View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » Music Discussions
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
watch out for remakes
JohnH
I noted in another post that I own a lot of 45's. I am a collector of early rock and roll because I love it. It is the music I grew up with.

There is an ugly fact out there. Often, unscrupulous record companies will pass off re-recordings as the original thing. Two years ago I was given a cd collection of 60's rock and roll that was all re-recordings. The names of the artists were correct but the songs were all different. I destroyed the damn thing. Even odd things happen. I bought a cd version of the Shirelles greatest hits, my 30 year old album being a little worn. All the songs were correct except "I Met Him on a Sunday", one of my favorites.

This is a different problem then when a lot of old stuff was digitized. I have a version of "What'd I Say" by Ray Charles that is the original version but was not properly mixed by the person that translated it to cd.

The major problem is that some people want to get around, or ignore, or not be bothered by copyright laws no matter how that effects the product. You cannot pay for or get the copyright, no problem make a new version. Rhino is generally very good. There are collections from europe that are very good. My younger son who is in the business tells me that euopean copyright laws are a bit shorter than american so that they are less likely to try to circumvent them.

The short comment is if you are a music collector watch out. Particularly if you are like me and do not care about what medium it is on but only that you have the correct version. If you know what old record you are looking for, and you only want the original in form you are probably ok. If you really only care about owning the sound be careful.

"Its whats in the groove that counts".

seeker
I agree, you do have to be careful. A lot of cd remastering ends up being done by technicians who really aren't all that concerned with preserving the original as collecting a paycheck.

Bob of QF
If you have a working analog recording, it's not hard to master that into digital form yourself.

All you need is a good working analog playback device (which you presumably have) and a computer with a reasonable sound card.

Software to do the work is easily and cheaply available.

Now, all you need to do is be sure the impedance between your analog stuff matches the input for your PC/Mac sound card.

Typical sound cards are low-level, or the "new style RCA" level of impedance. Older analog equipment is typically high impedance. A matching transformer network is needed for optimum sound. But, a simple resistor cable works well enough for non-purists.

Or, if you have a quiet home, and a quality microphone, and quality speakers from the old equipment? Play it back and record it "live"..... you'd be surprised how many times miss-matched equipment was circumvented using this method....
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I hate it when they "remaster" something and "improve" it. It is eye-opening to compare the original with the remastered version. Other times, it may be a different performance of the same tune by the original group, almost always inferior to the one originally released. That's why the best one was originally released...duh! I want the original unremastered recording.

I never had much luck with that microphone-and-speakers method, Bob. It always came out fairly lousy. But I didn't have great microphones for that sort of use, either.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

cheshiredragon
Bob of QF wrote:
If you have a working analog recording, it's not hard to master that into digital form yourself.

All you need is a good working analog playback device (which you presumably have) and a computer with a reasonable sound card.

Software to do the work is easily and cheaply available.

Now, all you need to do is be sure the impedance between your analog stuff matches the input for your PC/Mac sound card.

Typical sound cards are low-level, or the "new style RCA" level of impedance. Older analog equipment is typically high impedance. A matching transformer network is needed for optimum sound. But, a simple resistor cable works well enough for non-purists.

Or, if you have a quiet home, and a quality microphone, and quality speakers from the old equipment? Play it back and record it "live"..... you'd be surprised how many times miss-matched equipment was circumvented using this method....

i have done this with several OLD tapes, 8-tracks and vinyls. it is not hard to do at all and there is NO software to buy if you go open-source. I'd advise against the MIC though. no matter how quiet a house, you will always get a hum of just a few Db lower than the audio you are recording. not only that but, I find that music sounds rather hollow. Not sure how to explain it.
That's right, I said it...

Bob of QF
cheshiredragon wrote:

i have done this with several OLD tapes, 8-tracks and vinyls. it is not hard to do at all and there is NO software to buy if you go open-source. I'd advise against the MIC though. no matter how quiet a house, you will always get a hum of just a few Db lower than the audio you are recording. not only that but, I find that music sounds rather hollow. Not sure how to explain it.

I guess it depends on how expensive your mic is, right?

<grin>

I had borrowed a $500 mic from the church I used to volunteer for the TV broadcast-- no hum. It worked very well too, once I switched the mic's response to "music" from "voice".

To isolate the two channels, I had placed each of two mics into a rubber-lined tube, with the speakers at one end and the mic inside, facing the speakers.

Worked well enough for my hearing. But, for that, I wasn't going to a computer, I was going over to another recording media and we didn't have the proper matching equipment. Was years ago (obviously-- the church reference. I don't do that anymore. )
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Jump to Forum: