Forum Quick View Panel

View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Atheist display thrown into a ditch
RayvenAlandria
An Atheist display was stolen and thrown into a ditch. How loving.

http://www.cnn.co...index.html

cheshiredragon
The article wrote:
"It's probably about 50 pounds, " Gaylor said. "My brother-in-law was huffing and puffing carrying it up the stairs. It's definitely not something you can stick under your arm or conceal."

The Washington State Patrol, which is handling the incident, could not be reached for comment.

I declare this was an inside job. Its size, the building, the location. It was too easy to be put up and taken down that fast without anyone seeing it. Isn't it also too convenient that the police investigating can not be reached?

*edit
It seems so strange that we are begging and pleading to get Christians out of our lives yet we we attempt to get into their lives they backlash like savages.
Back in the OT, God took care of shit he didn't like. I don't remember where but, I am thinking Leviticus since it is the most ridiculous of the OT books, that some people were building a tower that would outshine God. God sayeth, "Nay nay!" and the tower was destroyed at his hand. Now with the NT, God does not intervene and we are now saved by grace. Why are Christians trying to carry out God's physical work rather then leaving us the fsck alone to burn in hell like we so deserve?!

I think I understand Christianity better than the Christians themselves.
Edited by cheshiredragon on 12/05/2008 20:07
That's right, I said it...

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
An Atheist display was stolen and thrown into a ditch. How loving.

http://www.cnn.co...index.html

What surprised me, was the entire tone of the article! (and thanks, Rayven for the interesting bit).

What I did not see was a patronizing tone so frequent with news bits about atheists or anything non-christian.

I even liked how it ended with the freethinkers getting in the last word. Pretty unusual for CNN, in my experience. The writer must be freelance. <eyeroll>
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
Yeah, the Christians appears asinine in the article. Or maybe it's just my viewpoint. There is nothing democratic about religion, so in a supposed democratic society where tolerance and diversity are alleged to be virtues, it seems the odd man out to me.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sugarfree
LOL - "... a note would be attached reading 'Thou Shalt Not Steal'." :lol: funny atheists.
Edited by Sugarfree on 12/06/2008 09:38

Hypatia
As soon as I heard the FFRF was going to be placing the display I figured it would only be a matter of time before it was vandalized or stolen.

It just drives home what I've said before about the religious insisting their voices be the only ones allowed to be heard (especially the christians. When non-believers speak out they're 'scrooges' at the very least, but most importantly we're seen as attempting to somehow silence the free speech of others.

What?! Can't everyone exercise free speech? Can't everyone have displays? When have the christian's displays been vandalized at these 'holiday' events?

I'm very happy this display is there next to the nativity scene and along with any others that may be placed, this year and hopefully every year. It is 'diversity' in action, and not just lip service.

*Edit - I think the display is also exceptionally well worded. IMO it's right on, shoots from the hip and reminds people what the real meaning of this 'season' is. That they don't want to acknowledge and accept that is yet another reason why there is an atheist display!
Edited by Hypatia on 12/07/2008 02:49

Bob of QF
Hypatia wrote:
As soon as I heard the FFRF was going to be placing the display I figured it would only be a matter of time before it was vandalized or stolen.

It just drives home what I've said before about the religious insisting their voices be the only ones allowed to be heard (especially the christians. When non-believers speak out they're 'scrooges' at the very least, but most importantly we're seen as attempting to somehow silence the free speech of others.

What?! Can't everyone exercise free speech? Can't everyone have displays? When have the christian's displays been vandalized at these 'holiday' events?

I'm very happy this display is there next to the nativity scene and along with any others that may be placed, this year and hopefully every year. It is 'diversity' in action, and not just lip service.

*Edit - I think the display is also exceptionally well worded. IMO it's right on, shoots from the hip and reminds people what the real meaning of this 'season' is. That they don't want to acknowledge and accept that is yet another reason why there is an atheist display!

I'm reminded of an old quote from Ford (yes, the guy who gave the US the model T car).

"You can have a model T in your favorite color, so long as that color is black."

You have a right to 'free speech' so long as that speech does not conflict with the Party Line.

Anyone strongly reminded of the old U.S.S.R? Or modern day China?
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Doubting Thomas
I've often said that to Christians, freedom of religion means freedom of Christianity. You have the freedom to practice any religion you want as long as it's Christianity.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 12/08/2008 12:00
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
It seems to work out that way.

Bob: The quote of Henry Ford is quite appropriate. You can have any religion you want as long as it's Christianity!Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Jump to Forum: