfortable
seeker wrote:
My worry is that no matter what Obama does accomplish the Limbaugh's, O'Rielly's, Hannity's and Scarborough's will find ways to denigrate or dismiss those accomplishments the way they did Bill Clinton's.

Like slime on the bottom of a catfish pond - they've gotta make a living.

Society looks down on hookers just trying to do the same (make a buck no matter how). I wonder aloud if something could cause the denigrators' stock to fall.

The basic problem IMHO is that the screechers and the angry mob are moved to organize and be active against the rest of us....while on our side, there just aren't that many Ranters. Nixon coined a phrase, misapplied, but us liberal-types might actually be (too much) The Silent Majority.

seeker
Its hard to rant intellectually. When it comes to passion and 30-second sound bites the intellectuals are at a disadvantage.

comfortable
Which is more scary - Given a room full of 50 people, each one with a gun within reach...
- if they are screaming and ranting
- if they are observing Robert's Rules of Order and engaged in an orderly debate.

Cynic
The second is definately more scary -- and that's without the guns within reach.

seeker
Why? In the second scenario half of them are asleep, a quarter of them are checking their watches, ten percent of them are trying to figure out if anyone else has figured out some secret or other about them, another ten percent are imagining someone naked and the final five percent are actually engageds in the proceeding. That means only five perscent are shooters (not counting potential suicides of course)

Cynic
The day I see everyone observing Robert's Rules of Order, I'm going to head to the basement and look for the pods.

derF
Obama is going to be under heavy and constant attack from day one of his administration. Actually events have already disclosed that the right is already blaming Obama for some of the nations woes just because he is going to become our president. Look for the hard right pundits to pull all the stops and jettison all reason as they attempt to make Obama look like a worse president than their own, feeble, current White House resident.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

catman
Of course he will be treated badly by the opposition. What I am afraid of is that he will be expected by some supporters to turn everything around immediately, a feat which no one could do.

Bob of QF
derF wrote:
Obama is going to be under heavy and constant attack from day one of his administration. Actually events have already disclosed that the right is already blaming Obama for some of the nations woes just because he is going to become our president. Look for the hard right pundits to pull all the stops and jettison all reason as they attempt to make Obama look like a worse president than their own, feeble, current White House resident.

They are ALREADY blaming Obama for the current economy!

And he ain't even in OFFICE yet!

These pukes have zero morals.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Theory_Execution
The UK is running stories like 'Obama opens the way for black prime minister'. What a load of crap, it has been open all of my life.

I really believe that if we were all the same colour, the hatred of others would be based upon regional accents - which it is to a slight degree.

comfortable
Disappointed in sheeple?

Where's the news value in that?

comfortable
derF wrote:

According to Sta Sarah, it's 'pundints', not 'pundits'
and
I am somewhat surprised to find out that they had any reason to jettison. I thought that the definition of a 'hard' pundint of any stripe was to be utterly without logic or reason.

What they want is a torches-and-pitchforks mob, not a discussion of ideas.

Wink

Jump to Forum: