View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Getting the truth for Christ
Skeeve
For those with strong stomachs, here is an article I found around the net.
As soon as I can find out more about the author, I'll add it.

If you don't like reading gore, you may wanna pass on this one.

http://atheiststo...icle_id=14
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

Nails3Jesus0
That was one of the most disgusting things I have ever read. Beyond words.Angry

Bob of QF
Skeeve wrote:
For those with strong stomachs, here is an article I found around the net.
As soon as I can find out more about the author, I'll add it.

If you don't like reading gore, you may wanna pass on this one.

http://atheiststo...icle_id=14

Do you have a source for this one? It was an interesting (if horrific) read. Nothing new to me, though (except perhaps for the details).

Is this from a book or essay?

I may use it for links in arguments, later.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I can hardly add anything to Nails3Jesus0's assessment. Hideous.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
Of course, these are isolated incidents carried out far away by extremists; not moderates. Some people will always misinterpret the scriptures and misunderstand what God really meant. Neil
Edited by neilmarr on 11/17/2008 01:51

seeker
Pretty rough stuff.

This is why I don't get all that excited when I see horror stories about Muslim beliefs, we aren't all that far removed from our own Christian horrors.

willie
Of course, given the fact that there is no god, these acts only reflect what mankind is capable of.

Nails3Jesus0
seeker wrote:
Pretty rough stuff.

This is why I don't get all that excited when I see horror stories about Muslim beliefs, we aren't all that far removed from our own Christian horrors.

Yes, very rough stuff. But I do tend to get excited about horror stories about Christian AND Muslim beliefs. I like what Sam Harris has to say about beliefs:

"It is time we recognized that belief is not a private matter; it has never been merely private. In fact, beliefs are scarcely more private than actions are, for every belief is a fount of action in potentia, The belief that it will rain puts an umbrella in the hand of every man or woman who owns one. It should be easy enough to see that belief in the full efficacy of prayer, for instance, becomes an emphatically public concern the moment it is actually put into practice: the moment a surgeon lays aside his worldly instruments and attempts to suture his patients with prayer, or a pilot tries to land a passenger jet with nothing but repetitions of the word "Hallelujah" applied to the controls, we are swiftly delivered from the province of private faith to those of a criminal court.
As a man believes, so he will act. Believe that you are the member of a chosen people, awash in the salacious exports of an evil culture that is turning your children away from God, believe thaty you will be rewarded with an eternity of unimaginable delights by dealing death to these infidels- and flying a plane into a building is scarcely more than a matter of being asked to do it. It follows, then, that cerain beliefs are intrinsically dangerous. We all know that human beings are capable of incredible brutality, but we would do well to ask, What sort of ideology will make us most capable of it? And how can we place these beliefs beyond the fray of normal discourse, so that they might endure for thousands of years, unperturbed by the course of history or the conquests of reason? These are problems of both cultural and psychological engineering. It has long been obvious that the dogma of faith- particularly in a scheme in which the faithful are promised eternal salvation and doubters are damned- is nothing less than their perfect solution.
It is time we admitted, from kings and presidents on down, that there is no evidence that any of our books was authored by the Creator of the universe. The Bible, it seems certain, was the work of sand-strewn men and women who thought the earth was flat and for whom a wheelbarrow would have been a breathtaking example of emerging technology. To rely on such a document as the basis for our worldview- however heroic the efforts of redactors- is to repudiate two thousand years of civilizing insights that the human mind has only just begun to incribe upon itself through secular politics and scientific culture. We will see that the greatest problem confronting civilization is not merely religious extremism: rather, it is the larger set of cultural and intellectual accommodations we have made to faith itself. Religous moderates are, in large part, responsible for the religious conflict in out world, because their beliefs provide the context in which scriptural literalism and religious violence can never be adequately opposed."

Sam Harris
The End of Faith

catman
Sam Harris said it perfectly. Thanks for posting that, N3J0. I need to read The End of Faith!
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
I have a real bee in my bonnet about so-called moderates in every religion. Their acceptance of certain pars of scripture and seemingly harmless ritual means that they turn a blind eye to the elephant in the room.

Watch this two-minute video very carefully. It might, at a glance, seem off-topic. Actually it perfectly and unintentionally demonstrates exactly what I mean about 'moderate' religionists of any stripe.

http://www.youtub...FE92HYShYU

Please don't post the 'answer' until folks have had a chance to see for themselves.

Cheers. Neil

catman
That was great!

seeker
Nails - That I agree with. Wink

Jump to Forum: