View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
long day...
jayon
Ok, Rayven, I'll make a thread... I didn't really post last time because the blockers they have on the computer I was using didn't let me view the threads, and I didn't have the want to hack it at the time. First, let me tell you my situation. I'm a homeless vet staying at a place called the GI Forum right now. I'm really trying to get everything back together again, but am going too slow. My wife and I splitting really affected (and still affects) me. I'm working on it though. Ok with that out of the way. I know you probably want to just hear the CPR story, but bear with me.

I awoke knowing that I had to work in the kitchen as part of the deal to stay here. I was sleeping late (one of the few homeless programs that I've been in that you can do that) because I hadn't slept in a few days. I woke up for lunch and started working on my computer. I can't remember which site I was working on, but I do remember that I fixed a few things, but lost motivation which led me to just listening to music.

Then I had to go to the kitchen. The guard kept making these comments like I had never been in the kitchen before, and I had to confront him on that, because I'm there more than anybody. Just because he doesn't see me, doesn't mean shit. There was a meetup at seven that I wanted to go to, but couldn't leave until I was done. I'm not like other people to leave the place a mess.

I finally got to the bus stop at 7:25pm, and thought I missed the bus and was going to have to wait until 7:55. I started talking to anybody walking up, because I was bored to hell and didn't want to sit there. The bus ended up being late at 7:40, so I made it to the place about 7:55 or so. There was still quite a few people there, so I ordered myself a Guiness and was looking for a seat. Then I hear a glass spill and at first don't realize that it's mine because the glass looked like ice to me. I didn't have ice in my glass. The guy that knocked it over bought me another, and we ended up talking until he left. That was the only drink I had (since I'm not supposed to at the place I'm at, but I allow myself about one a month) and was drinking coffee until I left.

I made it back and found out that I had another duty (we have three weekly and two monthly, and this was my monthly) that I had to do that day. It was about ten at the time and I was moping, sweeping up, and washing towels as part of the duty. I was about to start mopping up the laundry rooms when I heard security come by saying something about an emergency. I didn't think anything of it, since they sometimes blow things out of proportions (or it just doesn't pertain to me). I went into the laundry room and found one guy monitoring another guy lying back in his chair shaking. I thought he was spasming so I started removing things from the room. I found out pretty quick he wasn't spasming, but rather was having some kind of attack and couldn't breathe properly. We got him to the ground, because he was going to fall out of the chair anyway. Shortly after, he stopped breathing. His heart was still going, but he just straight stopped. Oh, and he was incoherent also. He had no idea what was going on around him.

Well, we got his head tilted back and I took out my comb to hold his tongue back (I didn't have anything else and didn't want to use my finger since he kept trying to bite down) to open the airway and told someone to get a spoon from the kitchen. He still wasn't breathing, so I gave him two blows and he started up on his own again. Plus we finally got the spoon and that worked much better than the comb. We then found out that his teeth were false and took them out. He was still breathing very badly, but at least he was breathing. We sat there looking down his throat until the medics arrived. Right when they were arriving, he started getting a darker color (I'm colorblind so don't ask me what color, but I think someone said purple). The medics had better equipment, but he was already in pretty bad shape.

Later while me and the guy that was trying to help were talking, I learned that he had been having this problem for a little while and had been to the hospital over three times in the last two weeks. Apparently he had pneumonia and something else and on top of that continued to smoke. Plus, they said he wasn't taking the medication that he was supposed to. Granted, I wanted the guy to live, but wouldn't feel bad if he didn't because he obviously wasn't taking care of himself.

This morning after sleeping a little under two hours (just so you know my 'sleeping in' was only about eight hours, but I've got a bit of insomnia) I had to do another duty which was breakfast. Come to find out, the guy had come back at four in the morning. You know what the kicker to that was? He could have stayed at the hospital, but chose to come back so that he could smoke. This morning when I saw him, I had to talk to him. He was told that he never stopped breathing. I was pretty sure I told the medics, but maybe I forgot. I did tell him though. He wasn't even going to go to the VA hospital. I still don't know if he actually went, but he seemed a little more concerned after he heard that he stopped breathing and had to be blown into to start. I would rather not do that again to the same person, so I hope he gets his dumb ass back into the hospital. Plus, I probably gave him the cold I have, so he's probably sicker now than before.

I hope this satisfies the curiosity of everyone if they were wondering about my shout. I just wanted to come online and calm down, but ended up frustrated and tired. Well, at least I got some more sleep.
Edited by jayon on 12/06/2008 12:17

RayvenAlandria
Goodness, what a day you had.

Yeah, I agree the guy probably will end up dead soon anyway, but you still did a nice thing by trying to save him. If he's that addicted to smoking he's most likely going to collapse a lung soon. It's a shame he doesn't want to stay in the hospital so he can get better but there's not much you can do if he wants to live in denial.

Does this vet place help you find jobs and get an apartment or is it only a place to live while you try to get on your feet? I hear that some vet places are great and others suck, I hope you are staying at one of the good ones. Do they have any kind of counseling to help with depression? It's hard to find motivation if a person is gripped by clinical depression, they need medication to rebalanced their brain chemistry.

cheshiredragon
That old man reminds me of the guy(minus the smoking) that used to live a few doors down. My mother and her friend were walking by and saw him collapse on his walkway as he was walking outside and they did CPR on him. He was the most ungrateful asshole for the next year until he finally died. My mother was pissed too. She had just learned CPR, like 2mo before because she was doing teacher aide work at the elementary school and HAD to learn CPR. She said if she knew that guy was going to be an ass like that; she would have walked the other way.

The Guiness would have been a perfect top off to that stressful day. IF it was at the end anyway.
IF you suspect depression then send me a PM. I am in that boat and have been for MANY years. Bipolar, in 2sec can go from happy and cheerier, to fsck you I hate everything and everyone. Of course, I don't think it is as bad as the DRs played it up to be and I have seen other bipolar people just FLIP OUT. I just recently told my psychologist and all my DRs to kiss my ass and never went back to any appointments. They weren't working, I refuse medication and was tired of wasting money on something that doesn't work. I find talk therapy is the best for me and can usually lead to several days to weeks of feeling good if done right. So, like I say, if you are feeling down send me a PM. I am here. Grin
That's right, I said it...

catman
jayon: Wow, what a day. I smoked cigarettes for 25 years, but one day I decided to quit and I did, although it was very hard to stick to it. I've read that nicotine and heroin are the two most addictive substances. Regarding the guy you saved, good show. But you can't save someone from himself.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

jayon
Well, good new, after telling him that, he did go back to the hospital and he's in the VA right now for extended observation. I guess he cares about his health after all especially if it involves him dying.

This place is a place to help you find jobs, but it kind of sucks in doing that. The VA is notorious for not really treating a problem and just throwing drugs at it. I know for a fact that with real treatment (you know someone to talk to or something like that) I get better. I used to treat myself in this, but stopped when I got married and haven't started back up as I've developed a block in spilling my entire life to complete strangers (well, the important parts anyway). I've changed somewhat.

Cheshiredragon, I could never walk away unless I knew (or at least somewhat thought) someone else was taking care of it. I don't care if I would rather you dead. Hell, if I shot you, I'd probably try to revive you. What good is a dead enemy anyway, right? That's not the point though. The point is that I couldn't just walk away. I help people all the time, and in an extreme case, I feel even more obligated for some reason. I'd say it was my parents that instilled this in me, but not really. I've developed this partly on my own, and I'm still not sure why. I guess I figure that how I'm helping the species.

Yeah, I was wishing for the Guiness after the fact. There is no suspecting, I know I've got a problem with depression and I've been diagnosed with Bipolar among the other things I have. I'm not my brother though, who is ten times worse than me, but I know there is a problem. Sometimes, it helps me to help others. Gives me a sense of accomplishment and keeps the mind occupied. I think that's why I like to teach things. As far as meds, I've don't just stop taking them. I convence the doctors not to prescribe them anymore. I guess that my indirect way of saying I need more than that, but they just don't see it. Some doctors are too wrapped up in their work. Hell, I would be if I were one. I might take you up on that if I get especially down, but I've been controlling it quite well. Me and my wife have completely stopped communicating, and while that's a sad thing, it has stopped the rollercoaster that was my emotions. I think her best friend died (she had breast cancer that spread to her brain) and is probably morning, but I don't know because she hasn't answered in a while and I'm not going to pry. I don't want to. We really aren't even married anymore. We haven't been for two years now.

Catman, yeah, I know. That works for me too. The more people try to 'save' me in something, the worse I usually get. I have to be the one to want to do it, or I will do opposite of what other people want. I've never been one to follow the crowd on things.

Hypatia
Oh jayon, what a day indeed.

I tip my hat to you for a job well done in helping someone who was in such need, and also for telling him that he'd in fact stopped breathing. Considering what he'd been through, it's possible he'd been told by medical staff but forgot about it. But the important thing is that you spoke with him after he returned too soon from the hospital and that could very well have been what made him decide to go back.

There are people who would have turned their backs, for any number of reasons. I'm glad you didn't. That's awesome.

jayon
Hypatia wrote:

I tip my hat to you for a job well done in helping someone who was in such need, and also for telling him that he'd in fact stopped breathing. Considering what he'd been through, it's possible he'd been told by medical staff but forgot about it. But the important thing is that you spoke with him after he returned too soon from the hospital and that could very well have been what made him decide to go back.

There are people who would have turned their backs, for any number of reasons. I'm glad you didn't. That's awesome.

Thank you. I'm happy he went back. I kind of felt like an ass for yelling at him when he got back from the hospital, but at least he opened his eyes and went back.

cheshiredragon
jayon wrote:
Hypatia wrote:

Thank you. I'm happy he went back. I kind of felt like an ass for yelling at him when he got back from the hospital, but at least he opened his eyes and went back.

Maybe, it was your yelling at him that made him go back Smile
That's right, I said it...

Cynic
If it isn't too personal Jayon, I'm curious about your opinion of suboptimally functional (that's as polite a term as I can think of, sorry) members of the military. With the relatively fantastic medical response modern soldiers receive coupled with increased tendency of soldiers to fall prey to explosives, there's been a lot of focus on injury-related mental difficulties. "Shellshock" is obviously something that has been well-recorded since "shells" were invented.

What I'd like your opinion on is this: do you think the military has a higher percentage than the general population of similarly effected people who slipped through the "screening process"? Many of the people I've known who have joined the military or are persistently in prison seem to thrive moreso in such environments than not.

jayon
Cynic wrote:
If it isn't too personal Jayon, I'm curious about your opinion of suboptimally functional (that's as polite a term as I can think of, sorry) members of the military. With the relatively fantastic medical response modern soldiers receive coupled with increased tendency of soldiers to fall prey to explosives, there's been a lot of focus on injury-related mental difficulties. "Shellshock" is obviously something that has been well-recorded since "shells" were invented.

What I'd like your opinion on is this: do you think the military has a higher percentage than the general population of similarly effected people who slipped through the "screening process"? Many of the people I've known who have joined the military or are persistently in prison seem to thrive moreso in such environments than not.

Wow, that's a subject they will work on for a long time. The problem might be how many people are messed up (at least slightly) when they join the military in the first place. There is no way of really knowing, because they try to screen these people out, but hey, they took me in didn't they? Haha... Ok, back to reality. The percentage of 'problems' among the population of veterans is higher than in the general population. Every shelter I have gone in every state is mainly veterans. Some of the problem might lie in the institution itself. It's easy to live in the military and become accustomed to the lifestyle. Kind of like being in prison. You no longer have to worry about food, insurance, a place to stay, nothing, it's all provided. Hell, the first few years you are in they won't even let you stay in a place of your own off base. I never did stay off base. Apartment life is lonely and expensive. You come from living somewhere you have to interact with everyone around you and it's all paid for, to a place where it's hard to interact with anybody if you still act like you did when you were in. You have to a job and make sure it pays ok. Find and apartment and deal with utils and all that. You have to find a social network. You have to make arrangements when you do this or do that. Yes, the military is strenuous, but the job is for the most part simple. Life for the most part is very, very simple. You have but one or two objectives at a time. You get out of that life, and you have millions of objectives, and nobody tells you which to do. You have no given friend base anymore as you don't live around like minded people anymore.

For me, I probably grabbed onto people too much and tried to fit in desparately after I got out, but I never did before. I joined the military because I was bored one day. I mean, who does that? Either way, I think my problems stem before the military, and I wonder for how many others it's the same way. I have a very hard time asking for help, but am trying. Sometimes, I think of just going out to the mesa and living until I die.

Jump to Forum: