View Thread

Atheists Today » Religion » Islam
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Honour Killings in the West
seeker
derF wrote:

While I don't agree with your conclusion of my post I can see how you would come up with it. Let me put it this way. Christian and Jewish practitioners come from more well to do societies and Muslim countries are mostly poor and third world. It is easier to fill the mind of a has not with hatred and violence than it is to convince someone well off that they should engage in some sort of violence to improve their lot.

This I agree with derF, in fact I think its the real crux of the problem. Violence in the Muslim world is not about Islam as much as it is about them being oppressed. Unfortunately the perception they have of the US is all too often one of us as sipporting the worst oppressors in the region, despots and fascist leaders rather than democratic leaders

derF
JDHURF wrote:
derF wrote: I fail to see how that statement seems so incendiary to you.

Obviously. Try interchanging Muslims with Jews and then tell me you donít see the vulgarity.

We should try to stay on topic with these threads.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

derF
seeker wrote:
derF wrote:

While I don't agree with your conclusion of my post I can see how you would come up with it. Let me put it this way. Christian and Jewish practitioners come from more well to do societies and Muslim countries are mostly poor and third world. It is easier to fill the mind of a has not with hatred and violence than it is to convince someone well off that they should engage in some sort of violence to improve their lot.

This I agree with derF, in fact I think its the real crux of the problem. Violence in the Muslim world is not about Islam as much as it is about them being oppressed. Unfortunately the perception they have of the US is all too often one of us as sipporting the worst oppressors in the region, despots and fascist leaders rather than democratic leaders

Agreed, Seeker. As is always the case, the lesser more vulnerable people in our society are being used as pawns to advance the greedy ambitions of immoral individuals with regrettable motivations.

catman
Installing the Shah of Iran didn't work out too well in the long run, did it?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
Not even a smidgen.

JDHURF
derF wrote:
JDHURF wrote:

Obviously. Try interchanging Muslims with Jews and then tell me you donít see the vulgarity.

Translation: "I don't want to defend my own words, so please don't bring it up."
[img]http://www.atheists.org/images/headerLogo.png[/img] is not a valid Image.

derF
JDHURF wrote:
derF wrote:
JDHURF wrote:

Translation: "I don't want to defend my own words, so please don't bring it up."

Translation: "I am so well informed that I feel I can speak for you!"
Edited by derF on 11/29/2008 02:03

derF
catman wrote:
derF: I'd say that your concluding paragraph above contains a couple of huge generalizations. I wouldn't say that Israel is all that much more 'enlightened' than some Muslim countries. Maybe it depends on what you mean by 'enlightened'.

Many of the 'third world countries' seem to have a big chunk of the filthy lucre these days. Have you seen Dubai lately? Great Mother of Pearl!

Paragraph 1: Enlightened = Better educated, more opportunities, more freedom and chance for and improvement of ones status in society.

Paragraph II; Yes a lot of third world countries DO have a big chunck of the lucre but only a tiny fraction of the upper strata of their societies benefit from it. Does that sound like any other countries you are familiar with?

catman
Regarding Paragraph 2, it does sound familiar. So what makes the Muslim countries so different in that regard?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
catman wrote:
Regarding Paragraph 2, it does sound familiar. So what makes the Muslim countries so different in that regard?

Nothing that I am aware of.

JohnH
I am a well off upper middle class white male. I also would self describe myself as an anarcho-syndicalist. I am conflicted human being. So the bleep what.

I think it is very important for atheists to understand that argument is useful. It should not be personal. Although yelling should be allowed.

Please don't be too sensitive and please don't be too personal.

JDHURF
derF wrote:
JDHURF wrote:
derF wrote:
JDHURF wrote:

Translation: "I am so well informed that I feel I can speak for you!"

That sure is awfully deceitful. I'm simply asking for you to explain and/or defend your own statements.
[img]http://www.atheists.org/images/headerLogo.png[/img] is not a valid Image.

catman
JohnH wrote:I think it is very important for atheists to understand that argument is useful. It should not be personal. Although yelling should be allowed.

Please don't be too sensitive and please don't be too personal.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more.

Jump to Forum: