View Thread

Atheists Today » Easy Reading » The Lounge
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Interesting article about Giftmas traditions
RayvenAlandria
I thought y'all might find this article interesting. There are links to other discussions at the bottom of the page as well.

http://atheism.ab...s.htm?nl=1

catman
Interesting. I knew some of it already, but not all. Thanks for posting it.
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Doubting Thomas
I knew few Christmas traditions had anything to do with Christianity or the birth of Jesus, but this article makes Christianity look like a relative newcomer to the holiday we celebrate on Dec. 25th. So much for all the xtians running around talking about "the reason for the season."

Next time my father-in-law says that atheists shouldn't take Christmas off because they don't believe in the Christian aspect of the holiday, I'm going to ask him why he put up a tree in his living room, decorated it with lights, and has other decorations around his house which have no religious connection. If he can celebrate with pagan traditions, so can I.

Of course, I ought to say that if he's only celebrating the religious part of the holiday, then he should only go to church at midnight on Christmas Eve and then back to work the next day.
Edited by Doubting Thomas on 12/17/2008 02:18
You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you.

catman
DT: I'd like to be a fly on the wall listening to your father-in-law's response! The reason for the season is the tilt of the earth's axis.Wink
"If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas." - General Sheridan

Sinny
I've seen this site before and sometimes get in in my e-mail when I remember to check in. Oh man I could just hear my Sister going bat shit over this. I'm tempted to show it ot her on xmas. I won't though because my one Brother wo'yt come to xmas this year due to a fight his wife hadn with my other Brother's wife. I don't need to add to another fith in the family. Of course the men were wrong but the women took the blame and my niece wasn't allowed to get a gifft from her Aunt and Uncle because her Mother hates the wife of her husbands Brother (the uncle) merry fucing xmas sheesh. I'd send money to my neice so she could at least buy something she never has money to buy but I don't put it past her Mother to keep the money for herself.

On the plus side this time I'm not involved in the fight with one of the wives as has happened in the past. Ha ha now it's the other wife fighting with her. Pfft
Edited by Sinny on 12/17/2008 18:55

Doubting Thomas
Yeah I think it's funny how Christians think they have a monopoly on the winter holidays, and even get all worked up when someone says "happy holidays" in place of "merry Christmas." And yet they put up Christmas trees, mistletoe, yule logs, and take their kids to see Santa Claus (which really doesn't have anything to do with the Jesus birth story). They're also the same ones who celebrate Easter with Easter eggs, Easter bunny, etc.

I need to find that passage in the bible where it tells you not to be like the foolish heathens and decorate Christmas trees.

Doubting Thomas
Ah, I found it. Jeremiah 10:2-8.

Jeremiah 10:2-8 states: "Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not... They are altogether brutish and foolish."

RayvenAlandria
I'll be damned, a bible verse I did not know of. I read the book cover to cover many times and that one did not stick in my memory for some reason. What a great verse to throw in the faces of Christians who start that "reason for the season" shit. Thanks for finding it DT.
Edited by RayvenAlandria on 12/18/2008 00:51

Doubting Thomas
Yeah I think mention it if my FIL brings up the crap about atheists not believing in God but taking off work for Christmas again. Heck, if I had my way I'd make Christians work that day, since I've usually had to the past 14 years. But I do want to challenge him on it by asking why he celebrates Christmas with all those other pagan traditions that have nothing to do with the Jesus birth story.

Hypatia
It's an interesting article, and even though I've heard or read of some of these, there are some I haven't.

I get tired of xtians claiming the birth of Jesus is the so called 'reason for the season' - but it's so typical of so many to either ignore what we do know about history, or to misconstrue it to fit their agenda. For the 'average christian' it's anything to 'defend' the way they want it to be, even though there's so much to show it isn't so.

Sinny - right now just isn't the time to show this article to your sister. But that doesn't mean you couldn't show it to her after giftmas. I think it's better to show someone the truth. It doesn't mean you have to have an argument with her - or even a conversation if she won't have a calm one. But you could either print it out or email it to her, and then leave it at that. She's a big girl - she's responsible for how she chooses to handle things, and if she doesn't like the information or that you gave it to her, she can toss it. But she can't say she didn't know the real (his)story.
Edited by Hypatia on 12/18/2008 21:28

catman
Excellent idea, Hypatia. The problem is that she is likely to disregard the real history, of course. But as you say, it will put the ball in her court.

Jump to Forum: