Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » Religion » Judaism
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Religion section titles
JDHURF
I found it amusing that this entire section had titles like Christ's cult, Mohammad's cult and so on and then there's the polite "Judaism Discussions regarding the Jewish religion." Weird. Shouldn't it be called Moses' cult? Or shouldn't all the titles simply reflect the simple, accurate and polite Judaism title?

Just some thoughts I had when becoming more acquainted with the site.
[img]http://www.atheists.org/images/headerLogo.png[/img] is not a valid Image.

Skeeve
Actually, I guess it should be Abraham's cult. We had titles similar to this one before I changed them. Looks like I may have wandered off or got distracted before finishing the renaming.

Thanks for the heads up.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

JDHURF
No prob. Glad my observations were actually helpful.
Edited by JDHURF on 11/11/2008 10:17

neilmarr
When suggestions were first made for these sections, JD, I think the idea for this one was originally 'Abraham's Cult'. I assumed it didn't catch because 'Abrahamic' covers all three monotheisms.

Your 'Moses' Cult' would give it a slightly more specific identity. Again, though, Moses is a prophet in all three religions. 'Yaweh's Cult' wouldn't work because God was no more responsible for Judaism than Christ was for Christianity.

Maybe we shouldn't try to be smart at the risk of seeming overpolitical correctness and just re-title all these sections simply with the religions to which they apply: Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Scientology, Mormonism, etc.

Cheers. Neil

seeker
My vote would be for Jewish Mythology.

catman
I'm with neilmarr on this one. There is no need to be pejorative in the headings. (We can save that for any theists foolish enough to take us on.)Grin
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
Which one do we choose when it's about judeo/christian religion? LOL

Ok I'm going to go hide now. LOL

JDHURF
neilmarr wrote:
Maybe we shouldn't try to be smart at the risk of seeming overpolitical correctness and just re-title all these sections simply with the religions to which they apply: Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Scientology, Mormonism, etc.

Cheers. Neil

That would be what I would vote for and what I was getting at in my OP when I said:

Or shouldn't all the titles simply reflect the simple, accurate and polite Judaism title?

derF
I agree, calling them by their religions name is the better way to go. Some might feel we are not open minded if we label their own personal waste of time as a cult.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Skeeve
Well, it might keep away the "nice" xians and attract the idiots...which are more fun to play with? Grin

Makes no difference to me.

Let's form a committee to select members to committee a study on the proposed changes.

Or just ask an Admin to change them. Cool
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

neilmarr
No big deal, Skeeve; but you have so neatly sidestepped any hint of religious ridicule in your registration introduction, maybe it would be a good idea -- in the same spirit -- to reflect that in the section headings. As Cat says, we can frfeely express our individual feelings in the discussion threads. And the title of the site itself leaves little doubt as to the membership's prevailing stance. Cheers. Neil

Jump to Forum: