View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » Funny Zone
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Indian Winter
Doubting Thomas
IT WAS ALREADY LATE FALL AND THE INDIANS ON A REMOTE
RESERVATION IN SOUTH DAKOTA ASKED THEIR NEW CHIEF IF THE
COMING WINTER WAS GOING TO BE COLD OR MILD.

SINCE HE WAS A CHIEF IN A MODERN SOCIETY HE HAD NEVER
BEEN TAUGHT THE OLD SECRETS. WHEN HE LOOKED AT THE SKY HE
COULDN'T TELL WHAT THE WINTER WAS GOING TO BE LIKE.

NEVERTHELESS, TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE, HE TOLD HIS
TRIBE THAT THE WINTER WAS INDEED GOING TO BE COLD AND THAT
THE MEMBERS OF THE VILLAGE SHOULD COLLECT FIREWOOD TO BE
PREPARED.

BUT BEING A PRACTICAL LEADER, AFTER SEVERAL DAYS HE
GOT AN IDEA. HE WENT TO THE PHONE BOOTH, CALLED THE NATIONAL
WEATHER SERVICE AND ASKED, "IS THE COMING WINTER GOING
TO BE COLD?"

"IT LOOKS LIKE THIS WINTER IS GOING TO BE QUITE COLD,"
THE METEOROLOGIST AT THE WEATHER SERVICE RESPONDED.

SO THE CHIEF WENT BACK TO HIS PEOPLE AND TOLD THEM TO
COLLECT EVEN MORE FIREWOOD IN ORDER TO BE PREPARED.

A WEEK LATER HE CALLED THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
AGAIN. "DOES IT STILL LOOK LIKE IT IS GOING TO BE A VERY COLD
WINTER?"

"YES," THE MAN AT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AGAIN REPLIED,
"IT'S GOING TO BE A VERY COLD WINTER."

THE CHIEF AGAIN WENT BACK TO HIS PEOPLE AND ORDERED
THEM TO COLLECT EVERY SCRAP OF FIREWOOD THEY COULD FIND.

TWO WEEKS LATER THE CHIEF CALLED THE NATIONAL WEATHER
SERVICE AGAIN. "ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT THE WINTER
IS GOING TO BE VERY COLD?"

"ABSOL UTELY," THE MAN REPLIED. "IT'S LOOKING MORE AND MORE
LIKE IT IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE COLDEST WINTERS WE'VE EVER SEEN."

"HOW CAN YOU BE SO SURE?" THE CHIEF ASKED.

THE WEATHERMAN REPLIED, "THE INDIANS ARE COLLECTING FIREWOOD LIKE CRAZY."
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

jayon
First, don't paste or write stuff that's in all caps. Do it only for short term shouting, because it's just plain hard to read after a few lines. My eyes are killing me now, so thanks. Also, I would have said Native Americans as they aren't from India. Well, except for the weatherman's reply. Other than that, it was funny.

Nails3Jesus0
Your joke was just fine with me DT. No complaints here.

catman
DT: Yeah, no complaints here either. I liked it!:lol:
Edited by catman on 12/06/2008 15:43
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

jayon
YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO COMPLAIN. IT JUST MAKES ME LOOK BAD, OTHERWISE... ;p

Bob of QF
Excellent bit of circular-reasoning humor.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
What fun would life be without something to complain about? That is to say, WHAT FUN WOULD LIFE BE WITHOUT SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT?

That felt so rude!Grin
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
OY! FUNNY JOKE.

BUT NOW MY head hurts. Oww.

Doubting Thomas
The only reason I posted it in all caps is because I cut & pasted it from email & didn't want to type the whole thing out again.

And as far as Native Amercians vs. Indians, we all know who it was talking about, and I am also a native American since I was born here.

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
The only reason I posted it in all caps is because I cut & pasted it from email & didn't want to type the whole thing out again.

And as far as Native Amercians vs. Indians, we all know who it was talking about, and I am also a native American since I was born here.

I'm with you on that one: retyping would've been a chore.

But, whenever faced with such a task, I ask: is there an easier way? (the little-boy-who-takes-his-toys-apart speaking)

If you've a copy of Word (or other word processor) they usually have a "convert caps" function.

Copy & paste into a blank doc, run the function, copy & paste into here...

In truth, with jokes, I don't mind the "all caps", if the joke is funny.

Yours was funny.

Grin
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

jayon
Doubting Thomas wrote:

I know I was just pointing out some stuff. The all caps thing does give me a headache though. I did think it was funny though.

Doubting Thomas
Frankly, though, I've never really understood why some people think they have to type things in all caps or some people won't understand it... perhaps they think some of their target audience aren't smart enough to recognize lower-case letters...

Sinny
Ha ha ha ha ha that was funny DT :lol::lol::lol::lol:

BTW some people just prefer caps for different reasons. I much prefer small caps sometimes, depending on what I'm writing, to make the letter, joke or whatever appear more stylish. Then again some people can't stand small print like this site is for me since my puter got the virus. The text is so much smaller I can't hardly stand it and sometime consider using caps but I don't b/c well It's kind of like yelling. But all in all I prefer to use caps only for short writings in reply's so it'doesn't get mixed in too well with the rest of the messages.

jayon
Sinny wrote:
Ha ha ha ha ha that was funny DT :lol::lol::lol::lol:

BTW some people just prefer caps for different reasons. I much prefer small caps sometimes, depending on what I'm writing, to make the letter, joke or whatever appear more stylish. Then again some people can't stand small print like this site is for me since my puter got the virus. The text is so much smaller I can't hardly stand it and sometime consider using caps but I don't b/c well It's kind of like yelling. But all in all I prefer to use caps only for short writings in reply's so it'doesn't get mixed in too well with the rest of the messages.

Increase the text size if you can't read the writing. You can do that by going up to "view" in the menu bar (crap, I'm stuck on an old pc with an old IE so work with me) and "text size" and choose a larger size. Also, you might try holding control and scrolling up and down which doesn't work on an old version of IE, but I think might in the newer ones and does work in firefox. CONTROL and SCROLL. That is a fast way to do it. Problem with the old IE, is that the size will never change if it's a set size (ie 12pt instead of "large"Wink, but with Firefox as far as I can remember it will change regardless of the CSS. Try it now: CNTL and SCROLL...

Good gracious, how does anyone ever learn from me? Do I sound annoying to anyone else?

Jump to Forum: