View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Secular Activism
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Atheist billboard to be removed
Skeeve
So, free speech isn't real I guess. How weak is your religion when you get defensive about an innocuous billboard promoting atheism?

http://www.pe.com...263f8.html
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

cheshiredragon
FTA(From The Article):"I understand people have freedom of speech, but this is taking it too far," she said. "It's very jarring."

This is rigoddamndiculous. Having a billboard saying, "OBAMA is a nigger and must be hanged!" or "Jews are bad." or even some Neo-Nazi slogans is going too far.
What about all those billboards that say, "Having marriage problems? I'm listening. -God" OR "Jesus Saves" in huge WHITE letters on a BLACK background? I think we should complain about those and see what happens...
That's right, I said it...

catman
I don't even think it necessarily promotes atheism. It simply promotes the idea of thinking. Which, of course, is something the Baptist church down the street is dead set against.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
Sad.

Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

derF
Fucking religious assholes. It's ok to post their opinions on whatever type media they decide to but opposition to their stance must be immediately squelched.
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Hypatia
This is such a load of horse shit. I am so fed up with the religious thinking theirs are the only voices that are allowed to be heard/read.

Please join me in expressing our thoughts about this censorship to General Outdoor Advertising. Their phone number:

(909) 983-4414

or if you'd rather write:

http://www.genera...ontact.htm

They say they've received complaints about it being up, let them have complaints that its been taken down, and that their willingness to support the voices of only certain citizens is not acceptable to all.

neilmarr
One of the most hard-hitting images I've seen over the past few years was on the Richard Dawkins website: it used the same wording, "Imagine No Religion." In the background stood the twin towers of the World Trade Centre. Neil

willie
It does strike me as odd that some who profess to have knowledge of absolute truth can be so defensive when faced with alternate views. I would imagine a god capable of creating a universe would not be in the least bit bothered by a billboard. So why his minions.

catman
You have a more free-form imagination than his minions do,who consider alternative views as a one-way ticket to Hell.
Edited by catman on 11/24/2008 16:12
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
"I understand people have freedom of speech, but this is taking it too far," she said. "It's very jarring."

It is very frightening that any American can have such an attitude. This is why we are losing rights little by little every day. The Christians think that it's completely OK to put religious messages on public or government property, but an atheist message on a billboard needs to be censored. These are the people who think the First Amendment protects freedom of religion as long as it's Christianity.

And, of course, they'll see themselves as the persecuted ones here, since the evil atheists dared to try to put up a billboard promoting atheism.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

General-Pryce
This is hypocrisy in the extreme. Just look at the fuss they made when the ten commandments were removed from a court house in (Forgot the town). It seems okay to promote, no force, Christianity down your throats day in day out qith constant infomercials, banners, TV channels, door to door callers, and yet one billboard gets complained about.

I had heard about this removal before, but can't understand why in a country with "Free Speech" this has been censored when it, as Cat said, is not directly an Atheist message, just one concerning thought.

Doubting Thomas
It's just like the furor caused by another billboard that we were discussing in another thread, that billboard saying nothing more than "Atheist? You're not alone." The xtians were going apeshit over that one, too. It seems they just can't stand to even be reminded of the fact that there are some of us out here who don't share their delusion. And, of course, they were talking about how "offensive" the billboard was, even though it was not directed toward Christians or any religious group. It was simply a friendly message telling atheists that they don't have to feel alone.

Cynic
I was about to ask what they might actually find acceptable, but I guess if they're going ape over "Atheist? You're not alone.", then the answer must be "nothing". Unfortunately, billboard companies are subject to market forces, and it's currently mob rule. Well, it's always mob rule, but the mob's not on our side.

Sinny
Yeah I was about the bring that up myself about the calls they received. I'm not so sure it was just the companies that pay for billboard service but more like average christians who don't pay a dime for billboard ads. I don't see how the billboard companies could loose money if it's just the average xtian citizen who's calling in about them. I'd like to see a list of some sort with the names of the compaies who called in complaining. That way I could do my own protest of the products those companies, who complained, or go on a few atheist websites with the list of company names so more could stage a sort of protest of our own.

catman
Some Xians would make it a point to find out the name of the billboard company, protest and refuse to do business with them.

Doubting Thomas
Look at how bent out of shape they get when a retail store uses the word "Holiday" instead of "Christmas." There are a lot of fundies out there boycotting stores who do this, but I hope they get a lot more revenue from non-Christians shopping there because of the all-inclusive phrase than they'd lose from Christians protesting the lack of Christian-specific wording.

Jump to Forum: