View Thread

Atheists Today » The Real World » Medicine
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
First stem cell transplant
neilmarr
We have a pseudscience section, but we seem to have lost the section for real science for some reason, so I'll post this bit of good news here instead.

The first transplant operation of a body part grown from stem cells has been carried out at a hospital in Barcelona, Spain. Doctors say it was a success and that the new science will be commonplace within twenty years.

Story here: http://www.scotsm...4706821.jp

Bush, who blocked stem cell research funding in the US for what appears to be misguided religious reasons has a lot to answer for. Wonder if he'll ever call on this science himself.

Neil

derF
Good Post Neil. Luckily it is widely believed that Obama will repeal Bush's ban on stem cell research and that will be a good thing for the world as a whole and the U. S. as a country.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Skeeve
neilmarr wrote:
we seem to have lost the section for real science for some reason,

Ta-da! Cool
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

neilmarr
You're a scholar and a gentleman, Skeeve. The revived sections will be of even more use when Photon and SolidSquid get back. Many thanks. Neil

Sinny
This is incredible, very very exciting. I hope someday they can use stem cells to give me new ear drums.

Derf what do you mean repeal Bush's decision? I thought he only banned Embryonic Stem Cels that are made specifically for the purpose of stem cell research but not other embryo's that were of no use as far as reproduction, not made in a lab for that specific purpose. I think embryo's have a certain life span but not sure about that. I wondered how he could approve embryo's they would only throw out but not embryo's that were specifically made for stem cell research. What difference does it make if they are going to be thrown out or not. Either way they aren't being used to produce babies. Another thing is why are people permitted to purchase embryo's for furture use when we have so many children waiting for adoption. Isn't that creating embryo's un-necessrily.
Edited by Sinny on 11/19/2008 19:33

Doubting Thomas
Bush was probably hoping that prayer would heal amputees instead... Oh wait, that doesn't work.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

seeker
Sinny wrote:
This is incredible, very very exciting. I hope someday they can use stem cells to give me new ear drums.

Derf what do you mean repeal Bush's decision? I thought he only banned Embryonic Stem Cels that are made specifically for the purpose of stem cell research but not other embryo's that were of no use as far as reproduction, not made in a lab for that specific purpose. I think embryo's have a certain life span but not sure about that. I wondered how he could approve embryo's they would only throw out but not embryo's that were specifically made for stem cell research. What difference does it make if they are going to be thrown out or not. Either way they aren't being used to produce babies. Another thing is why are people permitted to purchase embryo's for furture use when we have so many children waiting for adoption. Isn't that creating embryo's un-necessrily.

Actually he banned all new use of embryonic stem cells, restricting the research with embryonic stem cells to the 60 lines that have already been produced and encouraged use of stem cells from sources other than embryos. Here is the idi...ere...man himself on the subject

Bob of QF
neilmarr wrote:...

Bush, who blocked stem cell research funding in the US for what appears to be misguided religious reasons has a lot to answer for. Wonder if he'll ever call on this science himself.

Neil

Well. He could ask them to grow him a new working brain... <eyeroll>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Hypatia
This is wonderful, incredible news.

I am dismayed that it will take so long before it will become wide spread practice/use. It is a very important stride, but I feel it is one we could very well have made much earlier, perhaps.

derF
Sinny wrote:Derf what do you mean repeal Bush's decision? I thought he only banned Embryonic Stem Cels that are made specifically for the purpose of stem cell research but not other embryo's that were of no use as far as reproduction, not made in a lab for that specific purpose.

Bush did not want stem cells taken from viable embryos as I recall. (the ones that show the most promise) but allowed use of stem cells from embryos that were going to be disposed of. Where is the logic in it? You would be hard pressed to find much logic, at all, in any part of the Bush administration. And I am not yet convinced that we have or will survive his administration.

catman
I didn't think Bush would allow the use of any but adult stem cells (which are less adaptable), not even those from embryos that were to be disposed of. Where is the logic in that?
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
The saddest thing of all, is that Bush, a complete non-scientist, was the one who made the arbitrary decision, just to appease his right-wing fundie power-base.

His callous disregard of anyone loosing possible benefits was just "too bad".

I truly think bush had zero clue WHAT he was actually banning. Like most fundies, his understanding of real science is sketchy at best.

derF
Bob of QF wrote:I truly think bush had zero clue WHAT he was actually banning. Like most fundies, his understanding of real science is sketchy at best.

A brilliant understatement if ever a statement was understated. What a complete and colossal waste of eight years Bushes administration was.
Edited by derF on 11/28/2008 03:07

Doubting Thomas
Bob of QF wrote:
Like most fundies, his understanding of real science is sketchy at best.

Not just fundies, but a lot of mainstream Christians. When I made a comment about being for stem-cell research a while back, my wife asked me, "Isn't that where they suck a baby's brains out?" Apparently she mistook stem cell research for partial-birth abortion. The sad thing is, the anti-abortion Christians out there prefer to blur the lines.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
...The sad thing is, the anti-abortion Christians out there prefer to blur the lines.

Blur? Is that what they're calling it now?

Back in the day, we just called it lying and was done with it. <eyeroll>

One of the favorite tactical lies by the antichoice crowd is to trot out very, very late-term abortion photos as "representative" of all abortions.

Lying sacks of shit, every one of'em.

Facts are, that early term human embryos cannot be told apart from that of a horse, pig, cow, monkey, hell even some fish embryos look similar. Unless you're an expert or a biologist; then with magnifying equipment, an expert can. If it's far enough along.

*bleah*

Sinny
seeker wrote:
Sinny wrote:

Actually he banned all new use of embryonic stem cells, restricting the research with embryonic stem cells to the 60 lines that have already been produced and encouraged use of stem cells from sources other than embryos. Here is the idi...ere...man himself on the subject

Sorry I took so long to get back Seeker. I got side tracked with other posts, my kitties and you know stuff. I completely forgot about the 60 line he stopped at. I wonder how Obama will be with EMC.

As I thought through this issue, I kept returning to two fundamental questions: First, are these frozen embryos human life, and therefore, something precious to be protected? And second, if they're going to be destroyed anyway, shouldn't they be used for a greater good, for research that has the potential to save and improve other lives?

sounds to me like the christians could think of these embryo's as being like soldiers giving their lives to help and protect Americans. funny how thye have no problem risking their own sons and daughters in wars when fighting against those of a different faith but when it comes to saving American lives by giving up embryo's...all of a sudden it's a sin.

An ethicist dismissed that as a callous attempt at rationalization. Make no mistake, he told me, that cluster of cells is the same way you and I, and all the rest of us, started our lives. One goes with a heavy heart if we use these, he said, because we are dealing with the seeds of the next generation.

Oh so these embryo's, paid for by our tax dollars, are more important than the embryo's people pay out of their pockets for:

My administration must decide whether to allow federal funds, your tax dollars, to be used for scientific research on stem cells derived from human embryos. A large number of these embryos already exist. They are the product of a process called in vitro fertilization, which helps so many couples conceive children. When doctors match sperm and egg to create life outside the womb, they usually produce more embryos than are planted in the mother. Once a couple successfully has children, or if they are unsuccessful, the additional embryos remain frozen in laboratories.
Some will not survive during long storage; others are destroyed. A number have been donated to science and used to create privately funded stem cell lines. And a few have been implanted in an adoptive mother and born, and are today healthy children.

As a result of private research, more than 60 genetically diverse stem cell lines already exist. They were created from embryos that have already been destroyed.

Wait a minute...he has nothing to say about the embryo's that were destryed, not used and previously donated and is willing to use them but has a problem with making more. I doubt very much he has a problem with using more than the 60 line...he's just trying to kiss up to the chirstians who obviously have no problem with embryo's being destryoed with in vitro fertilization or sending men & women to war to be killed. Well then I say everyone who is for ESC should donate their sperm/egg to in vitro fertilization and then not use them.

Now I'mno expert hre but wouldn't be better or just helpful to use new embryo's and the regenerated embryo's.

Jump to Forum: