View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Vatican Forgives John lennon
catman
I just saw a Reuters story, relating that the Vatican has "forgiven" John lennon for his 1966 remark that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. The Vatican newspaper further stated that it was the boast of a young man who was unused to such fame.

I remember all the furor the remark caused, causing some radio stations to stop playing Beatles records, and demonstrations by select groups of people who pubicly burned piles of records at night. It reminded me of the newsreels I have seen of the book burnings in Nazi Germany.

Well, at least it didn't take the Vatican 400 years this time, as it did with Galileo.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

derF
catman wrote:
I just saw a Reuters story, relating that the Vatican has "forgiven" John lennon for his 1966 remark that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. The Vatican newspaper further stated that it was the boast of a young man who was unused to such fame.

I remember all the furor the remark caused, causing some radio stations to stop playing Beatles records, and demonstrations by select groups of people who pubicly burned piles of records at night. It reminded me of the newsreels I have seen of the book burnings in Nazi Germany.

Well, at least it didn't take the Vatican 400 years this time, as it did with Galileo.

Things move slowly in the castle. Is this a little political maneuvering on the part of the Vatican to improve their image?
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Bob of QF
Sadly, this is an apt demonstration of Hubris.

As if Lennon had said anything that NEEDED to be forgiven for!

The Beetles WERE more popular than Jesus for a time. So?

Why does Lennon need "forgiving" for stating the obvious?

Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

RayvenAlandria
The Catlickers are just trying to look more *loving* and accepting.

I doubt it'll work. They are in a massive decline and are losing tons of money. They have become desperate.

Skeeve
How did I miss this post when I put up today's news article? Odd.
"The world is my country, and do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

catman
I don't know, but I'm mortally offended and must insist that you remove the news article.Wink Seriously, I don't mind. The more people that know about the Vatican's laughable pronouncements, the better.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
Forgives?!?! what.

What was said to or about this pope or any other pope, nothing. the remark was made about being more popular than the jesus not he freakin pope or the church for that matter. Who gives a rats ass if the pope forgeves, what he has no business claiming to forgive, when it wasn't directly related to him. So the kids thought about, loved, enjoyed the Beatles more than the jesus who they have never ever seen big deal.

Rayven I agree and have said that before myself. They are desperte. The child molestation cases becoming public really put the screws in their finances. Add that to the fact that confession is all but non existent these days. There has been a huge decrease of participation in confessions which means less donations when going. I once, by accident, over heard two priests laughing about the confessions they heard. I was in the church and dropped my glove and bent down to get it...meanwhile the two priests came in and were having a discussion about the confessions and didn't, obviously, know I was there to over hear them. Funny what you can hear when no one knows you're there and you keep your mouth shut. I'd need my hearing aid for that today and damn glad I didn't need one then being so close to them. They weren't real loud or spoke that quitely either. You should have seen their faces when I got up and walked out....priceless and forever etched in my brain. I could have stayed but my friend was outside and I wanted to get to her before she came in and interrupted them while I was still on the floor behind the pews. I would have been so embarrased if she came in and then they saw me under there LOL. I figured it would be better if they saw me leaving and assumed I didn't hear anything. When I told my g/f she was so upset and understood why I didn't want her to go in after I came out.
Edited by Sinny on 11/23/2008 21:33

Bob of QF
Sinny: evil is as evil does.

If you constantly hear the worst about people, sooner or later you come to regard them as somewhat less than people.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

willie
Bob of QF wrote:
As if Lennon had said anything that NEEDED to be forgiven for!

The Beetles WERE more popular than Jesus for a time. So?

Why does Lennon need "forgiving" for stating the obvious?

What about Jefferson Airplane, their guitar section WERE gods.

Skeeve
I find these two reports interesting. The Reuters story uses the word forgiven, yet the one I used up top doesn't.

Rueters story used by catman

And the story I used for the News on the front page

The ANSA article is from an Italian based newspaper and only reprinted what the Vatican paper published.

It would seem this "forgive" theme isn't really what was printed. I would guess they assume this means they are forgiven.

Read the first paragraphs from both papers:

(ANSA) - Vatican City, November 21 - The Vatican on Friday praised the Beatles in a newspaper article that appeared to bury the hatchet on John Lennnon's infamous 'more famous than Jesus' remark.

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican's newspaper has finally forgiven John Lennon for declaring that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, calling the remark a "boast" by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

Notice the underlined texts in both articles.

Funny how things are reported and reacted to.

catman
Yes, I can see that distinction, although at the Vatican "bury the hatchet" may well equate to "forgive", unless they are speaking of burying the hatchet in the back of someone's head.

Skeeve
Yeah, I just found it strange how this story was reported by different news organizations. I found the Italian article first and have since seen a few different stories about it. All the others use "forgive" or "forgiven" in theirs.

IMO, if the word wasn't used by the Vatican or the Vatican paper, it shouldn't have been insinuated. Nit picky, I know.

Like others have said, by speaking the truth about their popularity, Lennon has nothing to be forgiven for anyway.

seeker
Amazingly enough it only took forty years for the Church to get over this. They are definately taking the word 'anal' to new heights.

Hypatia
It's taken the Vatican all these decades to acknowledge that Lennon didn't give a flying fig what they thought, but that at that point in time he may have had to give a small portion of a flying fig because of record sales.

But they're certainly not going to publicly acknowledge it that way. But they know we know they know we know. Know what I mean?

catman
Yes, I know what you mean. [Collapses on floor from migraine]

I don't recall that the record sales of The Beatles went down because of the silly ruckus. The Beatles Yesterday and Today and Revolver were out about that time, and they both sold like hotcakes.

Doubting Thomas
Sinny wrote:
I once, by accident, over heard two priests laughing about the confessions they heard. I was in the church and dropped my glove and bent down to get it...meanwhile the two priests came in and were having a discussion about the confessions and didn't, obviously, know I was there to over hear them.

This is, of course, a big no-no since what is told in the confessional is supposed to remain confidential. I don't think they're supposed to even talk about them among each other. But, of course, I'm sure they do "talk shop" often, especially if they get a particularly juicy or funny confession. It's human nature, and would be hard to keep it to themselves.

I'm glad to see the Catholic church on a decline. Let's face it, they've had a shortage of priests for 20 years now. Attendance is down among younger people, if you've ever been to a Catholic church recently, you don't notice many people in their 20's attending. It's mainly older folk, and when they all die off hopefully the younger people won't replace them. But I do think the scandals and the way they were handled (sweeping them under the rug) has had a huge effect on declining numbers.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
I have heard recently that there is a shortage of nuns locally. I suppose that having Jesus for a lover isn't sufficient. Pity.

Doubting Thomas
Shortage of nuns? Is that really possible? I mean, besides hitting catholic school kids' knuckles with rulers, what do the nuns really do? I say this in all seriousness despite having a late aunt who was a nun, and my mother-in-law's aunt is also a nun.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

Jump to Forum: