View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » Funny Zone
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Pope's Visit
catman
The Pope is visiting town and all the residents are dressed in their best Sunday clothes. Everyone lines up on Main Street hoping for a personal blessing from the Pope.

One local man has put on his best suit and he's sure the Pope will stop and talk to him. He is standing next to an exceptionally down-trodden bum who doesn't smell very good. As the Pope comes walking by he leans over and says something to the bum and then walks right by the local man.

He can't believe it, then it hits him. The Pope won't talk to him, he's concerned for the unfortunate people: the poor and feeble ones. Thinking fast, he gives the bum $20 to trade clothes with him. He puts on the bum's clothes and runs down the street to line up for another chance for the Pope to stop and talk to him. Sure enough, the Pope walks right up to him this time, leans over close and says, "I thought I told you to get the hell out of here."
Edited by catman on 12/07/2008 03:07
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
lol. Yep, those good 'ol religious values, hard at work.

BTW Cat - please forgive me, but I can't help it. I must say I just noticed your member info area, under your avatar, is beginning to look a bit like an address: '1214 Fort Worth, Texas'.

:lol:

Pfft

cheshiredragon
His real address is 1214 Therearenogods ave, Ft. Worth, TX 76102
Edited by cheshiredragon on 12/07/2008 04:17
That's right, I said it...

catman
Huh. I guess my joke wasn't as funny to anyone else as it was to me. Oh, well. Maybe one has to be an ex-Catholic, or a bass player, or deranged in my particular way.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Hypatia
I thought it was funny Cat - thus the first line of my post.

:wink:

catman
And I appreciate it. I had hoped it would get a few more views. I suppose that with my unremittingly serious attitude, I'm not known as a jokester.Wink:lol:

Bob of QF
I thought it was funny, and I re-read it again, and again I laughed.

It encapsulates one of the problems with belief in a god who is willing to magically interfere with human affairs, but allows evil to remain.

Nicely done.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

catman
I can well imagine a Pope doing something like that, being accustomed to living in such splendor. Besides, the bum wouldn't look good in photos or on television. The Pope wouldn't want to give people the idea that he wants such riffraff around.

Cynic
Definately a funny one -- I've already got a few people in mind that I'm going to share it with, assuming I can retain it long enough to do so. I've got a better head for concepts than actual quotes. And music, I guess. I've always regretted that my manual dexterity and my musical memory and sense of timing couldn't be more aligned.

Sinny
Ha ha ha ha ha that was funny. I thought sure it was going to say the Pope leaned down and sad something like the god would bless him and then the bum would believe it because he got $20 bucks for his dirty old clothes. Then recognize the new guy in the bums clothes and say you jerk you just paid 20 bucks for crappy old clothes and made me look good. I like your ending much better Catman. Sheesh I've been gettig way too much xtian mail to think it would be what I thought. Well of course the ending fits what the Pope would say or think...can't have people thinking the god doesn't answer prayers and bless them with wealth.

catman
Cynic: It just takes a lot of practice to play an instrument well. I think that many people who don't think they can play an instrument simply haven't tried the right one yet.

Sinny: I can't honestly take credit for the joke. It's from Garrison Keillor of the Prairie Home Companion program on PBS radio. But I'm glad you liked it.Smile

Jump to Forum: