View Thread

Atheists Today » Religion » Judaism
 Print Thread
Monks brawl at Christian holy site in Jerusalem
Sinny
I don't know if anyone can read this tonight but I just couldn't resist posting it. I know it's late to show since it was reported Nov. 9th. I think this is funny. Imagine what they were like 2000 years ago since they are fighting over such stupidity now.

BTW they can't fight for shit. It looks more like shoving and pushing.

JERUSALEM (AP) - Israeli police rushed into one of Christianity's holiest churches Sunday and arrested two clergyman after an argument between monks erupted into a brawl next to the site of Jesus' tomb.

Oh and there's more fighting and disagreements if you read the rest of the article. It's not long but make's it clear.

[url]http://apnews.excite.com/article/20081109/D94BGGFG0.html[/url]

I had to edit to see if changing the default color would help and it did. I'm not sure now in this edit if you can see the website to click on. If you move your mouse around you will find it when the cursor turns into the hand. Well now I will check to see if the site addy is white enough to see on the black background.

*removed color blocks
Edited by Skeeve on 11/10/2008 07:26

Sinny
This is so freaky LOL.

I have to edit my posts to change the font color to the last choice in "color" to "white" LOL.

Yep I'm editing now and I'm going to make my font white so ya all can see what I am typing. LOL this is funny.

Edited by Sinny on 11/09/2008 21:50

derF
Just another example of two blind faiths running head on into each other.

Your posts look fine Sinny.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Bob of QF
Apparently, when you edited your bit, you hosed your link.

Here's a copy-n-paste of it:

[url]http://apnews.excite.com/article/20081109/D94BGGFG0.html[/url]

I see this as nothing new.

Believers have been fighting among themselves since they were invented.

This is because believers cannot possibly believe in the exact same thing, can they? Who gets to decide what that would be?

It's the nature of fantasy: since it's not based in any reality, it can literally become anything.
Edited by Bob of QF on 11/10/2008 01:21
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Bob of QF
I just read the whole article.

Pathetic.

Someone ought to do all christians world-wide a favor, and put a largish bomb into that place and obliterate it completely, down to the bedrock.

Those kooks are WORSHIPING the place. Not worshiping IN it, but treating the location as if it was some sort of god.... !

Not even realizing they are violating a rule of their own silly religion, false idols....!

neilmarr
***Six Christian sects divide control of the ancient church. They regularly fight over turf and influence, and Israeli police are occasionally forced to intervene ...

The feud is only one of a bewildering array of rivalries among churchmen in the Holy Sepulcher.

The Israeli government has long wanted to build a fire exit in the church, which regularly fills with thousands of pilgrims and has only one main door, but the sects cannot agree where the exit will be built.

A ladder placed on a ledge over the entrance sometime in the 19th century has remained there ever since because of a dispute over who has the authority to take it down.***

All seems a little Guliverian, doesn't it.

And it underlines the basic problem of all faith movemets. Because their foundations are dug in sand, they are forever shifting and can never be substantial. Whereas fact trumps assumption, no mere 'belief' can trump another.

Best. Neil

neilmarr
By the way, Sinny ... why a Christian farce in the Jewish section? You're asking for trouble from the Popular Front of Judea. Neil

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE[/url]
Edited by neilmarr on 11/10/2008 02:16

Doubting Thomas
Well that's better than the Judean People's Front.

The Israeli government has long wanted to build a fire exit in the church, which regularly fills with thousands of pilgrims and has only one main door, but the sects cannot agree where the exit will be built.

A ladder placed on a ledge over the entrance sometime in the 19th century has remained there ever since because of a dispute over who has the authority to take it down.

More recently, a spat between Ethiopian and Coptic Christians is delaying badly needed renovations to a rooftop monastery that engineers say could collapse.

Lol... let's endanger people's lives because we can't agree on anything. Typical religious nonsense. I for one applaud the divisiveness, because if they can't get together on things like this, then hopefully that will keep them from agreeing on more serious issues, like the proper way to torture nonbelievers.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Sinny
Thanks Derf I wasn't sure about my post but gave it a good try trWhat gets me too is what happened to love thy neighbor. They can't even see each side thinks they are right only because they say so without any proof.

John H. False idols, indeed. Also this site has become their battle ground for greed of ownership and worshipping.

Neil that's what I was talking about at the rest of the artile. More fighting and disagreements. the stupid bastards can't agree on anything over la la land. That YT video was funny Neil. Hey the jews and christians might all want a part of it to get $$ from tourists here in America.

DT yeah if they can't kill each other they might try going after us. Though I don't think it would be much fun for them since there aren't as many of us as there are of them. I hope they never think killing us would bring them together, but then they would only fight over which type of torture would be appropriate according to each religious belief. We better find ways to make our numbers go up.

And now I remind you of my siggy line:

Religion does three things quite effectively: Divides people, Controls people, Deludes people.

Doubting Thomas
It's interesting that Neil made a reference to The Life of Brian in which there were so many splinter groups of Judeans each trying to overthrow the Romans that they were all totally ineffective. In the movie, each of the groups was so intent on promoting their own goals and own individuality from other groups that they were too busy fighting amongst themselves rather than uniting against the Romans.

"My brothers, we should be fighting together!"
"We are!"

Which is why I say I welcome the divisiveness among Christians because, along similar lines, if they're all divided it keeps them from being united in a common goal to promote one brand of Christianity.

catman
I agree that divisiveness among Xians is a good thing, for a somewhat different reason, namely that since they expend some of their energy in fighting amongst themselves, they can't focus it all ll on non-Xians.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
Even here in the US, if Christians will keep busy debating transubstantiation or the proper listing of the ten commandments, maybe they'll have less time to bother us.

More importantly, the divisiveness will keep any one group from establishing an official religion or theocracy since all the other groups will be upset that it's not their denomination that's in charge. I would be more worried if all Christians in this country were Baptists, for instance, and agreed on their religion. Being united in this way would give them more impetus toward a theocracy.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 11/11/2008 10:39

Sinny
DT
It's interesting that Neil made a reference to The Life of Brian in which there were so many splinter groups of Judeans each trying to overthrow the Romans that they were all totally ineffective.

That went right over my head. Nice catch but I still missed it. You have a good point DT I agree. It just gets me sometimes at how they fight over which religion is the best religion. Their fighting over this nonsense just brings more attention to religion and their rights over which religion gets more rights. We saw it first so it's our....no no no you must share.... screw you I won't share with you and so on. What happens when they get sick of fighting each other and need a scapegoat to find a way to get along. Hey find someone else they can both hate and they have a common interest that could help bond them. At least temproarily.

IMO we should have all religious symbols for all religious holidays right along with all non religious symbols for everyone or none at all. I'm talking about the holidays coming up. There was a complaint last year from a Rabbi who made a comment about how some, I think it was a dept. store, that had 7 or 8 xmas trees displayed and not one Jewish Hanukkah Menorah. The Rabbi was made out the bad guy just for saying he wanted his own displayed too. He was later sorry he even said anything since he was flat out accused of question why the Hanukkah Menorah wasn't displayed when he never complained about the xmas trees being there. That wasn't what bothered him, the xmas trees, he never asked for them to be brought down. The store did end up bringing them down in refusal to display the Jewish holiday symbol. In my area everybody started screaming about it, the papers were saying all symbols should be displayed whenever an xmas tree or cross is displayed. Retailers don't like that here. They say it's too much to display. In another Dept. Store a friend of mine, who is in management at Macy's, received complaints from Jewish women about the music being all christian. Also I remember, this is going back a few years ago, when a woman in the 7 eleven said merry xmas to me in front of a Jewish man, the one's who wear the big top hat and have the curly sideburns, can't thnik of what they are called off hand right now LOL, I'm tired and my ears itch, getting sore. Anywah he looked pissed to no end when he heard her say that to me. I figured make some peace before he complains about it and gets her into trouble. So I said um thank you and happy holidays to you. It's nice that you say what you prefer and I reply back with what I lprefer. So if you were say Jewish you would say happy Honukkah and I would say happy holidays back to you. It's what I do with my friends of different faiths. The guys face seemed to lighten up a bit after hearing that but I'm sure he still didn't like even though I got my point across indirectly. I sure do see some underlying tension between Jews and christians now and then.

Skeeve
I'm sending sinny a box of double returns. Pfft
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Doubting Thomas
Sinny, you should go rent Monty Python's The Life of Brian. It's a hilarious movie which points out some ridiculousness of following different religions.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's that time of year again when Fundies will be running around screaming about a "war on Christmas." They think that including people of all faiths in holiday parades & ceremonies is somehow an attack on Christmas and Christianity. Of course we know that religion is all about exclusion.

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Sinny, you should go rent Monty Python's The Life of Brian. It's a hilarious movie which points out some ridiculousness of following different religions.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's that time of year again when Fundies will be running around screaming about a "war on Christmas." They think that including people of all faiths in holiday parades & ceremonies is somehow an attack on Christmas and Christianity. Of course we know that religion is all about exclusion.

The movie is very good.

The written script, with stage direction and notes is even better, IMO

neilmarr
The strange thing about the movie is that, at no point, does it deny the historical existence of Christ.

Brian could well have been set up as a character who was so misunderstood that he actually became what we know as the messiah, more clearly stating an atheistic view. Rather than do that, though, the Monty Python movie alwys kept 'the real thing' in the background and Brian as nothing more than an innocent contemporary in confused times.

The film, though, does make many, many important points: squabbling factions, early disagreement as to meaning and doctrine, the hollow importance of religious symbols, the pointlessness of religious resolve, the ease with which prophets and messiahs can catch the popular imagination, the 100% MANufacture of religion, and the absurdity of deus ex machina intervention.

And as DT points out ... it's bloody hilarious (but still, I'm told, banned in Scottish cinemas).

Cheers. Neil

Bob of QF
I think one of my favorite lines is when Brian is at the window, and tries to deny he's any sort of messiah.

The crowd responds, "He's The One! Only the TRUE messiah would deny it!"

So, he thinks for a bit, and comes out, "Okay, okay. I'm the messiah"

Crowd roars with approvial: "He Admits It! He Admits It!"

You just can't win, when True Belief is in action....

I also like the scene where Brian falls into the pit, and causes a hermit (Michael Palin) to speak for the first time in, what 10 years or something. After that, the hermit won't shut up....

Of course, there's the whole falling off the tower thing. Too funny.

Jump to Forum: