View Thread

Atheists Today » Taking it easy » YouTube
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
g0at
RayvenAlandria
I never paid to join the RRS but I have no idea what the policy was after I left. Most likely you don't have to pay to have a login name, They probably charge to add a "donor" title to your name.

I send monthly funds to Reggie, the Infidel Guy, but I have never sent a donation to the RRS. Wait, I take that back...I did buy Rook hundreds of dollars worth of books when I first joined, but other than that I don't remember sending them anything.

I think people can join the site for free, that way Brian can claim he has more members than what the really have. Also, for those who don't know, the RRS is actually part of a network of sites, if someone joins up at someone else's site and has nothing to do with the RRS, it still inflates the RRS's user stats. (You use the same name and password at all the sites.)

cheshiredragon
RayvenAlandria wrote:
IMO, the only kind of person the RRS retains as a *fan* is someone with obvious social and emotional problems. Stable people take a closer look and high-tail it out of there.

If this were true then I'd of been a member for years. I still have never even been to the site. Drama and Atheists don't mix. Once all this stuff started on a thread here I had no desire to go there. Drama is the one thing that can bring the biggest of sites to a slow death.
That's right, I said it...

IGExpandingPanda
RayvenAlandria wrote:
I never paid to join the RRS but I have no idea what the policy was after I left. Most likely you don't have to pay to have a login name, They probably charge to add a "donor" title to your name.

I think people can join the site for free, that way Brian can claim he has more members than what the really have. Also, for those who don't know, the RRS is actually part of a network of sites, if someone joins up at someone else's site and has nothing to do with the RRS, it still inflates the RRS's user stats. (You use the same name and password at all the sites.)

Well, network of sites is fancy way of saying they are hosting under Drupal

Free Thinking Teens - This is just a subforum of the main site. It hasn't been updated since December 2006. There was a message 2 weeks ago, before that 30 weeks ago. The problem is the Teens were older teens and are no longer teens.

Atheist Volunteers - They had a blooddrive during prayer day in 2007. They discontinued the program but continue to host the page. Sad as this was a good idea, but no bugger is doing anything with it.

Prayers To Jake - They want it under it's own domain, great. It's just people asking Jake for shit. Hardly content.

Ask The Atheist - This is Jake again. Last updated June 2007. It has a few messages, but not many.

Margaret Downey - This looks more like her private blog than anything else. You click on forums and none are defined. Unlike the other sites, there was an update in Sepember. Oddly enough it makes reference to the FSGP moving to the RRS [i]soon[/i ]back in March. This never happened.

RationalTube - It's just a subdomain, but is it's own site in it's own way. It's actually not a bad idea.

MIA- Greydonsquare.com - Greydon let his domain lapse so he no longer has the domain name. Even then, he never used the RRS site.

Out of these, only 2 sites are not managed by the RRS directly, and that's Prayers to Jake and Ask The Atheist. Atheist Volunteers isn't managed by anyone. I forget the details on who came up with the idea, but during the blood drive, they stayed at home. They didn't cover the event, they didn't give blood.

M. Downey is managed by the DowneyRottweilers, though she does add a blog entry from time to time.

There were some other people who were semi interested and having the RRS host their shit, but really. It's a misconfigured webserver with a broken install of Drupal on it. There are whole books on Drupal and other content management software, but they haven't read any of them.

But 6 sites, 33% of them Jake. 33% just extentions of the RRS site. 17% Margret Downey. and 17% someone else's idea, which was a good one, but not bothering to repeat it.

cheshiredragon
*edit - pointless
Edited by cheshiredragon on 12/04/2008 22:50

IGExpandingPanda
cheshiredragon wrote:
*edit - pointless

It is pretty pointless.

Firstly, they call basically 5-6 sites a "network". Well, technically you "could" call it a network. I'll give them Jake and Margret even if they generate their own content with Margret, but Margret does toss up the odd blog entry. Their "network" of sites is basically the RRS core, and two other people, that's IT.

Rayven says that one can access one of their network sites and boost their "membership". This presumes that web account = membership which could be true.

#1,338,951 Margaret Downey - You might want to respond to Margret, or the RRS on this site.
#2,636,389 Ask the Atheist - Oh, it's more than Jake, It's Jake, Sapient, and Reggie.
#4,669,021 Prayers To Jake - obviously a Joe Pesci joke, but not something to take seriously.
#9,425,055 - Atheist Volunteers - Can't create an account here
#0,000,000 Free Thinking Teens - This is just the teen section of the RRS, which has been dead since the last "teen" turned 20. For the longest time the domain freethinkingteens.com was redirected to a bogus page, they added an extra slash in the URL. I don't think they bothered to fix it for 6 months. But as it redirects to an RRS subdomain, it has no rank.

In so many words, the only site really worth a shit is rationalresponders.com, which does have an alexa rank presently at 46,196. Margaret Downey is cool, but you might as well hit the FSGP's yahoo group.

The FSGP "was" going to host their site on Rational Responders.com, but someone bought it to their attention it was their plan to embezzle money though 501(3)c organizations. Opps

cheshiredragon
My bad. I was not saying your post or what was in your post was pointless. I had written a post then thought it was pointless to say anything so I came back a few min later and deleted it.

catman
It's pointless to say anything pointless.

Which reminds of the time when electronic ignition systems were first coming into use on motorcycles. They were referred to as "pointless" ignition. That always struck me as funny, since they certainly had a point; without them, the bike wouldn't run.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Cynic
I dunno -- I've got a '69 H1 with a pointless ignition and it proved to be so annoying that Kawasaki put the points back in it after a while. Smile

catman
I suppose they hadn't made the electronic ignition reliable yet. I remember the H1. It was a real hotrod for its time. Is it in running condition? Very collectible! My bike is 15 years newer than that, and it's 24 years old ('84 Honda V65 Sabre).
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

jayon
catman wrote:
I suppose they hadn't made the electronic ignition reliable yet. I remember the H1. It was a real hotrod for its time. Is it in running condition? Very collectible! My bike is 15 years newer than that, and it's 24 years old ('84 Honda V65 Sabre).

I don't see your point...

Cynic
It's actually in very good shape considering it hasn't actually been run since around the year I was born. Smile I'm the third owner. The imperfections it has, besides some obvious design flaw, are what the first owner did to it. Apparently it wasn't dangerous for him, so he removed the air filter system (admittedly a design flaw in itself) and capped the intakes with bell housing and woefully ineffective filter lining. Naturally it promptly seized. So it sat for a bit and then my uncle bought it and had the cylinders bored and then quickly decided it was too dangerous for him and it sat. And sat. And sat. Eventually I bought it, took it appart, and re-shot the frame, then lost interest as I read more and more about it and decided I might be afraid of it myself. Smile

Over the summer I put it back together and now it sits in my basement for safekeeping as I decide how to best sell it. Still hasn't been started, mostly because I'm worried about destroying it in the attempt. I figure a better-qualified professional should take back apart and do it. No idea if that old capacitor discharge system even works anymore. I know the gas tank itself is probably pretty expensive, given the year, color, and shape.

But yeah, not riding that thing. The bike I actually ride from time to time is a far more tame '83 KZH440Z. Until I break down the carbs and see what's up with them, though, it's not much fun. Plus that model, even in the best of brand-spanking-newness had a design flaw that makes initial warm-up a bitch, where it up-idles itself to infinity if you're not out there to babysit it.

Speaking of babies, they pretty much ended my riding for the most part anyway. Sad

catman
That's too bad. I wouldn't be afraid of riding the H1, you would just have to be gentle until you get used to it. I'm surprised that it actually seized because of the air filtration; it must have been awful. Did it overheat or what, I wonder. Of course, if it hasn't been run for a very long time, it would need some restoration, but it would be worth it. Bikes don't like not being run.

I guess the 440 does that because it was jetted very lean to comply with the EPA. That should be easy enough to remedy. They were very popular bikes.
Edited by catman on 12/07/2008 02:31

jayon
aw, nothing on... the I don't see... nothing? well, pooh!

Hypatia
Point No Point

:wink:

IGExpandingPanda
Since it was remotely on topic, the way the topic shifted, well, not the pointless ignition

http://www.ration...orum/15673

http://wotmwatchd... was one of the sites that was part of the RRS "network". Sapient finally noticed it was gone October 18, 2008, or rather the domain had expired and was picked up by domain parking company. This was on 22-Sep-2008.

I looked at it once, and it seemed pretty worthless. It wouldn't have been so bad if they actually used it for something, actually kept tabs on the WoTM crowd. They couldn't be bothered.

*edited to delete double post
Edited by catman on 12/16/2008 16:48

catman
IGEP: I edited it to make the links clickable. Yeah, it was quite worthless!

Jump to Forum: