Print Thread
Victory against Xtian vanity plates
RayvenAlandria
For once, a bit of good news.

http://www.au.org...e&id=10191

General-Pryce
good

cheshiredragon
Good, yes. They still have work to do. I saw a plate at a stop light on the way home the other day and can't remember if it was an Illinois or Mississippi plate that had it but, it read "in God we trust." yeah, yeah, it is our money slogan but, I don't want it on the money either. I have the pic on my phone. it is too small and dark on the phone too see. I'll edit it a bit and throw it up here later. After I GET HOME FROM THESE 12HR shifts!!! The shite I do for xmas gifts, this one wants a Wii the other wants a bike I want and XBoX 360 for hacking. OK, mindless rant, the hours are long and I am hungry and tired.
That's right, I said it...

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
For once, a bit of good news.

http://www.au.org...e&id=10191

Wooo hoo!

'bout time, too.
Quantum Junction: Use both lanes

Reality is that which is left, after you stop believing.

Bob of QF
cheshiredragon wrote:... I want and XBoX 360 for hacking.

I cheerfully admit I'm ignorant, but do you know anything much about the 360?

I was thinking of getting one, mainly to play BluRay movies on, but also to have a console if I wanted.

Thoughts? Warnings?

cheshiredragon
I do know quite a bit about them but, probably not enough and I will know a TON about them after I take on this expected 3-6mo project. I am buying a 17in widescreen HD monitor and modding the XBox 360 into a portable gaming system. A laptop like design complete with keyboard and wireless adapter. I have a concept design at home on a napkin and a better one on paper...IF you'd like to see my idea.

XBox 360 does not have a Blu-Ray Drive, it plays only HD-DVD, the PlayStation3 has the BD(Blu-Ray Drive). The XBox 360 has a bug, which is caused by overheating called "The Red Ring of Death"
can be read here: http://editorials...-Death/p1/
There is a fix for it that involves wrapping the console in dry bathroom towels for a min while it is on. Weird as it may seem the problem caused mainly by overheating can be resolved by trapping the heat in? WTF Mate^^
I have seen it work with my own two eyes.
I know nothing of the PS3, technically. I have never bothered with one nor played one yet. I hear good things but, have no warning for either console except the one on the XBox which I hear is rare AND M$ will fix/replace the console free of charge, even shipping. Of course you may have to verify the later.

cheshiredragon
The picture I took was garbage and could not see the plate. I did my research and this is the plate.
4.bp.blogspot.com/_PnDOfqMAVGg/Rgh5mzq2v8I/AAAAAAAAAAg/oOaL2GMRzTw/s200/InGodWeTrust.jpg
Edited by cheshiredragon on 12/12/2008 00:49

Doubting Thomas
Kansas has "In God We Trust" plates also, which was just passed last year, I think. I haven't seen them yet, but I'm sure I'll see them everywhere soon. Too bad we can't get rid of these, too, but the Supreme Court has ruled that the phrase "In God We Trust" is such a generic statement that it doesn't have any religious meaning. This is, of course, quite untrue, because it's all the Christians in this country who want everything stamped with "In God We Trust" or "One Nation Under God." The First Amendment states that there should be no official establishment of religion, and promoting belief in a god, any god, by the government officially establishes religion.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

RayvenAlandria
We have an Xbox 360 and a PS3. The PS3 plays blu-ray, not the 360. The PS3 seems to be far superior in many ways, although I hate Sony as much as I do Microsoft. If I didn't have a kidlet who wanted game consoles, I would not buy either one, just because I hate the predatory business practices and crooked things both companies do. (like Sony inventing rootkits and lying about them for years).

For anyone getting a PS3, do research. The newer ones are actually shitty compared to the older models. They took out the hardware method that gave backwards compatibility with older PS games, and in some new models, they even removed the software emulation that allowed some backwards compatibility. They also removed the USB ports. The best buy is a model that is no longer made, the one with a 60g hard drive and four USB ports.

catman
DT: If "In God We Trust" has no religious meaning, why are so many Christians so fanatical about it? The Supreme Court was being disingenuous.
Edited by catman on 12/12/2008 02:05
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
Of course it's a religious phrase. I think the Supreme Court was just trying to placate both sides, which didn't work. Everyone in this country knows which god people are referring to when they say "in God we trust." There's only one god that goes by the name "God." And since it is capitalized and says "in God" and not "in a god we trust," it is referring to the Judeo-Christian god. But the thing is that even saying "in a god we trust" is still a religious motto and establishing religion, even though it's not referring to any particular one. And in my opinion is a violation of the separation of church & state.
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
It is definitely a violation of the separation of church & state. But the conservative Supreme Court majority will do what it can to circumvent the separation concept.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Bob of QF
RayvenAlandria wrote:
We have an Xbox 360 and a PS3. The PS3 plays blu-ray, not the 360. The PS3 seems to be far superior in many ways, although I hate Sony as much as I do Microsoft. If I didn't have a kidlet who wanted game consoles, I would not buy either one, just because I hate the predatory business practices and crooked things both companies do. (like Sony inventing rootkits and lying about them for years).

For anyone getting a PS3, do research. The newer ones are actually shitty compared to the older models. They took out the hardware method that gave backwards compatibility with older PS games, and in some new models, they even removed the software emulation that allowed some backwards compatibility. They also removed the USB ports. The best buy is a model that is no longer made, the one with a 60g hard drive and four USB ports.

Thanks for the info.

Are you quite certain about the 360, though? I read somewhere or other (can't find it anymore) that the best BluRay player out there was a game console, either 360 or PS3, and you have the added bennie of a console, if you like.

I know the 360 is basically a PC with physically-modified "ports" that are really USB ports in disguise, and that there are some hacks that let you attach mouse and keyboard.

I also know the 360 runs Linux, with another hack (at least according to several websites I've seen).

*sigh* I guess I just can't go to the local "XX-mart" and buy one off the shelves after all.....

....(already lamenting the inevitable research)....

Bob of QF
Doubting Thomas wrote:
Of course it's a religious phrase. I think the Supreme Court was just trying to placate both sides, which didn't work. Everyone in this country knows which god people are referring to when they say "in God we trust." There's only one god that goes by the name "God." And since it is capitalized and says "in God" and not "in a god we trust," it is referring to the Judeo-Christian god. But the thing is that even saying "in a god we trust" is still a religious motto and establishing religion, even though it's not referring to any particular one. And in my opinion is a violation of the separation of church & state.
catman wrote:
It is definitely a violation of the separation of church & state. But the conservative Supreme Court majority will do what it can to circumvent the separation concept.

I agree with both posts.

I will add this: Obama is president-elect.

We can but hope to see a couple of "old guys" retire in the next 4....

Jump to Forum: