View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Rant Room
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Why?
derF
Why is it every time I misspell a word on a post that it actually spells another real word and therefore is never caught by spell check? Would someone please explain this to me, please?
I'll drink to that. Or anything else for that matter.

Cynic
Because you yourself catch all the others.

derF
Good point, Cynic. And arguably correct. (oh damn, there's that term again) But couldn't you say that spell check catches all the others, too?

catman
If it actually spells another word, it isn't caught by a spell checker, since the checker doesn't know what you are trying to say and doesn't judge on content. It only catches 'words' that aren't words.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

neilmarr
Here's a hint as to why, Derf. I may have posted this on the old Atheists.com board, so apologies if you've seen the poem before. It's something I send to all my authors to warn them that spell-checkers are to be treated as prompts and not reliable correction devices. Cheers. Neil

The Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer;
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye can knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a whirred
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong or write.
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid,
It nose bee fore two long;
An dye can put the era rite.
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw.
I'm sheer your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh;
My chequer tolled me sew.

Sugarfree
lol Neil thats really funny Grin I dont use a spell checker.. You guys can probably tell.

Hypatia
Spell checkers aren't worth a shirt.

Sometimes they are. And they're free SF.

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/4lqqtqv.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

derF
When I was a young soldier I spent an evening with a couple of witches. They really screwed me up. Wish I had had a SPELL check then.
Edited by derF on 11/29/2008 02:19

catman
[groan!] That's funny, derF! Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
log derF.

Jump to Forum: