Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » Power and Control » Why atheism?
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Why atheism?
catman
Photon: I think "agnostic theism" is the only kind there is too, but then I'm an agnostic atheist. Most theists claim to be gnostic, but I don't think there is any way they can be, although they think they are. Since no one can really know, there are no true gnostics, only those who consider themselves to be.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
***I can imagine an interdimensional being***

If you were to add to this thought the notion that the interdimensional being in question represents perfection, Photon, you then have the terribly flawed ontological arguemtnt for god. If you can imagine such a being as perfect, perfection requires existence; ergo god exists.

Of course, perfection in no way requires existence. And imagination is not bounded by reason.

Some human concepts and constructs are beyond reasonable doubt. Some others are beneath reasonable doubt.

I strongly feel that ideas of a traditional -- even a deist -- god belong to the latter group.

Having said that, my own active reactions as an atheist are against 'religion' and not 'belief'. A person's belief only becomes my business when it interferes with the even terror [Tom Sharpe] of life.

Hoots. Neil

Photon
I also agree that acknowledging "possibility" for a claim in no way lends credence to its probability of being true. Independent objective evidence is needed for that, and that is where theistic claims fall; not necessarily in the impossibility of what they claim, but rather in the complete lack of supporting evidence for the hypothesis.

And to people that purposefully conflate the two (often the same people who use the phrase "but it's just a theory"), we shouldn't let them get away with it. Silence looks like tacit approval to a lot of theists. Being quiet and obedient is a virtue, remember.
Edited by Photon on 09/12/2008 13:47

catman
That is exactly it, IMO. The impossibility of being able to prove that there is no god makes that a blind alley, but the paucity of concrete evidence for the claims which theists make is the greatest weakness.

It takes a lot of courage to come completely 'out of the closet' in the midst of Christian Texas. The local Unitarian-Universalist church is heavily populated with atheists. That's about as far as most can go.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
catman wrote:
That is exactly it, IMO. The impossibility of being able to prove that there is no god makes that a blind alley, but the paucity of concrete evidence for the claims which theists make is the greatest weakness.

Hear! Hear!

Of late, I have adopted a firmer stance with regards to atheism.

For years, I existed in a fairly moderate theistic community, and they (for the most part) respect my agnosticism.

But, the past 3 years on Topix has pushed me to start decrying against the various god-incarnations put forth by fundiots.

Nowadays, I say, "I am atheist with regards to the god you describe".

And I do think it quite easy to prove the god of the bible is myth...using the bible, obviously.

Think about it: the god described by the bible is quite limited, and has specific aspects which may easily be tested for.

If the tests prove negative, the only logical conclusion(s) are one of the following:

1) the bible was wrong (so, what else did it get wrong, then?)
2) god does not, in fact exist
3) god exists, but deliberately skews the test to make it seem god does not exist (what does that say about such a being? Nothing good...)

(there may be more, but these cover all possible contingencies as far as I can tell)

Fundies hate it when you use their own bible against them....I usually get called "a tool of Satin" at that point (fundies can't spell very well, either....) Grin

If I'm feeling particularly frisky, I retort with, "what is wrong with shiny fabric, then...? " ;sign10;

My latest retort to fundiots is this:

Your god seems to be suffering from a severe case of non-existence.
Edited by Bob of QF on 09/12/2008 18:07
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
Yep. Not to mention the lack of independent historical evidence for many of the momentous events described within the Bible.Wink

Nothing is wrong with shiny fabric, especially when tightly fitted around...never mind.;oops;

derF
After the tens of thousands of religions that have come on gone over the centuries I am in no mood to suddenly decide that any of the current ones have anything going for them that would make me think they are the one! They can't all be RIGHT, but they CAN all be WRONG!!
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Jump to Forum: